How do the gifts of the Holy Spirit build up the Church?

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why do the following Operations of the Spirit (1Cor 12:7-11) edify the Church;
  1. Wisdom We gain wisdom from the Spirit that we do not have.
  2. Faith We obtain faith from the Spirit that we do not have.
  3. Knowledge We gain knowledge from the Spirit that we do not have.
  4. Healings Through the Spirit we can minister healing to our brothers and sisters.
  5. Powers (aka, miracles) Mighty works can be performed that no man could do.
  6. Prophecy We can give words of encouragement and instruction to the brethren.
  7. Discernment of spirits The Spirit enables us to understand if demonic spirits are in play.
  8. Tongues Here's where we are enabled to pray in the Spirit (tongues) to the Father.
  9. Interpretation of tongues The Spirit enables us (or another) to articulate what the Spirit had said to the Father.

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
How does the Word of Wisdom operate?
A word of wisdom is more than just natural wisdom,which is gained through experience of life and instruction. It is more than spiritual wisdom that we get from the Word of God,revealed by the Holy Spirit. A word of wisdom is a supernatural gift from God. It is a revelation gift. Paul speaks of it in 1 Cor.12:8. God reveals to one with this gift supernatually how to use knowledge given

Reactions: Biblicist
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A word of wisdom is more than just natural wisdom,which is gained through experience of life and instruction. It is more than spiritual wisdom that we get from the Word of God,revealed by the Holy Spirit. A word of wisdom is a supernatural gift from God. It is a revelation gift. Paul speaks of it in 1 Cor.12:8. God reveals to one with this gift supernatually how to use knowledge given
In my opinion that was a really good explanation.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou 'Biblicist' How would you say a word of knowledge operates?
As the Scriptures don't really tell us much about the Operations of faith and wisdom, where Paul even seems to expect us to essentially 'go with what is obvious', I would say that when the Holy Spirit Operates within us in 'knowledge', that this speaks of knowledge that is given by the Holy Spirit about a specific situation where maybe someone has performed a particular action that they need to repent of.

The Operations of faith, wisdom, knowledge, along with discernment may not be Congregational Offices, as are powers (aka, miracles), healings, prophecy and tongues/interpretation; but when we need to go to the elders for prayer, we would hope that faith, wisdom, knowledge and discernment are in operation amongst the Elders where these Spiritual Operations will undoubtedly help us to receive our healing and restoration.

If the Holy Spirit regularly works through an individual in both wisdom and knowledge, then I suppose that if they are given specific knowledge about a situation, then their ability to function in wisdom would probably better enable the individual to better act on the knowledge that was given to him/her by the Spirit.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
As the Scriptures don't really tell us much about the Operations of faith and wisdom, where Paul even seems to expect us to essentially 'go with what is obvious', I would say that when the Holy Spirit Operates within us in 'knowledge', that this speaks of knowledge that is given by the Holy Spirit about a specific situation where maybe someone has performed a particular action that they need to repent of.

The Operations of faith, wisdom, knowledge, along with discernment may not be Congregational Offices, as are powers (aka, miracles), healings, prophecy and tongues/interpretation; but when we need to go to the elders for prayer, we would hope that faith, wisdom, knowledge and discernment are in operation amongst the Elders where these Spiritual Operations will undoubtedly help us to receive our healing and restoration.

If the Holy Spirit regularly works through an individual in both wisdom and knowledge, then I suppose that if they are given specific knowledge about a situation, then their ability to function in wisdom would probably better enable the individual to better act on the knowledge that was given to him/her by the Spirit.
Thanks for that 'Biblicist'. Would anyone like to comment on the spiritual gift of faith mentioned in 1 Cor.12?

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why do the following Operations of the Spirit (1Cor 12:7-11) edify the Church;
  1. Wisdom We gain wisdom from the Spirit that we do not have.
  2. Faith We obtain faith from the Spirit that we do not have.
  3. Knowledge We gain knowledge from the Spirit that we do not have.
  4. Healings Through the Spirit we can minister healing to our brothers and sisters.
  5. Powers (aka, miracles) Mighty works can be performed that no man could do.
  6. Prophecy We can give words of encouragement and instruction to the brethren.
  7. Discernment of spirits The Spirit enables us to understand if demonic spirits are in play.
  8. Tongues Here's where we are enabled to pray in the Spirit (tongues) to the Father.
  9. Interpretation of tongues The Spirit enables us (or another) to articulate what the Spirit had said to the Father.

