Norfolk, VA
✟1,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Susie - I am not sure if I am the most reliable person to tell you how to study the Bible. I once heard that a person should start with the Gospel of John - am not sure why, but it is one of my favorite Books of the Bible.

Also, you can start by studing different people in the Bible - or looking up different words in the back of the Bible and look up all the references to them and write them down.

I believe there is a "Daily" place on this site and that might have a reading plan for the Bible.

Sure hopes this helps and may God bless you in your search for Him.

Hedi

Upvote 0

paulnoel

Grace and peace be yours in abundance!!!
Apr 5, 2005
Cambridge UK
✟10,032.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Hello susie
Before you open your bible, sit and pray, asking God to show you what He wants you to know through His word the bible and how He wants you to put this into practice in your life.
Have you ever opened your bible and asked the following
1..What does this passage really mean?
2..How does it apply to my life?
3..I love God; Why can't I understand what he is saying to me through His word

Firstly start with a book in the bible you can relate to, don't try to read the whole book in one go. read a chapter at a time, then re-read that same chapter
seeing were god is leading you, take your time. Apply God's word to what's happing in your life, this is a vital part of your relationship with God. it is the evidence that you are obeying Him.
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourself. Do what it says." (JAMES 1 v 22)
I hope this will help you. if I can help please feel free to pm me.
God bless you.
Paul.​

Upvote 0
S

Susie777

Gosh, that is great guys. I have read the Bible through several times. Once I found God because Benny Hinn helped me to see Him as a Spirit. So I guess I have to get into the Spirit when I read also and let Him lead me. I am just not going to give up until I find God again.
I know that He lives in my spirit. But sometimes He is sooooo silent. God bless and thank you for your input.

Upvote 0

Levi44

Feb 26, 2005
Norfolk, VA
✟1,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Susie777 said:
Gosh, that is great guys. I have read the Bible through several times. Once I found God because Benny Hinn helped me to see Him as a Spirit. So I guess I have to get into the Spirit when I read also and let Him lead me. I am just not going to give up until I find God again.
I know that He lives in my spirit. But sometimes He is sooooo silent. God bless and thank you for your input.

Hi Susie - the advise from Paul was right on and I am going to apply it to my Bible reading!
Maybe you have to spend some quiet time alone so that you can hear God speak to you. I pray daily that He will keep His loving arms around me and at certain points of the day, I can almost swear that He is :amen:

Keep in touch - and God bless you - Hedi

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
There are some great Bible helps, like Bible movies, you can listen to Bibles on tapes on CDs (helps me so much on my walkmen and car radio), also christian TV like Sky Angel satellite, and more tapes from CBD (christian book distributors, has lots of stuff), and Vision Video- you can request free catalogs online that you can recieve in the mail. I also recommend seeing Voice of the Martyrs's ministry, they help Christians see about persecution, past and present against christians, they have free newsletter that's really good to pray for.

TNT (I believe) has some cool bible movies, through Vision Video, so far I have Moses (includes the wilderness stuff) and I have seen Joseph, they are done very well for Bible movies. What I mean is, some bible movies add a little drama, these movies are good, and are really close to the bible with only minor variations (gotta keep reading and listening to actual bible too).

And ask God to help you, He will!

Upvote 0

wheater

Jul 29, 2005
✟15,239.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Hi Susie... I love your question, because it is something I'd like to know too! I don't know that I can ever know the bible well enough.
I am just not going to give up until I find God again.
I know that He lives in my spirit. But sometimes He is sooooo silent.
Good for you for not giving up. You will feel his spirit again because you are seeking Him with all your heart. Psalms tells us to cry aloud for insight and understanding. I try to do that whenever I open my bible to read.. I pray for God to give me insight and understanding into his word, and to engrave it upon the tablet of my heart so that I will be able to recall his word whenever it is needed. And it has worked! He is so good to answer our prayers.

Thank you again for such a good question!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpokenFor2005

.... needs more Cowbell...
Aug 9, 2005
Midwest
✟580.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
What a great question! The answers here have been ones that I'm going to apply to my reading as well! Thank you!

I actually ran out and bought "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bible" awhile back...:o But then, hey, I AM a complete idiot when it comes to some parts of the Bible, esp. much of the OT. :help:

And it turns out that it's a really decent book for Bible neophytes, not too silly and Bell/Campbell do know their Word... for serious study, though, it's a little too basic.

It's helping me get through the OT, though, and anything that can do THAT.. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

PraiseReborn

Aug 22, 2005
Livingston, Montana
Visit site
✟15,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't know where to start either and I didn't yet have a church. So instead I went online to find bible correspondence courses, that way I can learn at my own pace and I usually have booklets and resources to study from and keep for future references. I'm doing several at the moment and I highly recommend trying The Bread of Life Bible School and Does God Exist? Correspondence Course.

Also you might want to try Amazing Facts Publishers for their free booklets. You can order as many as you like for free.

Upvote 0