Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, as a quick answer, the Jews have been keeping Sabbath continually for over 3500 years, we have record of that.

It's also interesting that the seven day cycle, which has no natural reference, has never been changed in the history of the world.... surely Satan has tried, as the seven day cycle is the foundation for the Sabbath and recognizing Christ as our creator. But is is something that God has preserved because it is so important to our relationship to Him and understanding His true character.

Upvote 0

OldStudent

Feb 24, 2007
central Ohio
✟8,188.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
EastCoastRemnant gave you an excellent answer for one of your questions. But how does leap-year affect the which day is the 1st of the week? Next time you look at Feb 29 notice that it is just the next day of the week - even if it does have an unusual number. There have been changes in naming months, in numbers within months, and various tamperings with calendars. When changing the week has been tried it has always fizzled.

I have a chart somewhere that shows the name of the 7th day of the week in many languages. In dozens of languages it is quite apparent that they have derived the name for the 7th day from the Hebrew shabbath.

It may be also that when God jumbled the languages at Babylon that is one He chose not to change - just a thought.

In touching on languages, EastCoastRemnant might like chew on this hypothesis: It would seem likely few if any of God's people were involved with Babylon. God would steer them clear of such a heaven daring venture. Why would He tinker with their language? What is the chance the Hebrew language has roots in Eden? Would Adam recognize shabbath? When God got done with Babylon could it be all languages in Babylon became useless to each other? I wonder how He preserved opportunity for God's people to insert His hope into the fugitives of Babylon? Might the gift of tongues have started that early?

Just a bit of my "wild" side ;->

Last edited:
Upvote 0

David Conklin

Aug 6, 2009
✟8,098.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My question is why do we only get questions on what day of the week is the "1st" day when it comes to the sabbath.
I tell them that it is the day before the Sabbath. The first day is the day Christ arose from the dead.

Back to the OP:

We should also note that in over 100 languages the name of the seventh day of the week is "sabbath." Spanish is the most obvious example.

Leap year only affects the yearly cycle and has no effect on the weekly cycle.

Upvote 0

taikachanz

God's Word Stands Alone
Feb 20, 2011
✟7,788.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I tell them that it is the day before the Sabbath. The first day is the day Christ arose from the dead.

I think you gooffed here DC, the first day is the day after the Sabbath, not before, LOL.. but here's an interesting bit of history.

During the French revolution the Jacobeens (sp) tried to change the weekly count to 10, but if failed miserablely.

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
creation? Also, how does leap year affect the original calender?

Satan can bring about much confusion if we don't keep things simple.

The Bible is very clear, the day after the Sabbath is the first day.

Matthew 28:1 Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.

Notice how it was after the Sabbath that the first day began?

We know the Sabbath is the seventh day and we know which day is the seventh day today.

DICTIONARY
Sat·ur·day:
7th day of week: the day of the week after Friday and before Sunday.

We even know who changed the Sabbath day from the seventh to the first.

Official quote from The Catholic Catechism
Question - Which is the Sabbath day?
Answer - “Saturday is the Sabbath day.”
Question - “Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?”
Answer – “We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodicea (A.D. 364), transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday." Peter Geiermann,C.S.S.R., The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50, 3rd edition, 1957.

What was established at the Council of Laodicea in 364-AD regarding the seventh day Sabbath of the fourth commandment?
Council of Laodicea (A.D. 364)
"Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday, the Sabbath, but shall work on that day; but the Lord's day (Sunday) they shall especially honor, and, as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day if however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out from Christ.”---Canon 29, Council of Laodicea, 364 C.E.

The fact that the Papacy had to enact and enforce this law in 364-AD tells us that early Christians were keeping the Sabbath before and during 364-AD and were trying to convince others to do the same otherwise why enact and enforce this law.
Official Statement of the Catholic Church
“Sunday is founded, not of scripture, but on tradition, and is distinctly a Catholic institution. As there is no scripture for the transfer of the day of rest from the last to the first day of the week Protestants ought to keep their Sabbath on Saturday and thus leave Catholics in full possession of Sunday.” Catholic Record, September 17, 1893.

Official Statement of the Catholic Church
“Sunday is our mark of authority, the church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact." Catholic Record of London, Ontario, September 1, 1923”.

Since we know all these things then why resist the truth and make things complicated?

Last edited:
Upvote 0