I was taught and believe that the gift of tongues, (not tongues) is what enables a person to speak a message from God in tongues. It is very different than praying in a unknown tongue. And it should be then interpreted by one who has that gift. Which is why Paul said if there be none to interpet, then the messenger should be quiet, for what good will it do if there is a message but no one knows what was said. And sadly there are some who misinterpet this to say Paul is saying that all should stop speaking in their prayer language of unknown tongues. In my old church we received several of these messages, sometimes there was a time of worship and prayer and one would begin to speak a message in tongues, you knew because all others praying (in tongues or not) would cease and only that message, not a prayer would be heard. So we have tongues as a prayer language, but the gift of Tongues is a gift to give a message, not prayer, from God to the Church. And I have also seen its operation while the pastor was preaching, and was stopped as a message came fourth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I was taught and believe that the gift of tongues, (not tongues) is what enables a person to speak a message from God in tongues. It is very different than praying in a unknown tongue. And it should be then interpreted by one who has that gift. Which is why Paul said if there be none to interpet, then the messenger should be quiet, for what good will it do if there is a message but no one knows what was said. And sadly there are some who misinterpet this to say Paul is saying that all should stop speaking in their prayer language of unknown tongues. In my old church we received several of these messages, sometimes there was a time of worship and prayer and one would begin to speak a message in tongues, you knew because all others praying (in tongues or not) would cease and only that message, not a prayer would be heard. So we have tongues as a prayer language, but the gift of Tongues is a gift to give a message, not prayer, from God to the Church. And I have also seen its operation while the pastor was preaching, and was stopped as a message came fourth.
Hi dragongunner'! Thankyou for your comments on the spiritual gift of interpretation of tongues. I agree that speaking in tongues,as a prayer/praise language is the privilege of every believer who is filled with the Holy Spirit. The spiritual gift of speaking in tongues in the congregation is different because an interpretation is required. That interpretation can be Godward,if interpreting a public declaration of prayer or praise or manward if it is an utterance. where He wants to speak to people

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I was taught and believe that the gift of tongues, (not tongues) is what enables a person to speak a message from God in tongues.
You’ve raised a good point in that even though Paul does not use the terms ‘gift’ or ‘spiritual-gift’, he certainly precedes tongues with (Grk: γένη) where this gives us “a different kind/race/family” of tongues. Even though we should probably say “different kinds of tongues”, as against just “tongues”, this could be a bit of a mouthful but if it were to help to clear up that Paul is speaking of inarticulate as against articulate language then this would definitely be beneficial.

There is a problem with saying (as many do), that when the Holy Spirit speaks through us that it is “a message from God” as we are already told that it is the Holy Spirit (and not the Father) who is the One speaking where many miss the obvious in that we cannot have the Father speaking to himself. Most importantly Paul tells us that the Holy Spirit will always speak to the Father and never to man.

It is very different than praying in a unknown tongue. And it should be then interpreted by one who has that gift. Which is why Paul said if there be none to interpet, then the messenger should be quiet, for what good will it do if there is a message but no one knows what was said. And sadly there are some who misinterpet this to say Paul is saying that all should stop speaking in their prayer language of unknown tongues.
Having been recently reminded that this forum is not actually a ‘Pentecostal forum’ but merely a forum which is for members of a single denomination (the AoG); where these members must also agree with each of the points within their Statement of Faith (do such people actually exist), I can at least agree with their Statement of Faith which says that there is only one type of tongues, which has various modes of operation or outworking.

Summary of the AoG views on tongues:
http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/topics/baptmhs_faq_tongues.cfm#difference

1. When tongues are exercised publicly according to the Biblical standard, should there always be an interpretation? Who should give the interpretation?

In 1 Corinthians 14 the apostle Paul clearly taught that public speaking in tongues in the assembly of believers is in order only when followed by an interpretation. It was because of this disorderly practice at Corinth that Paul wrote such statements as "speaking into the air" (1 Corinthians 14:9), "stop thinking like children" (1 Corinthians 14:20), "will they not say that you are out of you mind?" (1 Corinthians 14:23), and "keep quiet in the church" (1 Corinthians 14:28).

It [was this disorderly practice] that prompted Paul to stress the superiority of prophecy--not to interpreted tongues, but to uninterpreted tongues (1 Corinthians 14:5).

Final responsibility for giving an interpretation of tongues in a public assembly rests with the one who gave the utterance in tongues. The speaker either must be assured that someone else in the assembly will provide the interpretation, or he must be prepared to do so himself (1 Corinthians 14:13, 27 28).

