how do you know which church preaches the full truth?

WagginDog

Jan 20, 2008
From Virginia originally. I'm a suburbite.
✟15,883.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
JesusnamefollowerofChrist said:
the Lord said broad is the way that leads to destruction and narrow is the way to eternal life so why take the way of the majority?
Interpretation: the narrow way is the way of humility and does not depend on who is next to you. You also should not be by yourself but should be in fellowship. Remember in Matthew 24:37 two people can be working together in a field, but one is taken and the other is left. Assume with me for a moment that the narrow way means humility. Humility is the thing that allows one to receive the gospel, because in Jesus parable of the sower and the seed, the seed grows as long as the soil is soft and deep. [Mark 4:14] What gets in the way are rocks, weeds, and hardness which correspond to 'lack of depth or not much to grow in', 'worldly concerns such as wealth', and 'pride'. You can be with the majority yet also find the narrow way if you do it humbly. The gospels frequently contrast Jesus humility and the pride of his opponents.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
can anyone answer this question?
how do we know what church preaches full truth?

We won't know. My blunt opinion is that no church preaches the "full truth". Every church is a product of mankind, and represents a group's attempt to explain and relate to God. They are ALL flawed to some extent.

But as others have said, don't wait until that "perfect" religion appears before you. It is like finding a spouse. Some people wait for the "perfect" other, and either they never find that person or are ultimately disappointed with the person they marry.

Another reason not to worry about which is the right church is simply because, if you read the Gospels with an open mind and heart, you will realize that Jesus did not command any of his disciples to join a church (despite what Catholics and other Christian denominations may try to tell you). He commanded us to love God and love one another. He never said we had to join any religious organization, that we had to attend any type of liturgy on a certain regularity, or that we had to follow certain exact rituals and rubrics to find the Realm of God. Nope, He said instead that we find that realm around us and within us (and within one another). Not in a book, not in a minister or pope, not in any doctrine (except the doctrine to love others as He loved us).

A church or congregation should be a vehicle for entering the Realm of God, because another thing that Jesus clearly taught is that we do this together. He embraced a variety of low lifes, many who would have not been welcome inside the synagogue or temple, or in the homes of respectable people. Yet in those same people he found real faith, over and over again. So your church should be a welcoming one, inclusive not exclusive, and radiating the Love that comes from Jesus. For where two or more gather in His name and are doing His will, there He will be among them. And that could be just about anywhere.

I will pray that you are successful in your quest.

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen!!! Well stated!:thumbsup:

We won't know. My blunt opinion is that no church preaches the "full truth". Every church is a product of mankind, and represents a group's attempt to explain and relate to God. They are ALL flawed to some extent.

But as others have said, don't wait until that "perfect" religion appears before you. It is like finding a spouse. Some people wait for the "perfect" other, and either they never find that person or are ultimately disappointed with the person they marry.

Another reason not to worry about which is the right church is simply because, if you read the Gospels with an open mind and heart, you will realize that Jesus did not command any of his disciples to join a church (despite what Catholics and other Christian denominations may try to tell you). He commanded us to love God and love one another. He never said we had to join any religious organization, that we had to attend any type of liturgy on a certain regularity, or that we had to follow certain exact rituals and rubrics to find the Realm of God. Nope, He said instead that we find that realm around us and within us (and within one another). Not in a book, not in a minister or pope, not in any doctrine (except the doctrine to love others as He loved us).

A church or congregation should be a vehicle for entering the Realm of God, because another thing that Jesus clearly taught is that we do this together. He embraced a variety of low lifes, many who would have not been welcome inside the synagogue or temple, or in the homes of respectable people. Yet in those same people he found real faith, over and over again. So your church should be a welcoming one, inclusive not exclusive, and radiating the Love that comes from Jesus. For where two or more gather in His name and are doing His will, there He will be among them. And that could be just about anywhere.

I will pray that you are successful in your quest.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2011
usa
✟7,675.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Interpretation: the narrow way is the way of humility and does not depend on who is next to you. You also should not be by yourself but should be in fellowship. Remember in Matthew 24:37 two people can be working together in a field, but one is taken and the other is left. Assume with me for a moment that the narrow way means humility. Humility is the thing that allows one to receive the gospel, because in Jesus parable of the sower and the seed, the seed grows as long as the soil is soft and deep. [Mark 4:14] What gets in the way are rocks, weeds, and hardness which correspond to 'lack of depth or not much to grow in', 'worldly concerns such as wealth', and 'pride'. You can be with the majority yet also find the narrow way if you do it humbly. The gospels frequently contrast Jesus humility and the pride of his opponents.

this sounds good and we need fellowship

Upvote 0

cmclinton

May 6, 2011
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look for a good BIBLE based fellowship where they research, teach and fellowship - utilizing the Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek to understand the scriptures. Remember there is NONE PERFECT save Jesus Christ. Get born again (as simple as ROM 10:9-10) with God and believe for His direction. His Word promises..."He who hungers and thirsts after righteousness SHALL be filled". God is NOT a denomination -and if you're looking for ONE perfect church you WILL be sorely disappointed. Hang around long enough to look for believing RESULTS - look for the Word working in your life. Check out "theway.org" A home based bible fellowship ministry and let me know if you'd be interested in checking out one of their fellowships.

