How do you feel about women not wearing bras? Is it a Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fere222

...Love each other... ‭‭~John‬ ‭13:34‬ ‭
Jul 25, 2016
USA
✟18,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
So ...the topic and question is.... How do you feel about the act of women not wearing a bra at all? Are sometimes okay but not all the time? It just shouldn't be done? She has rights?
Just curious... but please, elaborate! I appreciate all view points!

Considering the actual bra was not invented until the early 1900s, imagine women in the time periods before then. I believe "society" gets accustomed to the "norm" of its time. I am sure no one thought much of women's breasts under fabric with nothing in between. I think wearing a bra is a choice, I choose to wear one in public. At home, I don't because they are not comfortable to me. If I ever step-out of the house without one, I am covered in layers where no one can tell. I see nothing wrong with a woman choosing not to; provided, her shirt is not sheer or thin. Of course, you see some women wearing a bra and a completely sheer blouse intentionally showing off her bra. So which would be worse? The woman with the sheer top deliberately showing off her bra or the woman without a bra who is completely covered?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Considering the actual bra was not invented until the early 1900s, imagine women in the time periods before then. I believe "society" gets accustomed to the "norm" of its time. I am sure no one thought much of women's breasts under fabric with nothing in between. I think wearing a bra is a choice, I choose to wear one in public. At home, I don't because they are not comfortable to me. If I ever step-out of the house without one, I am covered in layers where no one can tell. I see nothing wrong with a woman choosing not to; provided, her shirt is not sheer or thin. Of course, you see some women wearing a bra and a completely sheer blouse intentionally showing off her bra. So which would be worse? The woman with the sheer top deliberately showing off her bra or the woman without a bra who is completely covered?
I'm not sure I fully understand the purpose of the question.

Upvote 0

Fere222

Jul 25, 2016
USA
✟18,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure I fully understand the purpose of the question.
Perhaps I meant it as more rhetoric than anything. Wouldn't both be frowned upon in this day? ;)

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps I meant it as more rhetoric than anything. Wouldn't both be frowned upon in this day? ;)
I see; I guess I was referring to the original OP question really.

From time to time I see a lot of heat in discussions about bikinis, etc., as if someone's pontifications are going to have a profound effect on the practices of others. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Fere222

Jul 25, 2016
USA
✟18,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I see; I guess I was referring to the original OP question really.

From time to time I see a lot of heat in discussions about bikinis, etc., as if someone's pontifications are going to have a profound effect on the practices of others. :scratch:
I would think if one was strong in their faith, they would have self control over the effect it would have on them. We aren't immune to the provocative way many females dress though. As for bikinis or swimwear, at the lake or beach, is what it is for. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Some are weak to others attire and some are strong. :sick:

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would think if one was strong in their faith, they would have self control over the effect it would have on them. We aren't immune to the provocative way many females dress though. As for bikinis or swimwear, at the lake or beach, is what it is for. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Some are weak to others attire and some are strong. :sick:
I guess my point - as someone rather ignorant of such matters - is that some stringy one piece swimsuits actually show more than some more expansive two pieces; so I would have thought it's less a matter of whether bikinis are worn or not and more a matter of just being sensible and not getting too obsessed.

• Agree
Reactions: Fere222
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Being sensible, Farouk? We can't have that, surely? What would we do with all our righteous angst? ;)
Seeing as I as a guy don't get to wear that particular article anyway, it's not for me to try to start policing other people who might do so (even though there is a particular religious zeal which seems to obsess over such a matter).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'Fundamentalists who have never read Romans 14'

