• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do you manage to read the bible,pray, attend church ect despite your illness?

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I ask BC mental illness can clash with our faith real bad...

I made a post abt my incident...ao I'm wondering how slow I should go...what do you do?

Thanks for your responses.

Reactions: 777Sloan

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For myself, Spirituality has gradually become more focused toward a personal one-on-one with God over the years. Over time I have come to focus more and more on faith, prayer, and personal connection with God; with the social aspect of church, becoming more secondary.

If you are concerned individuals at church may judge or not understand you due to mental health difficulties, I suggest deepening in inner spiritual connection with God before, and beyond, all else. Contemplative Prayer can be helpful for this.
But what do you do when even praying makes you anxious...you know what I mean? I feel my anxiety is getting way out of control

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Absolutely, it's actually been fairly normal for me to feel anxious while praying over the years, though it has gotten easier as the years have gone by.

What I have found is when I am in contemplative prayer, and hoping to relieve my anxiety, fear, suffering, I will be stewing in those feelings for some time, even while striving to deepen Divine connection with God.

However, I find if I stick with it, those feelings of suffering, fear, and anxiety go away, after about a half hour (usually) to hour, with the "peace that passeth all understanding" gradually arising to transmute those feelings.

Whatever the case, the Presence of God always comes, but one must be able to be still (Be Still and Know That I Am God) through the storm... It is not easy at first, it may even feel like you are being tortured and going insane, with every fiber of your being screaming to get up and leave...but if you stick with it...you will find the "peace that passeth all understanding."

In any event, in the worst Hells I have faced...that is all I have ever truly been able to find solace within...The Peace of God.
Wow thank you so much for your feedback and responses... So I guess I hafta stick with it despite my anxiiousness.....and hoope that peace comes...all I can do is hope

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps you are looking for some sort of easy, automatic solution...and so, you may look for a very long time before realizing no such worldly thing exists. Some do choose to sweep their spiritual-emotional-mental sufferings under the rug by pursuing drugs, legal or otherwise, alcohol, smoking, and/or engaging in various worldly distractions to numb the pain.

It is not my place to judge these things, each must find what works for them in their own unique individual path. Perhaps what I have expressed here is not to be of merit for yourself or others, but if nothing else, at least know there is a way out.

When you are ready, you will find it. Knock and the door shall be opened; seek and ye shall find; ask and it shall be given.
I've never turns to drugs..i dont drink or smoke...just trying to form some semblance of a relationship with god..while struggling with my disorder, GAD.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
However, I find if I stick with it, those feelings of suffering, fear, and anxiety go away, after about a half hour (usually) to hour, with the "peace that passeth all understanding" gradually arising to transmute those feelings.

Amen. I have found these verses insightful.

Psalms 27:14
Wait on the Lord;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the Lord!

Psalms 43:5
Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God;
For I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance and my God.

Upvote 0