How do you know God is really good?

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A friend of mine has a bumper sticker on her car that says “ I wish I were as perfect as my dog thinks I am” and judging from the behavior and actions of her dog, it is obvious that her dog believes she is perfect or about as close as one can get.

But what this dog does not understand is that she is the type of person who cheats when nobody is looking, refuses to admit she is wrong even when she knows she is, and has a tendency to forget to return things when she borrows from you.

But that’s because he is an unintelligent dog! As long as she gives him plenty of food and water, takes him for a walk every morning, and scratches that little spot behind his ear that causes his leg to kick, every now and then; (and a bunch of other stuff)as far as this dog is concerned, she is golden. But if the dog were as intelligent as us humans are, the dog would see her flaws and lose respect for her and would probably want nothing to do with her.

For Christians, as long as God answers their prayers, helps them become a better person, makes them feel better and makes a bunch of promises concerning the afterlife, (and a bunch of other stuff) as far as the Christian is concerned God is perfect! But just like my friends dog is not as intelligent as humans and is unable to see the flaws in his owner, Christians are not nearly as intelligent as God; how do they know this is not preventing you from seeing the flaws in God? And if you were able to see such flaws, how do they know they would still want to have anything to do with him?

Ken

Heidiii

Oct 8, 2011
✟7,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is one very thought provoking question, well done for asking it :)
Our limit is most certainly our own intelligence, He's far more intelligent than us, and if He wanted to he could fool us all. I don't think He's doing that, but I can not see a way I can say that with 100% certainty as I'd have to say that my own intelligence was as high as or nearly as high as His, which it definitely is not!

One thing that does come to mind though is the fact that as Christians, we are expected to love all. And I don't think it is right to turn your back on someone who is less than perfect.

Matthew 7:3-5
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

But yeah, that's definitely an interesting question.

Oh, and as an animal lover, I like the way that cats and dogs are my friend no matter what :)

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do i know God is good?

He traded His beloved Son's life for mine--Lovingly exchanging His greatest Treasure for a screwed-up piece of excrement. He Whose Grace is boundless and His mercy everlasting is the essence of Goodness, the source of all Good, and Goodness's one and only personification in a dry and wearied land.

May He, in His Grace, Mercy, and Goodness heal your sick and twisted cynicism and grant you a glimpse of His Love, Care, and Concern for you, and you will never question His Goodness again.

:bow:ABBA'S SLAVE,
ephraim

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A friend of mine has a bumper sticker on her car that says “ I wish I were as perfect as my dog thinks I am” and judging from the behavior and actions of her dog, it is obvious that her dog believes she is perfect or about as close as one can get.

But what this dog does not understand is that she is the type of person who cheats when nobody is looking, refuses to admit she is wrong even when she knows she is, and has a tendency to forget to return things when she borrows from you.

But that’s because he is an unintelligent dog! As long as she gives him plenty of food and water, takes him for a walk every morning, and scratches that little spot behind his ear that causes his leg to kick, every now and then; (and a bunch of other stuff)as far as this dog is concerned, she is golden. But if the dog were as intelligent as us humans are, the dog would see her flaws and lose respect for her and would probably want nothing to do with her.

For Christians, as long as God answers their prayers, helps them become a better person, makes them feel better and makes a bunch of promises concerning the afterlife, (and a bunch of other stuff) as far as the Christian is concerned God is perfect! But just like my friends dog is not as intelligent as humans and is unable to see the flaws in his owner, Christians are not nearly as intelligent as God; how do they know this is not preventing you from seeing the flaws in God? And if you were able to see such flaws, how do they know they would still want to have anything to do with him?

Ken

So what if we learn to Judge God outside of the standard He gave us?

then I guess we will find Him flawed by our new standard. This happens all the time here. The question then should be, does this new standard have any true merrit? Will this standard save us from the God we have condemned or found flawed?

Upvote 0

Lindas Place

Oct 11, 2011
United States
✟16,855.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ken
I have five children, they know I'm not perfect, they see my flaws and they still love me... I see nothing but perfection in God's love, He loves me and I'm not perfect... that makes Him perfect for me.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So what if we learn to Judge God outside of the standard He gave us?

I think it would be a mistake to assume the standard came from God; the standards we use come from ourselves. If they came from one source such as God, the standards would be consistent from person to person and as you are well aware of; that is not the case in the real world.
then I guess we will find Him flawed by our new standard. This happens all the time here.
Are you saying your God is flawed when judged according to human standards of good?
The question then should be, does this new standard have any true merrit?
It only has merit to those who use human standards; which is all of us.
Will this standard save us from the God we have condemned or found flawed?
Not if this God we have condemned or found flawed is more powerful than us!

K

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have five children, they know I'm not perfect, they see my flaws and they still love me... I see nothing but perfection in God's love, He loves me and I'm not perfect... that makes Him perfect for me.

How about your dog? Does he see your flaws? If not, I'll bet you are perfect for your dog!

Ken

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Ken

God is perfect by definition. He is the image of perfection for which everything else is based. If God is not perfect then he is not God as God is defined.

Perhaps our interpretations of God may be flawed, but the philosophical concept of God must be perfect by definition. This is still relevant even if he does not exist; the word "God" implies perfection. Even if two atheists are conversing about a "hypothetical" God, he still must be perfect otherwise those two atheists aren't talking about God.

Its just a fact of language and definitions. I do maintain that our interpretations of God could be flawed. But God is perfect.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think these kind of questions are fun to think about, but like most things are impossible to answer.

