How do pro-abortion Christians reconcile their views with pro-life scripture?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
[Staff edit]

If the pro-abortion movement has any other concern other than protecting a woman's "right" to sleep with men she doesn't like very much, I haven't figured out what it is.

Abortion is murder. It's as simple as that. Any rationalization people invent to justify it is just an excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Wunderlust

Sep 19, 2016
America
✟17,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's a good thing NARAL and Planned Parenthood weren't around back in ancient times or Mary would've been pressured to go ahead with the abortion since her circumstances were the gold standard of an unplanned pregnancy.

Abortion is murder. It's as simple as that.

Actually, Mary had someone willing to care for the child. Something many in society today oppose.

It's amazing to see politicians push for unconstitutional abortion laws, or laws restricting abortion around the same time they make it impossible for single mothers to receive social support. You may have been raped, divorced due to abuse, made a bad decision when you were teenager, but GOSH DARN you are not going to a hand out from the very same government that wants you not to get an abortion. You need to suffer!

Upvote 0

Wunderlust

Sep 19, 2016
America
✟17,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If the pro-abortion movement has any other concern other than protecting a woman's "right" to sleep with men she doesn't like very much, I haven't figured out what it is.

Abortion is murder. It's as simple as that. Any rationalization people invent to justify it is just an excuse.

There is no pro-abortion movement. The pro-choice movement is not about protecting a woman's "right to sleep with men". It is about giving a woman access to an abortion regardless of the circumstances. This argument of yours is beyond the pale due to that fact that women that want to sleep around use the pill, have IUDs, or get sterilized.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's amazing to see politicians push for unconstitutional abortion laws, or laws restricting abortion around the same time they make it impossible for single mothers to receive social support. You may have been raped, divorced due to abuse, made a bad decision when you were teenager, but GOSH DARN you are not going to a hand out from the very same government that wants you not to get an abortion. You need to suffer!
Good thing that's not on the Presidential ticket this time around, eh?

The way liberals tell it, you'd think four out of five men are abusive, family-abandoning rapists. Somehow though, I find it hard to believe that the tens of millions of murdered babies following Roe v Wade were all due to men like that. The numbers seem rather high. By a few million.

There is no pro-abortion movement.
Sure there is. The "choice" they advocate for is abortion. They are pro-abortion.

The pro-choice movement is not about protecting a woman's "right to sleep with men".
On paper, that's true. Reality is rather different though.

It is about giving a woman access to an abortion regardless of the circumstances.
I agree, they're pro-abortion, thank you for agreeing with me, it's very big of you.

This argument of yours is beyond the pale due to that fact that women that want to sleep around use the pill, have IUDs, or get sterilized.
Some do. Most don't. Why should they? They can just go have their baby murdered at a pro-abortionist's butcher shop.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been told by Christian friends who are not anti-abortion, that the correct phrase is ''pro choice.'' That they're not pro-abortion.
Meh, we who are pro-life are frequently called "anti-choice". Okay, turnabout being fair play I call them pro-abortion. When the term "anti-choice" drops out of the lexicon, I'll stop calling the pro-abortion bunch pro-abortion. Until that happens though, they're pro-abortion as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, Mary had someone willing to care for the child. Something many in society today oppose.

wrong again. there are many couples in society who would willingly adopt children if a way were made for them to do so.
So instead of the government spending all it's money supporting abortion clinics and PP,
why not instead support adoptions?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I've been told by Christian friends who are not anti-abortion, that the correct phrase is ''pro choice.'' That they're not pro-abortion. :flatt:
and that's a lie that they in turn have been fed by those who make money from doing those abortions.

believe me, no clinic would be in the abortion business for free.
they make money from other people's grief.
no other way to say it.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Meh, we who are pro-life are frequently called "anti-choice". Okay, turnabout being fair play I call them pro-abortion. When the term "anti-choice" drops out of the lexicon, I'll stop calling the pro-abortion bunch pro-abortion. Until that happens though, they're pro-abortion as far as I'm concerned.

and that's a lie that they in turn have been fed by those who make money from doing those abortions.

believe me, no clinic would be in the abortion business for free.
they make money from other people's grief.
no other way to say it.

I agree completely with you both, it's very frustrating to debate people who believe the lie of the abortion industry. It is an industry, and it's also a lie that doesn't help women. It keeps them enslaved to thinking that sex has no consequences, and that it's 'her body, her choice,' and that's the end of the story. Have to keep praying...

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree completely with you both, it's very frustrating to debate people who believe the lie of the abortion industry. It is an industry, and it's also a lie that doesn't help women. It keeps them enslaved to thinking that sex has no consequences, and that it's 'her body, her choice,' and that's the end of the story. Have to keep praying...
Indeed. As a Catholic, I believe in the intrinsic value of human life. This includes the dignity of the body. Things like abortion destroy innocent life (which is bad enough!) but they also feed into a creepy weird mentality of treating people as sex objects. Well, people aren't sex objects... even if some people actually might want to be. Their souls and their bodies are intended for better purposes than just a good time, if you know what I mean, and it's a real shame that so many people view these shackles of sexual objectification somehow as liberation; the truth is the total opposite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Luke 1:41-44, for example: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit . . . . As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy."