"When the fundamentalists censured women wearing pants, I didn't protest, because I, thinking of myself as so pious, don't wear pants myself.
When the fundamentalists censured women who wear nice haircuts, I didn't protest, because I, thinking of myself as so pious, don't cut my hair.
When the fundamentalists censured women who wear two piece swimsuits, I didn't protest, because I, thinking of myself as so pious, don't wear two piece swimsuits.
When the fundamentalists censured women with double earrings, I didn't protest, because I, thinking of myself as so pious, don't wear double earrings myself.
When the fundamentalists censured women with single earrings, I didn't protest, because I, thinking of myself as so pious, don't wear single earrings myself.
When the fundamentalists censured women with heels, I didn't protest, because I, thinking myself as so pious, don't wear heels myself.
When the fundamentalists censured women with tattoos, I didn't protest, because I, thinking of myself as so pious, don't wear tattoos.
When the fundamentalists censured women with make up, I didn't protest, because I, thinking of myself as so pious, don't wear make up.
And when the fundamentalists eventually censured me anyway, there was no one left in the church to protest."

(Adapted from Martin Niemoeller.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Interesting thread.

Personally my problem is with the social conditioning of my old man.

Anything out of the ordinary gets my attention.

Anything provocative also gets my attention.

It simply is amazing to me how the opposite sex responds to my presence.

The one thing I see is people here trying to force a behavior on people with no support other than the emotional biased demand.

People here are reading things into the Bible because of their unfounded and unsupportable conditional training.

Bottom line is God created us and said it is good. Most want to believe it is wicked.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So ...the topic and question is.... How do you feel about the act of women not wearing a bra at all? Are sometimes okay but not all the time? It just shouldn't be done? She has rights?
Just curious... but please, elaborate! I appreciate all view points!

It should be their decision or if they need it...

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Public is really an interesting thing. It is issues like these that have caused me to read and consider what the Bible actually says. This has caused me to dump the week end social club meeting. People have not considered why they think and believe like they do. Most bring their preconceived ideas to the Bible for support. They do not let the Bible shape their ideas. So be like them or believe the Bible and leave. I recently told some women that it is what is between their ears that excites me and not their body. Yes my body gets excited over a beautiful woman. In my personal experience is the more good looking one is the snottier they are. I would quote some Bible for you all except it would only cause a problem.

bugkiller

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most bring their preconceived ideas to the Bible for support. They do not let the Bible shape their ideas.

Keep in find too that the Bible authors themselves brought their culture and preconceived notions to the writing of scripture. In other words, the Bible itself is an interpretation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In my personal experience is the more good looking one is the snottier they are.

Sometimes, but some of the most attractive women I know are also the nicest, most down-to-Earth people I know, and I can think of several unattractive women I know who are downright snotty.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
To the men who may be getting all hot and bothered about the "modesty" issue of braless women...In the dead of summer (the hotter the better), find something that is mostly made of plastic material, with a wire under it and use it to hold up a certain part of your body that dangles. Make sure it is cinched tight so nothing jiggles. Wear it 12-14 hours a day, every day for a week. Let me know how you feel afterwards...THEN try to talk about women not wearing bras, ok?

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To the men who may be getting all hot and bothered about the "modesty" issue of braless women...In the dead of summer (the hotter the better), find something that is mostly made of plastic material, with a wire under it and use it to hold up a certain part of your body that dangles. Make sure it is cinched tight so nothing jiggles. Wear it 12-14 hours a day, every day for a week. Let me know how you feel afterwards...THEN try to talk about women not wearing bras, ok?
Well the real question is what would Jesus say about bras? As with many subjects we would rather go how we feel about the subject instead. I could make arguments for bras or no bras but it wouldn't change anything the bible would say about it.

Though I will say my wife doesn't wear well fit ones since they were hand me downs from her sisters. I told her bras are important for her body.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well the real question is what would Jesus say about bras? As with many subjects we would rather go how we feel about the subject instead. I could make arguments for bras or no bras but it wouldn't change anything the bible would say about it.

Though I will say my wife doesn't wear well fit ones since they were hand me downs from her sisters. I told her bras are important for her body.

Given that bras were not invented until the last century, my guess is that Jesus wouldn't say that women should wear bras.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.