How do you answer those who ask how do you know you are saved?

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
People who are saved trust God and His plan, and surrender to it rather than wanting to get their own way.

That is what "Faith" means; it comes from the Latin Fides, meaning "trust".

So you know that you are saved when you look into your heart and know that you trust God and surrender to His plan and purpose in a humble and genuine (not either slack or grandiose) declaration of "not my will, but thy will be done".

How many of us do that (and how many do not - having no oil for our lamps) is a whole other question...but as only God can give us Faith it's not something any of us can influence (meaning that the sensible thing to do, in the absence of said Faith, is to accept God not granting it to us and so say "not my will, but thy will be done").

:)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It probably depends on what I want to happen next - if I'm able to talk more.

My "real" answer reflects the fact that no one has been saved (in a complete sense) yet - there has been no final judgement and we do not yet have resurrected bodies.

A typical Orthodox response might be, "I have been saved (2000 years ago), I am being saved (in life now), God willing I will be saved (at the final judgement)." But depending on the background of the person I am talking to, they may "hear" all kinds of different things in there and may misunderstand. So a response like that needs time for follow up.

If I just want to assure them, I would probably answer, "I'm a Christian." (Although if they are using the script, they will probably be follow with a question about where I would go if I died right then and how I know - which is another discussion.)

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How can I prepare myself and how did you prepare yourself to answer this question?
As it is written, both to know (see elsewhere) and
to live every day:
Galatians 5:16-18 NIV - So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you ...
Galatians 5:16-18 New International Version (NIV) 16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is ...

When the Spirit of Y'SHUA is in you to walk by the Spirit,
the same Spirit that raised Y'SHUA MESSIAH from the
dead, you may say "I know by the Spirit HE has given me.";
and also
you may live your days guided by the same Spirit working in you according to YHWH'S WORD.

See how often the believers were said to be "in union" already with Y'SHUA in EPHESIANS, ACTS, PHILIPPIANS, et al... daily living "in union" with Y'SHUA and YHWH.
(see JOHN 17 'echad')

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because the Bible "works." That is, what is described in Scripture actually happens, such as answered prayers. If it hasn't happened enough for you to say this, then examine the evidence of other people. Believing your are saved is a product of your experience of evidence. Seek more evidence if you want to be more confident (and ask Jesus to help you). Be obedient so you will be able to see God more clearly.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I start with 1 John 5:13. Some will wonder if it is possible to know, and John says it is indeed possible. How does he say we know? Because of what is written in the Word.

So, it comes down to trust. I've experienced God and I trust that what He says is true. For those who want to analyze it, trust is a difficult thing to analyze, but it comes down to the fact that God has shown Himself to me to be trustworthy.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that our salvation is through following Christ, which means that faith and works must both work together in our day to day lives. In how we think, speak, and act, when alone, and when with others. Christ is our Salvation / Yeshua, and as He is a living Savior who is both a Man and yet God with us, salvation imho should look like us loving and following and submitting to Him, in real time. So if we are asked "are we saved?" perhaps we can answer "yes, as I am abiding in and following Christ, my Savior, who has saved me, is saving me, and shall save me", like Anastasia said.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can I prepare myself and how did you prepare yourself to answer this question?

It should not require preparation. Just tell them the truth (if one has it). A person is saved when they confess their sinful nature and life to God, and receive His "beloved Son" --the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God, into their heart and be devoted to Him (see John 14:6). A true "born again" believe in Christ will be walking and talking with Him, and telling others of this great experience --a relationship. One will be settled in peace when they have daily communion with the Savior and TRUST the Lord hears and is pleased with your truth and walk in this world.

I did not hear in comments above here about faith in Jesus Christ, so I wonder about the reality of what was said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good, and praise to God for that ...right? We who have received the Savior have every reason to "rejoice and be glad" as told. Others will go on wondering and trying carnal ways to please and win favors of the Creator-God ---which will profit nothing.

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
How can I prepare myself and how did you prepare yourself to answer this question on how do you know that you are saved?

I know that I am safe when I observe the laws; either God's Law, the laws of the land and the law of cause & effect.

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I believe that our salvation is through following Christ, which means that faith and works must both work together in our day to day lives. In how we think, speak, and act, when alone, and when with others. Christ is our Salvation / Yeshua, and as He is a living Savior who is both a Man and yet God with us, salvation imho should look like us loving and following and submitting to Him, in real time. So if we are asked "are we saved?" perhaps we can answer "yes, as I am abiding in and following Christ, my Savior, who has saved me, is saving me, and shall save me", like Anastasia said.

Well Gracia, that's not what Jesus said himself. He said that, to achieve salvation, one must listen to "Moses" aka the Law. (Luke 16:29-31) I think he meant to imply that thus was the way to follow him.

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
It probably depends on what I want to happen next - if I'm able to talk more.

My "real" answer reflects the fact that no one has been saved (in a complete sense) yet - there has been no final judgement and we do not yet have resurrected bodies.