Upvote 0

PenguinLover

Jun 20, 2011
Newfoundland, Canada
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am a born again Christian, but I am having major difficulties finding a church. I was raised catholic, went to a private catholic high school even, my father is salvation army so i have been to chuch there with my nan and I attended first baptist church from the age of 9 to 14. It was here I chose to take christ as my saviour. I was pulled from that church because my friends and family felt that it was a cult. So my parents forbid me to go there and i was placed into private catholic school. I have since gone back there a few times, and when i was underage i was encouraged to get baptised with 9out my parents consent and now that I am of age and at the time getting married I was unable because i was living common law .I find the people there very hypocritical and judgmental. I am praying and doing small bible studies on my own, but would like to be apart of a church community. I dont want to be deemed a religion but I would love to go to church. I am moving to borden ontario in a few months anyone know of a good church ? I am a newly wed and would like to enjoy a church wwith my husband so that he would chose to be saved also.. Help!!

Upvote 0

WagginDog

Jan 20, 2008
From Virginia originally. I'm a suburbite.
✟15,883.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
PenguinLover, If anyone asks you, you didn't hear this from me. I'll deny it.

Perhaps an Anglican church would work out for you? I have never been to one but in the first place lots of people in Canada are Anglicans, so you will meet people that way. You will likely find a church with a good sunday school with a variety of classes. Sometimes if people don't like the service they still may like the classes or vice-versa, or possibly the activities. A quick Google church turned up several Anglican churches in the Borden area. Definitely I would look for a church that has a sunday school class that you enjoy. Getting used to a new church can be difficult, so if you enjoy something about it then you will be more likely to stick around long enough to adjust and your husband is more likely to get interested if he feels it is doing you both some good.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The True Church will have/be:

One

Holy

Catholic

Apostolic

True to the Ecumenical Councils

Consistent with the Early Fathers (Ignatius of Antioch, Polycarp, Iraenaus, Clement of Rome, St. John Chrysostom, Ambrose, the Cappadocian Fathers, etc.

Sacramental (7, not 2 or 3)

Possesses an ancient liturgy, no kumbaya or folksy modernist junk

3-fold ministry consistent with the ancient Church

This is why I'm working on entering Holy Orthodoxy, the True Church of the Lord Jesus Christ! :)

Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
can anyone answer this question?
how do we know what church preaches full truth?

You study history to find what the early Church believed, then you find the modern day church that most closely matches that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Visit different churches and ask for the Leading of the Holy Spirit - you will feel peace at the church that God wants you to be in. If you are uncomfortable - try another - peace will come when you are where you are suppose to be.

This poem will help you - given to me by the Holy Spirit - http://diamondsfromheaven.com/ebk6.htm

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would start with Sola Scriptura---Scripture Alone. If the Church didn't teach or allow this type of thinking for 1,500 years, then I'd stick only to religions that existed before the 16th Century!

Is the Church true to the Ecumenical Councils like Nicaea and Chalcedon, etc.? Is the Church true to the teachings of the Fathers? Does the church you're looking at think the Church comes from the Bible or the Bible from the Church?

Is it one, holy, catholic (small C) and apostolic?

Is the liturgy ancient and true or is it given to modernity and innovation and humanity-centered? Is the worship God-centered or human-driven/centered?

Does it have even a hint of Calvin in it? That's a red flag! ^_^:liturgy:

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"can anyone answer this question? How do we know what church preaches full truth?"

NONE OF THEM preach the "Full Truth". ALL of 'em preach a mixture of TRUTH and ERROR. The proportion of truth to error varies from denomination to denomination. The Baptists (in my opinion), the Assemblies of God, and other Mainline protestant denominations teach a VERY HIGH percentage of truth.

There are style issues not really related to "truth and error" - some folks like/relate to "Liturgical" service formats, and some (like me) don't care for liturgy at all.

You HAVE in your house a written record of the truth (maybe several of 'em). You need to read it, and find out what it says. IF you don't BOTHER to do that, then you'll have no basis on which to judge the "Truth", or to judge "Error".

Upvote 0