The quoted Bible verse describes fetuses in the womb as babies, or in other words living humans.

There are some liberal Christians out there who believe that a woman has the right to choose an abortion if her pregnancy is inconvenient, not realizing that everyone deserves a chance at life. How do these left-wing Christians reconcile their pro-abortion views with Bible scripture that teaches life begins at conception?

There aren't any Christians who are pro-abortion. If you're referring to people who call themselves Christian, the answer is they don't care what scripture says. They either ignore it or creatively "interpret" it to explain it away so they don't have to follow it.

Upvote 0

BrianJK

Abdul Masih
Aug 21, 2013
Seaside, CA
✟20,934.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There aren't any Christians who are pro-abortion. If you're referring to people who call themselves Christian, the answer is they don't care what scripture says. They either ignore it or creatively "interpret" it to explain it away so they don't have to follow it.

So you're flat out saying that anyone who isn't completely anti-abortion is therefore absolutely unsaved abs non-Christian. You're in other words hanging a person's salvation and Christianity in their agreeing with your interpretation?

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. As a Catholic, I believe in the intrinsic value of human life. This includes the dignity of the body. Things like abortion destroy innocent life (which is bad enough!) but they also feed into a creepy weird mentality of treating people as sex objects. Well, people aren't sex objects... even if some people actually might want to be. Their souls and their bodies are intended for better purposes than just a good time, if you know what I mean, and it's a real shame that so many people view these shackles of sexual objectification somehow as liberation; the truth is the total opposite.
Agree completely. It also breeds a disposable life mentality. It creates a slippery slope, where life only matters if we want it to matter. If we deem it to be life, then it is life. And that's just not true. The slippery slope it creates we can already see, where sex bots are coming down the road soon, and the elderly are treated with little to no respect. Kids are not treated as kids really, they're treated like adults...with sexual advertisements geared towards them. Abortion harms many in its path. :(

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No one wants to have an abortion. No one gets giddy and says, "Can't wait to get my next abortion."

I am not sure how a society is just if it wants to punish and endanger people for reaching that point. I think abortion is wrong, but I have no idea why people get obsessed about criminalizing it instead of finding steps to help women not get to that point in the first place.

The problem is, that I am generally an understanding and compassionate person. I am not driven by an emotion of "they must be punished!" Or, there must be consequences.

The same argument could be made for many types of crime and sin. Most murderers don't get giddy and say, "can't wait to kill someone today" and most thieves don't say, "can't wait to steal something today." Yet most of us agree that these actions should be punished criminally. The question with abortion is not whether it is something that people really want to do. It is whether it is something that is so wrong that society needs to proactively discourage. I think it is, but I understand that there's room for disagreement on the issue.

Upvote 0

justinangel

Feb 19, 2011
Btwn heaven & earth
✟13,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Luke 1:41-44, for example: "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit . . . . As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy."

The quoted Bible verse describes fetuses in the womb as babies, or in other words living humans.

There are some liberal Christians out there who believe that a woman has the right to choose an abortion if her pregnancy is inconvenient, not realizing that everyone deserves a chance at life. How do these left-wing Christians reconcile their pro-abortion views with Bible scripture that teaches life begins at conception?

Good question. I wonder if they believe that God became man at the first instant Jesus was conceived in Mary's womb.

PAX

:angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
So you're flat out saying that anyone who isn't completely anti-abortion is therefore absolutely unsaved abs non-Christian. You're in other words hanging a person's salvation and Christianity in their agreeing with your interpretation?

nooo, hanging in there with God's right of creation is what we're doing.
the comprehension that abortion is murder, we pray will come to them in time.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟895,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is NO SUCH thing as pro-abortion Pro choice yes, but someone who is pro-abortion does not want the human race to last past the current generation.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
While I don't think the pro-abortion stance holds up on a scientific basis, and while I do feel that God would generally not look kindly on it; I find the vast majority of scripture quoted that allegedly supports the modern pro-life stance to be wildly out of context and off the mark. There are plenty of good arguments to be made against abortion, however thumping out-of context Bible verses that are more poetical and situational only fuels the arguments of those who believe Christians just want others to live under a theocracy. The issue is more complicated than a yes/no answer, and while people can seek guidance in the Bible for their individual decisions, trying to impose any kind of blanket laws on the matter is not helpful to anyone.

Upvote 0

BrianJK

Abdul Masih
Aug 21, 2013
Seaside, CA
✟20,934.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
nooo, hanging in there with God's right of creation is what we're doing.
the comprehension that abortion is murder, we pray will come to them in time.

Thanks for the clarification. I once felt as you do (and may again). I still do regarding many cases, but I can't see Scripture as being quite as definitive for all cases as you can. I very much respect your view though.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟895,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
[Staff edit]

I have recently concluded that abortion should be a LEGAL option during the first third of preganenacy, ( which is when the majority of it occurs, anyway. That is not to say that I would encourage a woman to HAVE an abortion, nor that I would have one myself. It is only to say that I believe that LEGALLY speaking a woman should have that option. By the way, I do not believe that legally and morally are always the same thing, nor do I believe that a behavior I may consider immoral should be illegal in a secular society.

Upvote 0