The gospel of Jesus which was the Tanach does not endorse bodily resurrection. The testimony down throughout the Prophets of the Most High
is that, once dead, no one will ever return from the grave if you read II Samuel 12:23; Psalm 49:12,20; Isaiah 26:14; Job 7:9) I hope you won't take this as raining on your parade because some times the truth is a little hard to hear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The gospel of Jesus which was the Tanach does not endorse bodily resurrection. The testimony down throughout the Prophets of the Most High
is that, once dead, no one will ever return from the grave if you read II Samuel 12:23; Psalm 49:12,20; Isaiah 26:14; Job 7:9) I hope you won't take this as raining on your parade because some times the truth is a little hard to hear.

God be with you. :)

No fear, you cannot rain on my parade. My faith is secure in what Christ has revealed.

How God chooses to do things is what I would accept either way. It really matters not to me if He did things this way or that. But our understanding f what has been revealed by Christ and by the Holy Spirit is that we will be in bodies in order to be judged ... after all, the body participated along with the soul in whatever we did in life to lead us to our end.

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
God be with you. No fear, you cannot rain on my parade. My faith is secure in what Christ has revealed.

How God chooses to do things is what I would accept either way. It really matters not to me if He did things this way or that. But our understanding f what has been revealed by Christ and by the Holy Spirit is that we will be in bodies in order to be judged ... after all, the body participated along with the soul in whatever we did in life to lead us to our end.

Anastasia, you are a good sister. I have been reported several times already, but I cannot change my way to teach the Truth. If Jesus was not a Jew, I would not be bothering any one here. So, God be with you too! Regarding judgment in the afterlife, it makes no sense. Why would HaShem bring a man from the grave to judge him? He has no use for him anymore. Only the living can praise the Lord. Hence He is not a God of the dead but of the living only. Therefore, you don't have to fear judgment in the afterlife. The Lord would never disturb the dead in their eternal home. (Psalm 49:12, 20)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anastasia, you are a good sister. I have been reported several times already, but I cannot change my way to teach the Truth. If Jesus was not a Jew, I would not be bothering any one here. So, God be with you too! Regarding judgment in the afterlife, it makes no sense. Why would HaShem bring a man from the grave to judge him? He has no use for him anymore. Only the living can praise the Lord. Hence He is not a God of the dead but of the living only. Therefore, you don't have to fear judgment in the afterlife. The Lord would never disturb the dead in their eternal home. (Psalm 49:12, 20)

So you essentially believe that the dead are dead, and know nothing evermore, and need not face the judgement?

I disagree of course, if that is your point of view. I am curious though. I had a very dear Jewish friend some years ago, and that is what she believed, though the best I have been able to discover, it doesn't seem a majority belief in Judaism? I do know there was disagreement on this point in Jesus's time.

But no, I do not actually fear the judgement. I rather trust in the mercy of the Lord.

And I respect that whatever you might believe, you have your reasons and would be faithful to your beliefs. That is a virtue. :)

Though if I understand you correctly (and I may not be) ... then I might want to ask you the same thing I asked my friend. If a person believes there is nothing after death, and how they live has no bearing on eternity, then what is the motivation for doing right in circumstances where it is the difficult thing to do? I am always curious to know how people reconcile that.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Ah, and one more thing. I didn't even notice which forum this was posted in. I have no desire to report your post, but if you will check the "Statement of Purpose" for any given forum, it gives guidelines of who may post there and according to what kind of guidelines.

Unfortunately, if you are not Christian, you are restricted from posting in many forums.

Sometimes there is leniency - such as in The Ancient Way, it is meant only for Eastern Orthodox Christians, but we do allow and welcome anyone to post in fellowship or ask questions, though we can't allow teaching AGAINST Orthodoxy there, but we do have a forum area set aside for debates against our beliefs. This is just an example. Each community may be different. But generally speaking, it is true that in a community forum you can't teach specifically against their beliefs without being reported.

Just a little info, in case it helps. We do have a number of forums that one doesn't have to be Christian to post in.

Again, God be with you.

Upvote 0

Shibolet

Dec 24, 2016
Israel
✟12,940.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Ah, and one more thing. I didn't even notice which forum this was posted in. I have no desire to report your post, but if you will check the "Statement of Purpose" for any given forum, it gives guidelines of who may post there and according to what kind of guidelines.

Unfortunately, if you are not Christian, you are restricted from posting in many forums.

Sometimes there is leniency - such as in The Ancient Way, it is meant only for Eastern Orthodox Christians, but we do allow and welcome anyone to post in fellowship or ask questions, though we can't allow teaching AGAINST Orthodoxy there, but we do have a forum area set aside for debates against our beliefs. This is just an example. Each community may be different. But generally speaking, it is true that in a community forum you can't teach specifically against their beliefs without being reported.

Just a little info, in case it helps. We do have a number of forums that one doesn't have to be Christian to post in.

Again, God be with you.

I am not here simply to debate against Christian beliefs but to share with them the Jewish side of the gospel of Jesus which was the Tanach. But I am going to look for a place where I can post. Does any one know a website where a Jew can post?

Upvote 0