• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

how do i stop being bisexual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
memoryroad said:
i know it's a sin in the eyes of God to be bisexual. My question is, how do I stop? I lust for girls or crush on them sometimes even against my will. It's so natural to me, it's just like liking a guy. :(
It is not a sin to be bisexual or homosexual. Sin is defined by anything you freely choose to do that seperates your from a relationship with God. Did you choose to be attracted to girls?

However lust--treating either men or women are sex objects is always wrong! Having sex outside the context of loving heterosexual marriage is wrong.

People can choose to be in a homosexual relationship. They can choose to have sex outside of marriage. So you are only sinning if you a)engage in homosexual practice b)get together with a member of the same sex c)dwell on inappropiate thoughts.(thats not the same as having them in the first place) But the good news is that there is 'no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus', and we are all sinners who fail everyday.
No amount of sin can ever stop God from loving you. You are just as valuable to him as anyone else.

The bad news is although God can do anything and by the power of prayer He could stop your attraction to girls, He probably won't do so. If you were totally gay you would probably be called to celibacy. But it isnt quite as bad if you are bisexual, then you can have a husband like anyone else. The key is not to fight the fight by yourself. You are not to worry and beat yourself up all the time. You are to give it to God and ask Him to help you.
Remember it is not your fault, and its not Gods either! Homosexuality is a result of the fall, just like heterosexual lust is.
Even if you fail to resist temptation, that means you are human!
We all fail everyday, but we should try to be on the right path.
Just place Jesus in your heart and He will look after you.

God Bless

Upvote 0
S

StarlingAtDusk

It is not a sin to be bisexual.

You can't stop being bisexual and you don't need to.

Please don't beat you're self up to much, that only makes you feel worse. Ever wanted to cuss the instant you know you can't? Jump off of something you Mother told you not to, the instant she said "no"? A little voice tell you to eat that cake, as soon as you tell you're self you can't? Sometimes forcing oneself to stop something makes us think about it more, beacuse we are so scared of it it lingers in our minds. Chill, have fun, and be a good person over all. Things will work out.

Upvote 0

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
memoryroad said:
i know it's a sin in the eyes of God to be bisexual. My question is, how do I stop? I lust for girls or crush on them sometimes even against my will. It's so natural to me, it's just like liking a guy. :(

Hi there memoryroad!

I'm 36 years old and just recently accepted the fact that I am bisexual (though still preferential towards women) after having spent much of my life denying it even to myself and basically being someone that i'm really not.

As many people mention here, it might be just be a factor of your age and growing sexual urges that are causing you to feel this way. But as an example myself that's not necessarily so ;) The best advice I can give firstly is to pray to God and ask him to comfort you and give you direction. If this is really part of who you are and not just a phase then it is something you need to come to terms with and figure out how to handle now rather than spend much of your life in a state of denial. Saying "I'm not bisexual" will not make it so, and will only cause you difficulty and pain.

As Robbie said (and I totally agree with, it's part of our Catholic view on this) being bisexual or homosexual itself is not a sin! Who you are attracted to is who you are attracted to. What you do with that attraction is what makes the difference.

For an unmarried man and women to have sex is sinful because sex is restricted to marriage by God. Sex outside of marriage is sinful regardless of the gender makeup of the participants :p Not sure of your faiths teaching regarding same-sex marriage, but for us Catholics it is 'unpossible' if only for the reason that a same-sex union cannot naturally produce children and we see this as a requirement for marriage (that is, that the two marrying are open to the possiblity of children and will do nothing artificial to prevent that possibility).

What this means in the end, is that we have a very difficult cross to bear in our lives. Though attracted to those of the same sex we must constantly strive with the help of Jesus to control that attraction and not give in to our lustful desires. It's not easy, not many hetero people can manage it outside of marriage either ;)

Accept the cross that God has laid upon you and do the best you possibly can with it with His help! It takes people like us to be the best witnessess to those who are bi/homo-sexual and have not yet found Jesus because we can relate to them much better than most people.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
VNVnation said:
Hi there memoryroad!

I'm 36 years old and just recently accepted the fact that I am bisexual (though still preferential towards women) after having spent much of my life denying it even to myself and basically being someone that i'm really not.

As many people mention here, it might be just be a factor of your age and growing sexual urges that are causing you to feel this way. But as an example myself that's not necessarily so ;) The best advice I can give firstly is to pray to God and ask him to comfort you and give you direction. If this is really part of who you are and not just a phase then it is something you need to come to terms with and figure out how to handle now rather than spend much of your life in a state of denial. Saying "I'm not bisexual" will not make it so, and will only cause you difficulty and pain.

As Robbie said (and I totally agree with, it's part of our Catholic view on this) being bisexual or homosexual itself is not a sin! Who you are attracted to is who you are attracted to. What you do with that attraction is what makes the difference.

For an unmarried man and women to have sex is sinful because sex is restricted to marriage by God. Sex outside of marriage is sinful regardless of the gender makeup of the participants :p Not sure of your faiths teaching regarding same-sex marriage, but for us Catholics it is 'unpossible' if only for the reason that a same-sex union cannot naturally produce children and we see this as a requirement for marriage (that is, that the two marrying are open to the possiblity of children and will do nothing artificial to prevent that possibility).

What this means in the end, is that we have a very difficult cross to bear in our lives. Though attracted to those of the same sex we must constantly strive with the help of Jesus to control that attraction and not give in to our lustful desires. It's not easy, not many hetero people can manage it outside of marriage either ;)

Accept the cross that God has laid upon you and do the best you possibly can with it with His help! It takes people like us to be the best witnessess to those who are bi/homo-sexual and have not yet found Jesus because we can relate to them much better than most people.