2. What is the difference between "speaking in tongues" when one is baptized in the Spirit and "speaking in tongues" publicly? Also, what is the advantage of "praying in tongues" in one's private prayer life?

There are at least four uses or purposes of unknown tongues, according to the New Testament:

(1) as the initial evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4; 10:46; 19:6);
(2) as a gift to edify the church when the tongues are interpreted (1 Corinthians 12:10);
(3) as a sign for unbelievers that they might believe (1 Corinthians 14:22); and
(4) as a God-given provision for effective prayer and praise (1 Corinthians 14:2, 14). In all these cases, tongues is the same in essence, but different in purpose.​

The misunderstanding concerning these distinctive uses and purposes has brought great confusion among Christians.

Scripture records that the early believers, upon being baptized in the Spirit, began to glorify God in languages unknown to them but imparted by the Holy Spirit. Tongues is the same evidence today when believers are baptized in the Spirit. All believers, when they are baptized in the Spirit, will speak in tongues. However, not all will exercise the spiritual gift of tongues in the church assembled for worship. All will have the evidence, but not all will exercise the public gift of tongues which requires the additional operation of the gift of interpretation of tongues (1 Corinthians 14:12,13). First in a public worship service someone is moved to speak in tongues; then someone is moved by the Spirit to give an interpretation of the utterance. Operating in this realm, the Spirit provides an effective and powerful means of corporate adoration and worship of God. The purpose of the gifts of tongues and interpretation is to edify or build up the church (1 Corinthians 14:2-12).

Praying in tongues during private devotions is an additional ministry of the Holy Spirit. Many believers today testify that praying in tongues greatly enriches their spiritual lives. The limitations of intellect are overcome as the Holy Spirit quickens the human spirit in glorious expressions of worship and adoration. The quandary of limited vocabulary and the inability to express feelings and concerns of the soul disappear as a Spirit-imparted language flows out from the heart. It is as if heaven and earth, time and eternity, God and man all compress together in a glorious act of worship.

You might be better off going to their website (link) to see a full description of their views on tongues, but overall they seem to be fairly well balanced where they recognise that tongues are about praising God where the Father is the object and not man. Though it does seem that some of their Statement of Faith might amount to being a partial revision of some prior understanding regarding tongues. I’ve only included two of their points (my own numbering) where on 2.3 I’m at a loss to what they mean here as no Pentecostal (or charismatic) scholar to my knowledge has ever gone down this particular pathway, in fact, it makes no sense. If anyone has any commentary by a senior AoG commentator then I am all ears.

In my old church we received several of these messages, sometimes there was a time of worship and prayer and one would begin to speak a message in tongues, you knew because all others praying (in tongues or not) would cease and only that message, not a prayer would be heard. So we have tongues as a prayer language, but the gift of Tongues is a gift to give a message, not prayer, from God to the Church. And I have also seen its operation while the pastor was preaching, and was stopped as a message came fourth.
Having entered into Pentecost in my late teens, I’m not sure if I was actually taught the same as you or if I simply followed the crowd as it was common to equate tongues +interpretation = tongues. Once I started read the more serious Pentecostal and charismatic commentaries, I realised that the Scriptures do not give any support for this formula, as such many of us got this one wrong - bigtime!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is true that speaking in tongues as a prayer language is to God,but it is not clear that giving a public utterance in tongues in the congregation is only to God. God can speak through tongues to a congregation. It is true that the word 'message' in tongues is not used but 'utterance' in tongues,but Scripture does not say in every case that it must be Godward. Paul says that the gift of interpretation is that the Church may be edified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I might note that when I say God spoke a message, or Jesus spoke, or the Holy Ghost spoke by way of tongues to our congregation or church that I see no difference to a point. Jesus said I will send the comforter, but later tells them also…"I will come to you" To me the Father is the invisible Spirit (God) who became flesh (Son) and who is the Holy Ghost or Comforter. I do see different manifestations, but do not see 3 different people. I have never heard that the Holy Ghost does not talk to us, but only to God?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is true that speaking in tongues as a prayer language is to God,but it is not clear that giving a public utterance in tongues in the congregation is only to God. God can speak through tongues to a congregation. It is true that the word 'message' in tongues is not used but 'utterance' in tongues, but Scripture does not say in every case that it must be Godward. Paul says that the gift of interpretation is that the Church may be edified.
Before I respond, I need to first restate that I adhered to the populist view for maybe 35 years that tongues + interpretation = prophecy, where I have undoubtedly even posted the same when I first joined this forum a few years back. Even though I would like to think that I do not follow the crowd simply because a particular viewpoint is popular, I know full well that I am as prone to fall for this very human foible as is any other, though I would like to think that I can change my opinion when the evidence leaves me with no other option; and in this case, considering that there was absolutely no Biblical support for the practice, I had absolutely no option but to recognise that I was wrong where I was actually embarrassed that I believed such a thing in the first place!

