• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do you tell the difference between wanted thoughts and unwanted thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleOrphanAndy

Jan 25, 2008
✟210.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
At first glance this sounds like a stupid question but if you suffer from intrusive thoughts all the time then youll probably understand where im comming from. There are times when i cannot honestly tell for sure if a horrible thought is from my heart or from my mental illness .
I dont know how to discirn at times . This is fighthning.

Andy

kaykay637

Hi, everybody! Have a blessed day!
Jan 23, 2008
Dallas, Texas
✟12,628.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At first glance this sounds like a stupid question but if you suffer from intrusive thoughts all the time then youll probably understand where im comming from. There are times when i cannot honestly tell for sure if a horrible thought is from my heart or from my mental illness .

Andy
Trust me on this if you can, Andy. Even your attempt to determine which thoughts are wanted/unwanted is OCD!

This whole "overthinking" everything process is OCD. I'm not being patronizing. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the coffee mug! I know what you're doing, and it's OCD.

Try to walk away from ALL of the thinking about your thoughts and thought processes. It's the best way to "see the forest for the trees" with OCD.

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Andy
Right On!! KayKay - so glad to have you on board here.

Hi Andy,
Here's something that might be of help. Dr. Philipson says that "a fool proof litmus test for telling the difference between an unwanted OCD thought and a legitimate/important thought is to ask yourself, "Did the thought or question come with an associated anxiety, feeling of urgency or feelings of guilt." So I'm gonna have to agree with KayKay that even the question - "how do I know if the horrible thought is from my heart or from my mental illness?", falls into the category of an OCD thought. Because one - it terrifies you and two you are trying desperately to solve it or seek reassurance about it. This is actually a very typical OCD tactic so rest assured that instead of chasing that thought around, give it the boot and just ignore it.
Praying for you,
Mitzi

Upvote 0

LittleOrphanAndy

Jan 25, 2008
✟210.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
thank you both ..

kay if i could interject a little humor ..

you said trust you if i can..

when have you ever known someone with severe OCD to TRUST anyone..?
LOL..

thank you i know what you are saying .

And mitzi .. that is cool i hadnt thought of it that way i will keep that in mind .

God Bless You Both

Andy

Upvote 0

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here's something that might be of help. Dr. Philipson says that "a fool proof litmus test for telling the difference between an unwanted OCD thought and a legitimate/important thought is to ask yourself, "Did the thought or question come with an associated anxiety, feeling of urgency or feelings of guilt."

....This is actually a very typical OCD tactic so rest assured that instead of chasing that thought around, give it the boot and just ignore it.
Praying for you,
Mitzi

Great one! This is right on time for me!!!!

Lot's of pearls on the forum today:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

pw89

Jan 11, 2008
✟15,192.00
Faith
Christian

Hi Andy,
Here's something that might be of help. Dr. Philipson says that "a fool proof litmus test for telling the difference between an unwanted OCD thought and a legitimate/important thought is to ask yourself, "Did the thought or question come with an associated anxiety, feeling of urgency or feelings of guilt." So I'm gonna have to agree with KayKay that even the question - "how do I know if the horrible thought is from my heart or from my mental illness?", falls into the category of an OCD thought. Because one - it terrifies you and two you are trying desperately to solve it or seek reassurance about it. This is actually a very typical OCD tactic so rest assured that instead of chasing that thought around, give it the boot and just ignore it.
Praying for you,
Mitzi

Question: "Did the thought or question come with an associated anxiety, feeling of urgency or feelings of guilt." For the last one, feelings of guilt: is this ALONG WITH all those other feelings of anxiety and urgency, or just isolated, by itself? Because sometimes, would not feelings of guilt, alone, by itself, be your conscience or the Holy Spirit working in you through your conscience, or in general, revealing to you a wrongdoing/sin that you have committed?

Thank You, everyone.

-pw

Upvote 0

QUannie

Jun 22, 2007
✟7,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,
I talked with a Pastor friend of mine, he explained the difference between conviction, {which is what the Holy Spirit will give us to bring us to repent and confess}and condemnation, which is from our flesh and the enemy.
I did not know the difference and I hope this helps,
conviction drives you to the cross~condmnation drives you away from the cross!

Hope it helps!
Q

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Excellent help here. Love the quote Mitzi. Now I feel much more confident about thinking "Ok that thought is not from me. It's the OCD". There's a huge help.

& QAnn your friend defined the difference very well. It comes down to does it drive one to the cross or away from the cross. So simple...so basic.

Upvote 0

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Seems like ocd schemes up new outragious thoughts that get your attention and get you questioning whether or not it's your ocd.

Mine has taken such a sinister turn and I just can't let it go. Yesterday morning, I had a small group Bible study before work. When it was 5:00 AM, I just did not feel like getting up. The night before I was reading something about spiritual warfare and attending church, etc. I'm sure it left a scary impression on me and gave something for my ocd to chew on, because before I could even make an attempt to get up, the thought "devil, let me sleep" or something of that nature, popped into my head. 27 hours later it is still bothering me. I confessed this to God, but I still have "that feeling."

The good news is I fought my way out of bed because I was so scared of what I had "prayed." This is making me sick, though. The other good news is that I am seeing a psychiatrist this morning. Please pray. I am excited and nervous about this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Seems like ocd schemes up new outragious thoughts that get your attention and get you questioning whether or not it's your ocd.

Mine has taken such a sinister turn and I just can't let it go. Yesterday morning, I had a small group Bible study before work. When it was 5:00 AM, I just did not feel like getting up. The night before I was reading something about spiritual warfare and attending church, etc. I'm sure it left a scary impression on me and gave something for my ocd to chew on, because before I could even make an attempt to get up, the thought "devil, let me sleep" or something of that nature, popped into my head. 27 hours later it is still bothering me. I confessed this to God, but I still have "that feeling."

The good news is I fought my way out of bed because I was so scared of what I had "prayed." This is making me sick, though. The other good news is that I am seeing a psychiatrist this morning. Please pray. I am excited and nervous about this.
Sending prayers your way Marc

Upvote 0

babegirl111

Jan 17, 2008
✟7,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am praying for you Marcb. I know how it feels to be half sleep and half awake and a disgusting thought pops into your head and you race out of bed! It is really hard but I have been there. Just keep praying. The fact that you hurried out of bed is a good sign!! Love ya much! GOD BLESS ALL!

Upvote 0

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This morning went well (my first appointment with a psychiatrist). Thank you for all your prayers. I learned a lot about myself. I will increase the medication (lexapro), and begin cognitive-behavioral therapy. My psychiatrist goes to my church and so it's nice to have a believer that can relate.

He mentioned Romans 7, which I relate to well. He reiterated that we do have "the flesh" that is broken and doesn't do what we would like it to. For us with ocd, it's our minds, which presents a special challenge (as we painfully know). But Romans 8 tells us nothing can separate us from the love of Christ. He added "nor ocd" in the list that I think is in verse 38.

That being said, we are going to work hard and set high goals for treating the ocd. Meds and intense cognitive behavioral therapy, for which he referred me out to a psychologist who specializes in CBT. I have yet to talk with her to see if we will do exposure therapy. So, we'll see. She also goes to my church. I just sense that the body of Christ has cast a huge net, and I include you all and thank you all for your support and prayers.

Marc

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.