And what of those that are Homosexual? What becomes of them? You think it is tough being Bisexual, then how tough is it to be Homosexual and to have to deny ones self for a lifetime. Thats where I get confused. God must know that it is tough and very isolating for a gay man or Woman to live life alone, without intimacy or a Loved one. But yet if one seeks out a life partner or engages in sexual intimacy, one is condemned for it. It just seems like a pefect setup to fail. How long can an adult go without intimacy or Human companionship, without it becoming unhealthy for ones pshychological welfare. I would think most would eventually wear down and or breakdown. I know, I have been there.

Upvote 0

SkaterGirl

Sep 28, 2005
✟116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
congrats VNVnation. its great you can come out and say that. ok well frm my experience...wen i was 14 i started to think i liked girls and it freaked me out that i was attracted to them. one thing led to another and me and my best friend started going out. it lasted a year. which is a long time to be with someone and literally one day i just looked at her and thought...why aren't i feeling anythin??....i didnt feel lust or attracted to her. i told her i didnt think i liked girls anymore and i dont no what had happened. we broke up. which was heart breaking as a year is a long time! even if you dont hav feelings towards someone in that way anymore. it took a while but now we're really gd mates again which im reali pleased about. i havent looked at a girl in that way since. i reali believe that in alotta cases (not all) it is just a stage that you will grow out of! dont put urself under pressure, just let it happen! :)

Upvote 0

Reazzurro90

Completamente Pentecostale - FORZA ITALIA
Sep 26, 2005
✟574.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
memoryroad said:

Hey Memory. I saw your post, and you're not alone in this. I'm a guy, and I struggle with homosexuality too. Except, I only like guys, and not girls. I personally think you're luckier than I am (not that that diminishes anything), because you can always go out with a guy. But, back to the point, I struggle with homosexual desires and thoughts as well. And it's kind of discouraging, because it's not something we want and yet it's so condemned by the Word of God. I keep wanting to believe the pro-gay Christians, but something in my heart just continually backs from it. All we can do is simply trust the Lord.

Upvote 0

Bonhoffer

Hoping......
Dec 17, 2003
Preston, Lancashire, UK
✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
eastcoast_bsc said:
And what of those that are Homosexual? What becomes of them? You think it is tough being Bisexual, then how tough is it to be Homosexual and to have to deny ones self for a lifetime. Thats where I get confused. God must know that it is tough and very isolating for a gay man or Woman to live life alone, without intimacy or a Loved one. But yet if one seeks out a life partner or engages in sexual intimacy, one is condemned for it. It just seems like a pefect setup to fail. How long can an adult go without intimacy or Human companionship, without it becoming unhealthy for ones pshychological welfare. I would think most would eventually wear down and or breakdown. I know, I have been there.
Well we cannot do it of our own strength. But we must remember that Jesus and St Paul were single. I'm nearly 24 and never had a proper girlfriend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maharg

wanting greater intimacy with Jesus
Apr 9, 2004
UK
✟15,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm not gay, so I cannot speak from experience. I am sorry that you have felt so isolated. As brothers and sisters in Christ we are meant to have intimate relationships. Jesus had a core of three disciples whom he was close to and one discoiple whom he particularly loved. There can be intimacy without sex. We are not meant to be isolated. The difficulty is that many people within the church do not have an understanding attitude towards people who struggle in this area and do not know how to provide support and develop intimate friendships with people. I hope that you have found or are in a supprotive and affirming church where you can develop intimate and satisfying relationships with your brothers and sisters in Christ.

May God bless you richly and may you feel the comfort and intimacy of His presence.

Love

maharg

Upvote 0

Marie D

Jan 22, 2005
✟1,297.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think someone else here had it right when they said you are blessed compared to people who are tormented by thoughts that are only homosexual, rather than bisexual, because if you are attracted to men it means you can form a loving relationship with a good Christian man whose love will fill your mind and leave no space for perversions.

Upvote 0

Godslilflutterby

Sep 8, 2005
Circleville, Ohio
✟177.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
To those of you who stuggle with homo/bisexuality,
I want you to know that I am right there with you. I struggle hard on a day-to-day basis, but I know that Jesus Christ looked into the future and saw me struggling, and He knew that the only hope I had was HIm. So, God already knows your hearts, and that you really don't want to go against Him. The only advice I can give is to take up your cross daily. Look to our Daddy for direction and forgiveness. Man has so many different views on this subject that we will always be confused and unsure about what to think or do about what we stuggle with. I suggest reading your Bible every morning (even if it's a small Psalm) and right before you go to bed, and praying throughout the day that God gives us strength to fight.
Also, something that is VERY crucial is to fill yourself with pure and godly things. That includes music, movies, tv shows, and etc. Try your hardest and put your absolute all into it. Fall into the presence of our Lord and listen to what He has to say. We cannot do this without our Daddy's help. And do not fail to ask for forgiveness daily and look at each day when it's over, and start each day fresh and new in the Lord.
I need your prayers, as you need mine, and I can't get on here everyday, but pm me if you need someone to tak to! I will be praying for you.
I think that the replies in this thread has been more of an argument over what's right and wrong instead of helping the people who's struggles are hard to fight. Remember that not one sin is bigger than the others.
I love all of you who share in my struggles, and one day we're gonna beable to wake up every morning with a great testimony of how the Lord has saught us through one of the tuffest tempations Satan threw at us!!!! :):):):):)
*ash* -I'll be praying hard!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.