✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thoughts on discipline of children
when I 1st read it i thought you asked -how do we disciple our children , which if more of us did here would be less need to discipline .
and the answer to that would be living the example .

disciplining children requires wisdom .. having children at bth 24 yrs old and 3 years old (at he same time ) i can say ... the [proverbial "slap on the leg or hand " which is so maligned by media and WONGFULLY lumped into the same category as monstrosities like punching a child so hard it breaks their ribs .. is actually Not a very effective method . its use with children under 7 should be limited to protective in my opinion ,it has its place but ouh such a limited place and if possible other means should always be sought . By protective i mean .. jonny is about to throw that fork which has the potential to take out susies eye .. a sharp slap on the hand to prevent that action is both wise and prudential . if susie is about to dunk the hair dryer in the bath and your not sure its plugged in - that sharp slap on the hand could prevent her death .

but over all children are like us , social in nature and do not like to be excluded . so i have found that excluson from the scene in whic they are making a fuss is not perfect but quite effective .love should rule over all for it is love we seek to teach not anger . if we are to show them Jesus we MUST show them love not anger .

yeah i know ..wow is that hard to do at times lol . not that you ever do not love them but they can get your blood boiling when they decide to scream the house down at 3 years old and throw half thier dinner across the table where 5 diner guests are seated .. ahh joy joy joy haha .

the term spare the rod ... is first and foremost instructional. it means the rod of instruction .. teaching your children what is acceptable not hitting them with the stick .
but the term 'beat your son he shall not die ... is NOT referring to little children .
nope - this term is for the 16 year old who stands taller then his mother is gaining the strength of a man and has just broken the law of God and in anger shoved his mother across the kitchen - beat this young fool .. that folly might leave him . its not about whacking tiny children . not ever . we teach discipline according to their age and ability to discern it . teaching longer term consequence is always better then using the short term consequence of a slap on the hand/leg .
Most christian parents slap their children to stop them from doing stuff that annoys them .. not to teach them anything at all . because they are not doing anything of value themselves and the kid probably interrupted their soap opera .. Thats just disgusting treatment of your child .turn the damned tv off and play with your kids and you'll find less and less reason to be tempted to use the smack .. and you will soon cease the ridiculous over use of it .

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, having children will increase your prayer life!

posted: the term spare the rod ... is first and foremost instructional. it means the rod of instruction .. teaching your children what is acceptable not hitting them with the stick

Totally agree.

Some question whether they're to raise their children with religious beliefs. That is so odd to me considering if we raise them with insight in every other subject, it's considered great parenting. But Scripture is clear on how we're to parent such as "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." Eph 4:6 "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." Prov 15:1 Know it's difficult but if we want to get their attention? whisper.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟985,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As I have seen first-hand how destructive non-Christian rearing reaps belligerence which morphed itself into a full-grown individual, requiring forced care. Very sad.

“A rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined disgraces its mother.” (Prov 29:15)​

Without it, and the wisdom of the fear and love of the Lord, the last stages of the younger years may not even have made any strides with discipline, pointless,

Do not hold back discipline from the child, Although you strike him with the rod, he will not die. (Prov 23:13)

“A wise son makes a father glad, But a foolish man despises his mother.” (Prov 15:20)​

God knows when we do all we can to “train up a child in the way he should go”. But if that resolve consist of going it alone, I’m afraid they still may not see the error they just performed. Man comes pre-packaged with too many things, an “evil heart of un-belief”, pride and disobedience. A parent who chooses to guide on “good reason” alone is susceptible to all areas of carnal “works of the flesh” traits.

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou for your comments friends. What 'Alithis','tturt','yeshuaslavejeff' and 'rocknanchor' said was so helpful! Thankyou. Children have to be 'discipled' like 'Alithis' said,taught to respect and obey their parents. Parents have to be responsible for the training of their children and discipline is an important part of this.'Bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord' (Eph.6:4) Love,discipline and instruction)

Upvote 0