What if God is secretly a monster?

Well if the answer was "yes" then I guess there isn't much we can do about it is there? lol When it comes down to it there are only so many things we have control over.

However, despite this world being a horrible place to live, and filled with suffering, I've never felt like God was the one putting the screws to us.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
However, despite this world being a horrible place to live, and filled with suffering, I've never felt like God was the one putting the screws to us.

Well, that as good a place as any to begin from.

ephraim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Ken
All's I know if I was your friends dog, and she treated me so well, My teeth would be ripping a piece out of your butt right now for speaking behind her back that way.

A dog's gratitude and loyalty goes out to the gal who scratches us behind our ears and throws us a bone now and then. As for those who are any threat to our best friend, we do bite.

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Ken

The bolded part is mine, but it makes me think you don't understand Christianity at all... but then, I'm not really sure what you believe about it. If you think it's a 'believe in God, and he'll make everything in your life better' thing, then I'm afraid someone lied to you. God answers prayer, sure, but not always in the way I'd like him to. It might even be a resounding no, when I wanted a yes. And God isn't there to 'make me feel better', as you say; he's not my personal self-esteem coach.

I just wish you could see what it is that I see. Then maybe you really would understand why I love God. I don't.. I don't say that to make you sound like you're ignorant or dumb or something. I'm just concerned you have a false image you've built up in your mind, that's all.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful to you. I just wish I knew what it is I should say. Maybe there's nothing I can say, who knows.

Upvote 0

thegdin

Nov 22, 2004
Orlando Fl
✟230.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can someone even define perfect. Not the story book "perfect for me" perfect. I think that true perfection is a logical impossiblity.

Also, I think a great way to figure out who the god of the bible is would be by reading the bible. To think that a god is perfect who has murdered children and almost the whole human race for that matter is foolish.

Upvote 0

Heidiii

Oct 8, 2011
✟7,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think these kind of questions are fun to think about, but like most things are impossible to answer.

What if God is secretly a monster?

Well if the answer was "yes" then I guess there isn't much we can do about it is there? lol When it comes down to it there are only so many things we have control over.

Yeah I have the same view towards it. For all we know, in truth He's nothing but evil, and is laughing at how we all worship Him. I guess that we just have to have faith that He is who He says He is.

Real world friendships are the same though. If somebody seems nice, do you think about that small possibility that they are fooling you and are going to hurt you later? Those who have been hurt badly in the past or have certain mental illnesses/ personality disorders might, but most people find that you just have to trust people unless you want to be alone. It's the same with God, we just gotta trust Him :)

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I know my God is all good, because of all the love and kindness He's been treating me with since I can remember. I know He's all good, because He shows it. Simple.

*edit*

See that sweet little girl in my avatar? As a married couple, we were unable to have children for 10 whole years. One prayer and a 2 week's wait solved our problem. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
God is perfect by definition. He is the image of perfection for which everything else is based. If God is not perfect then he is not God as God is defined.

Perhaps our interpretations of God may be flawed, but the philosophical concept of God must be perfect by definition. This is still relevant even if he does not exist; the word "God" implies perfection. Even if two atheists are conversing about a "hypothetical" God, he still must be perfect otherwise those two atheists aren't talking about God.

Its just a fact of language and definitions. I do maintain that our interpretations of God could be flawed. But God is perfect.

Actually by definition God is not a perfect being. YOU might claim your God is perfect, but other concepts of God are not perfect, eternal, or all the other attributes Christians claim their God is. So the question is, how do you know your ignorance of God is preventing you from seeing flaws?

K

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
All's I know if I was your friends dog, and she treated me so well, My teeth would be ripping a piece out of your butt right now for speaking behind her back that way.

A dog's gratitude and loyalty goes out to the gal who scratches us behind our ears and throws us a bone now and then. As for those who are any threat to our best friend, we do bite.

Yeah dogs are like that huh? Loyalty is more important than the truth. But we're better than that aren't we!

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The bolded part is mine, but it makes me think you don't understand Christianity at all... but then, I'm not really sure what you believe about it. If you think it's a 'believe in God, and he'll make everything in your life better' thing, then I'm afraid someone lied to you. God answers prayer, sure, but not always in the way I'd like him to. It might even be a resounding no, when I wanted a yes. And God isn't there to 'make me feel better', as you say; he's not my personal self-esteem coach.

I just wish you could see what it is that I see. Then maybe you really would understand why I love God. I don't.. I don't say that to make you sound like you're ignorant or dumb or something. I'm just concerned you have a false image you've built up in your mind, that's all.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful to you. I just wish I knew what it is I should say. Maybe there's nothing I can say, who knows.

I do understand Christianity; I used to be one myself. I don't really believe God does all that stuff, I don't even believe God exist! I just put down a bunch of stuff various Christians claim God does.

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I know my God is all good, because of all the love and kindness He's been treating me with since I can remember. I know He's all good, because He shows it. Simple.

*edit*

See that sweet little girl in my avatar? As a married couple, we were unable to have children for 10 whole years. One prayer and a 2 week's wait solved our problem. :)

Yeah and my friend is basically a good person, she just has her flaws; that's all.

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Can someone even define perfect.

Perfect is defined as "without flaw"

Not the story book "perfect for me" perfect. I think that true perfection is a logical impossiblity.

I've gotten perfect scores on my math quiz a few times; I may not be perfect but my score was!
True perfection IS possible

Ken

Last edited:
Upvote 0