For those who regularly provide a tongue and interpret (either with their own tongue or with those given by others), where they have directed the message to the congregation or an individual instead of toward the Father, then I can understand why what I am saying would make them uncomfortable and maybe even a bit annoyed.

Before we jump into 1 Corinthians 14, if we first look at the content of what the 120 were saying on the Day of Pentecost, we discover from Acts 2:11 that the Jews did not hear a Gospel message being directed to them, but instead they heard the 120 “declaring the wonders of God” which is the function of the congregational use of tongues, where as Paul says in 14:16 that when we speak in tongues during our meetings that we are “praising God with the S/spirit”.

If nothing else, 1Cor 14:2 leaves us without any doubt whatsoever that when the Holy Spirit prays through us, that his words are always (without any doubt) being directed to the Father and never to man.

1Cor 14:2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.

3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort.

4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church.​

. . . but Scripture does not say in every case that it must be Godward. Paul says that the gift of interpretation is that the Church may be edified.
1Cor 14:5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.​

As we know, with Paul’s reference to where someone first prays in tongues and then provides an interpretation/articulation of what they (or another) is saying; is that this enables everyone else in the congregation to understand what the Spirit was saying to the Father, this does not mean that the congregation is being edified by any message or instruction but merely that they are given an insight into what the Spirit is saying, therefore we are being edified through our knowledge of what is being said to the Father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I might note that when I say God spoke a message, or Jesus spoke, or the Holy Ghost spoke by way of tongues to our congregation or church that I see no difference to a point. Jesus said I will send the comforter, but later tells them also…"I will come to you" To me the Father is the invisible Spirit (God) who became flesh (Son) and who is the Holy Ghost or Comforter. I do see different manifestations, but do not see 3 different people. I have never heard that the Holy Ghost does not talk to us, but only to God?
It seems that you are inadvertantly presenting a Oneness perspective regarding the Trinity.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is true that speaking in tongues as a prayer language is to God,but it is not clear that giving a public utterance in tongues in the congregation is only to God. God can speak through tongues to a congregation. It is true that the word 'message' in tongues is not used but 'utterance' in tongues,but Scripture does not say in every case that it must be Godward. Paul says that the gift of interpretation is that the Church may be edified.
But why repeat what's already in the bible to the others?

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
But why repeat what's already in the bible to the others?
An interpretation of tongues is what it says in the Word of God it is,that is an interpretation of tongues,whether Godward or manward. It is not just repeating what is already in the Bible
It will agree with the Bible and never speak contrary to it.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor. 14:14-15 and 18-19 speaks about the private use of speaking in tongues that is far the most valuable.Hearing this gift would not benefit anyone who could not understand it. (1 Cor.14:6-11) It is a prayer language in which the one who is filled with the Holy Spirit can pray to and praise God. It is praying in the Holy Spirit. We can also sing in tongues. In public the gift is used with the gift of interpretation of tongues and an utterance in tongues would be as beneficial to the Church as the gift of prophecy (1 Cor.14:1-5) In public it is permissible quietly as in private,but the gift is 'to himself and God' and can build up the believer (1Cor.14:28) When the gift is used in public it should be 'that the church can be edified'. If the utterance is prayer or praise it should be interpreted as such. 'Any one who speaks in a tongue (in prayer and praise publicly) does not speak to men but God. If it is given as a public declaration of praise and everyone hears it,it should be interpreted publicly. If the utterance in tongues is for God to man,the value of tongues with interpretation is equal to prophecy (1 Cor.14:5) and the Church is edified in a different way. Tongues are not always addressed to God. All the verses that give the impression that speaking with tongues is to God indicate that speaking with tongues may take the form of praising. They do not demonstrate that they must do so. Paul is saying that tongues without interpretation must be to God because no one understands it,but he is not saying that with interpretation tongues cannot be the vehicle of a message from God to man. In v.21 he refers to God using another tongue to speak to people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
An interpretation of tongues is what it says in the Word of God it is,that is an interpretation of tongues,whether Godward or manward. It is not just repeating what is already in the Bible
It will agree with the Bible and never speak contrary to it.

I think the church say the same thing about traditions. The bible agrees to the church's traditions and never contrary to it. Who is right? You, them, both, or neither?

Upvote 0