Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I first saw this on a site called Orthodox Lutheran. The person who ran that site has since become Catholic and took his site down. I believe he was a life-long Lutheran prior to that.

I miss the site. It had some good articles.

Haven't we all heard stories like that? "I once knew a Lutheran who had a rosary. He's in the RCC now." As if that person had died. :p

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I first saw this on a site called Orthodox Lutheran. The person who ran that site has since become Catholic and took his site down. I believe he was a life-long Lutheran prior to that.

I miss the site. It had some good articles.
I checked to see if it was available on the wayback machine, but he has it disallowed.

Upvote 0

Bryne

Simul Justus et Peccator
Mar 30, 2011
Utah
✟16,817.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Haven't we all heard stories like that? "I once knew a Lutheran who had a rosary. He's in the RCC now." As if that person had died. :p

Well, his website died...but hopefully he is still alive and kicking.

I have a rosary. (lots of them, actually) I'm not in the RCC. And I don't think I have ever heard a story like that.

Upvote 0

Lost Squirrel

Seeking the 3rd satalite lock on God's GPS.
Jan 18, 2011
✟15,427.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Another awakening I had toward Lutheranism:
While riding a motorcycle, I had a very (VERY) close call with an airborne SUV. I didn't stop and pray through St Christopher, the patron saint of travel (which, BTW, I did carry a St Christopher medalion in my jacket pocket at the time). Nope. I shouted, "Dear GOD, watch over me!" I had an overwhelming realization that I DO have a direct line to the "big guy", and prayers through saints were completely unneccessary. God hears them anyway! So, strip out the middle man because the saints can't do the same work as God. In retrospect, I almost feel as though I had been praying to false gods this whole time.

Now, I do have a related question... Since Mary is still revered in the Lutheran faith, but not idolally worshipped, do any Lutheran synods honor the May Crowning? I doubt it because it really puts her high upon a pedistal, but I'm pretty sure a local Episcopal church does.

Upvote 0

Mark_Sam

Veteran Newbie
Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Another awakening I had toward Lutheranism:
While riding a motorcycle, I had a very (VERY) close call with an airborne SUV. I didn't stop and pray through St Christopher, the patron saint of travel (which, BTW, I did carry a St Christopher medalion in my jacket pocket at the time). Nope. I shouted, "Dear GOD, watch over me!" I had an overwhelming realization that I DO have a direct line to the "big guy", and prayers through saints were completely unneccessary. God hears them anyway! So, strip out the middle man because the saints can't do the same work as God. In retrospect, I almost feel as though I had been praying to false gods this whole time.

Now, I do have a related question... Since Mary is still revered in the Lutheran faith, but not idolally worshipped, do any Lutheran synods honor the May Crowning? I doubt it because it really puts her high upon a pedistal, but I'm pretty sure a local Episcopal church does.

Thanks for sharing.

Luther believed that Mary was the Queen of Heaven, but did not encourage overuse of the term. In Hebrew culture, calling Mary (mother)queen wuold imply that her Son is king. But I think the answer is no.

I also own a rosary. They are so stylish :cool: and a constant reminder that one should pray all the time.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just to resay what has already been said. I think a lot of the reformers did have a special place in their heart for Mary because of their Roman Catholic past.

But in modern American Lutheranism, there isn't a huge amount of attention paid to Mary, and I don't think its a good idea to pray to her.

One thing that I had a pastor point out in a bible study once. . . While Roman Catholics claim they are speaking to the staints to ask them to pray for them, there is no evidence in scripture that any saints, including Mary, hear these requests in the first place. The bible tells us that God will hear our prayers, but it doesn't say we could speak to those that have passed on in this manner.

I know changing traditions and things like that might be difficult but I think I would start praying only to God. Trying to speak to Mary, realistically, you may just be talking to yourself.

Upvote 0

Bryne

Simul Justus et Peccator
Mar 30, 2011
Utah
✟16,817.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But in modern American Lutheranism, there isn't a huge amount of attention paid to Mary...

While I am not disputing this, I do want to point out that in my Lutheran church, one thing I did notice right away is that more attention was paid to Mary than in any other church that I had ever been a part of. I like that we don't push Mary aside so completely that she practically doesn't exist like some churches do.

Upvote 0

Mark_Sam

Veteran Newbie
Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
While I am not disputing this, I do want to point out that in my Lutheran church, one thing I did notice right away is that more attention was paid to Mary than in any other church that I had ever been a part of. I like that we don't push Mary aside so completely that she practically doesn't exist like some churches do.

Interesting. How do you pay more attention to Mary in your church?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bryne

Simul Justus et Peccator
Mar 30, 2011
Utah
✟16,817.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Her feast day is on our calandar. The pastor talks about her in Sunday School. We were taught why it was OK to refer to her as Mother of God. We have art that depicts her. We sing the magnificat in certain services. (vespers, I think). Its isn't really anything specific, but lots of little things.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Her feast day is on our calandar. The pastor talks about her in Sunday School. We were taught why it was OK to refer to her as Mother of God. We have art that depicts her. We sing the magnificat in certain services. (vespers, I think). Its isn't really anything specific, but lots of little things.

That's typical Lutheran stuff there.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

That's typical Lutheran stuff there.

What Rev said. Your church doesn't appear to do anything out of the ordinary when it comes to Mary. Although, I would have to see what you mean by "artwork of Mary". Everything that we have that depicts Mary shows her with Jesus.

Upvote 0