Illinois
✟20,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I apply for jobs online in certain locations at the official store sites like Jewel-Osco, Subway, Burger King, and etc. for example. I receive a few job interviews from some of these stores/restaurants but didn't get hired. I was told that I must meet the job's qualifications and needs in order to get a call and to be consider to get a job so I didn't receive a call. I fill my print job applications in cursive with pencil.

Last edited:

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Apply, send your resume, get called for interviews, and do it all over again until you land a job.

That's pretty much the only way I was taught to do it. Took me more than a year and a half to find new employment between each job I've had. Every day driving to apply, or applying online, etc. Only got called to one interview each time (and got the job after the interview) so I guess I was really lucky in that respect (not having to do endless dead-end interviews) but it's still exhausting and discouraging.

Upvote 0

xxJaydie

I am free ..!
Mar 8, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟16,398.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Make sure to get someone clever to check your resume. My sister was applying for heaps of jobs with no reply... my parents checked her resume and it made her sound very uneducated. People generally wont even take a second look at you if your resume is not done well (correct grammar, nice presentation etc.)

Also, sometimes it can help if you offer to do some trial work for free. All the best!

Upvote 0

JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Have someone proof-read your resume. Include a cover letter that is also proof-read by someone you trust to know what they're doing. Take resume and cover letter with you to interviews and include them with applications.
Dress-up: dress more professionally than needed even for picking up applications. I wear a suit or a dress to pick up applications even at Target, WalMart, etc. When you look put together it impresses people and makes them sit up and take notice. Behave confidently, even if you feel nervous inside. Sit and stand up straight, make eye contact, speak clearly and make yourself heard.
When at an interview, be brief, honest, and positive in your answers and ask questions that are most important to you. You shouldn't need to ask a ton of questions, but you are entitled to ask things that are important - you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you.
Make yourself available. If the store is open from 6-10, offer to be available for a 5-1 shift or to close. Those shifts are more difficult for employers to find people to cover so they'll be more likely to consider you if you're available when they need you. Be available to work weekends, unless you have religious convictions or other priorities otherwise. I personally, have a religious conviction that I prioritize not to work on Saturdays and hold to that as a condition of employment, but I offer to work Fridays and Sundays instead and usually that's fine. Once you've been working for a while, they'll know if you're a valuable worker and you can ask to change shifts if needed to be more convenient for your schedule.
Don't give up. Be persistent. Call them back a few days after you've handed in your application. Call them again a week after the submission of application. Ask them when you'll hear from them, and then call back again if you don't hear from them within the time they committed to. Go to their office and ask if they're still hiring or if you're still being considered. Until they tell you no, keep politely pestering them. If they do tell you no, then move on and try again somewhere else.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I apply for jobs online in certain locations at the official store sites like Jewel-Osco, Subway, Burger King, and etc. for example. I receive a few job interviews from some of these stores/restaurants but didn't get hired. I was told that I must meet the job's qualifications and needs in order to get a call and to be consider to get a job so I didn't receive a call. I fill my print job applications in cursive with pencil.

Go to the stores and try to introduce yourself in person. Dress nicely; wear a button-down shirt and dress pants, if not a tie as well. Tuck your shirt in, wear a belt, and shave. Be clean and professional, even for a "lower" job like Burger King.

Ask for an application. If they tell you to go online, do that. Get a business card if they have them out, and write down the URL you need to visit to apply. Thank them (with a genuine smile on your face) for their information and go. Fill out the application online that afternoon or evening.

Wait two days and give them a call, asking about the status of your application. They will probably tell you to wait for them to call you. Thank them for their time. Wait another two days. Give them a call. Do this for a week (a total of three calls).

After three calls, wait for them to call you. You may feel like you're annoying them, but unless they say "you're annoying me," keep calling. Be polite and professional. It's one of the ways you're going to stick in a person's mind to say, "this guy really wants this job."

Chances are, you will not get the interview. If you do, go to the company website and research them. Focus on their mission statement. Focus on their history. Focus on what they value. When the interviewer asks something like, "why do you want to work here," tell him/her honestly that you'd like the job, and from what you saw on the company website, your values align with the company's values.

When the interview is over, thank the person for their time. If they don't tell you, ask them when you should expect to hear back from them. If they give you a time frame, let that time frame go by before calling (but call the day after it expires). If you aren't given a time frame, call once a week every week for three weeks, then leave it.

In addition to these things, always have your resume' handy and up to date.

Rinse. Repeat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RoboRyan

Jul 12, 2014
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually the best way to get a job is by knowing a person. I've never really had an official interview before...The few jobs I've had I was able to get by knowing someone really well and then they offered me the job (even if I didn't have the proper training for it. They would train me) Get out there, make lot's of friends..and the job offers will come.

Upvote 0

BeautifulLove

Jun 16, 2014
USA
✟15,240.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Been there, am doing that, and so far I have an offer unless unforeseen events happen before I start to work! My best advice is to apply to jobs where there is actually a position. I have not had any luck applying online unless I apply to jobs in Little Rock (the biggest city/town around).

If you live in a small town like I do or employment is just hard to come by I suggest applying for jobs in the newspaper or if you see a "hiring!" sign that is always a good bet. Don't waste your time applying to jobs where you don't meet the qualifications. For instance if they require an education degree and you have a high school diploma, skip it! I wasted many weeks figuring that one out.

Make a meaningful cover letter to jobs you really want. And dress up your resume to go with the job! Don't overdo it and wear yourself out. I would say doing a custom cover letter and resume two times a day is enough unless you feel like doing more. Print it out on resume paper. Go in and personally hand it in! If they want it submitted online, submit it, but hand one in as well!

With applications I suggest printing in ink. Probably doesn't matter too much but I have heard of people throwing them in the trash if they aren't in pen (pencil doesn't look like you are being serious) or if it's too hard to read (sometimes my cursive is hard to read).

Most of all, don't get discouraged! This is a biggie for me.

Apply apply apply. You WILL get some interviews. Go in very polite yet very confident. Make sure you can really tell them how your skills or experience can help in that position. Ask God for strength and courage! Keep your head up because God will take you where you need to be! God bless and good luck!

Upvote 0

IAmAKaur

Waheguru
Aug 8, 2014
Middlesbrough, UK
✟7,694.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Have you considered going to an agency? It might be worth seeing if there is any contract/temporary work available which would be good both for the references and as a point on your CV. It's also normally fairly easy to get, at least from my experience, and some places often take on more permanent staff from temporary ones too.

Upvote 0

ihavefoundgod951

Mar 4, 2014
✟11,909.00
Faith
Christian

Pray, ask God to bless you with a job.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You have to call them. Never put in an application without calling three days later to see if it was received and what the status was. Otherwise you won't get a reply. Call, every three days, no matter what they say, until they tell you to buzz off, or they ask you to come in for an interview. After the interview, call three days later, until they tell you to take a hike, or ask you to come in for your first day.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi! DarkWalker ,

But when you apply online they mention in the form or Job Description that *DO NOT CALL or FAX*

I'd call, even if it says that. Otherwise, you'll just disappear into the pool of applications.

Upvote 0