How do I find truth amidst so many opinions?

kimbie

Sep 16, 2015
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, let me preface this by saying that I do not have as much knowledge of the bible as many on here, despite being raised in a Christian home. I have recently been considering dedicating my life to God, but I am having some trouble. First, I understand that repentance is a necessary part of salvation, but what exactly is that? Is it simply acknowledging that I am a sinner and completely unredeemable by my own merit, or is it actively trying to turn from sin and live a holy life despite the fact that I will certainly sin again whether I want to or not? I know this sounds bad, but what if I don't really want to stop sinning? I mean, if I could snap my finger and not sin anymore without any struggle or temptation I would do it in a heartbeat, but what if I would rather just take the easy way and keep doing what I've been doing? I guess what I'm asking is, if I intentionally and habitually sin am I not saved? I have heard people say different things on the topic, and I'm not really sure who to believe. I guess my personal feeling is, if I truly had the love of God in my heart I wouldn't want to sin anymore. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I am confused. Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
kimbie,

Truth is not found in "opinions". It is found in Scripture, and it is God Himself who has a "definitive answer".

If you are serious about knowing THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, start with the first Epistle of John, then study the Gospel of John, then work your way through Scripture beginning with the New Testament.

Chances are you have never done this as a student of Scripture, hence your questions. But this would have to be done as though you are SERIOUSLY STUDYING, not reading and skimming. You would need some Bible study tools also, such as Strong's Exhaustive Concordance (KJV) and Nave's Topical Bible (KJV). Forget about commentaries for the moment, but ask God to teach you the truth.

On the other hand, opinions are a dime a dozen, and once you examine opinions they will make your head swim. In the end they have no authority. The only authoritative "opinions" are the words of Christ and the word of God. I will purposely not respond to your questions, since it is time you started searching for the answers yourself and through serious study of the Bible. Too many Christians simply do not study the Word, and too many Christians prefer to be spoon-fed.

Reactions: FatalHeart
Upvote 0

kimbie

Sep 16, 2015
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really don't mean to be antagonistic, but those seem like cop-out answers. Do you not really know either, or are you not sure? I feel dirty going before God and asking for forgiveness with the knowledge that I will definitely sin again. It feels cheap and inauthentic to read His word and entertain notions that perhaps forgiveness is for people like me. And yes, I actually do want to be spoon-fed the answers. I'm sorry to say that I do not feel like the Bible speaks to me like living word, but rather just text that can, and IS, interpreted differently by whoever reads it. Seriously people, I'm exhausted. I mean, just living feels like too much to bear and I'm losing hope for any meaning or redemption. If you know, can you just tell me- please?

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's naught more I can say if you refuse to hear what God has to say in His Word. You have to let Him in and teach you or you will just, as you said, read it as text. Its not a cop-out answer, its the truth. I really do hope for the best for you.

:prayer::prayer::prayer:
:amen:

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe you would like some of Steve Brown's thoughts on this.

" Once you have seen the truth you can't unsee it"
"God is not mad at you"
"The only people that get better are the one's that realize that if they don't get better God will love them anyway."

As for me, I have no great knowledge of how this all works but I am morally certain it does work and God knows what He is doing. If He says you are forgiven then I suspect you are.

Reactions: True Blu
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello, let me preface this by saying that I do not have as much knowledge of the bible as many on here, despite being raised in a Christian home. I have recently been considering dedicating my life to God, but I am having some trouble. First, I understand that repentance is a necessary part of salvation, but what exactly is that? Is it simply acknowledging that I am a sinner and completely unredeemable by my own merit, or is it actively trying to turn from sin and live a holy life despite the fact that I will certainly sin again whether I want to or not? I know this sounds bad, but what if I don't really want to stop sinning? I mean, if I could snap my finger and not sin anymore without any struggle or temptation I would do it in a heartbeat, but what if I would rather just take the easy way and keep doing what I've been doing? I guess what I'm asking is, if I intentionally and habitually sin am I not saved? I have heard people say different things on the topic, and I'm not really sure who to believe. I guess my personal feeling is, if I truly had the love of God in my heart I wouldn't want to sin anymore. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I am confused. Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.

Hi Kimbie,

Those are excellent questions, and they are an important consideration in the meaning of what it is to be a Christian.

Repentance: What is it? I'd have to say that repentance involves not only our "trying" in turning from sin, as you've already intimated, but also our heartfelt agreement with God that our sins are indeed "bad" in a moral sense, that sins are actions, thoughts, and proclivities we know we should stop since their presence can hurt us or others in some way, with God being no exception to the pain we may cause. With that said, some of us find ourselves plagued by habitual sins. Maybe we've gone years stoking the fires of our inordinate passions and later finding ourselves with feelings that recursively beset us, maybe on a daily basis (alcoholism comes to mind as just one example).

In the case of our having habitual sins on the one hand, and our possible desire to quit fostering these sinful habits on the other, I'd say that, in this case, for us to consider ourselves "saved" while still in the middle of this kind of emotional and mental conundrum, we have to have some moral manifestation in our minds (or hearts) which truly reflects some awareness that we are hurting ourselves and our relationship with God.

In saying all of the above, I have in mind what the Apostle Paul says in the book of Romans, as well as some of the things said by the writer of the book of Hebrews, and in combining these ideas, I come to the following conclusion: That if we have habitual sins, the tell tale sign of our salvation is whether or not our sinful nature causes us to stop persevering in our attempt to deal with our habitual sin(s), and whether or not we retain any continuing desire to grow in holiness. If we honestly perceive that the work of God's Holy Spirit has ceased in our hearts at some point, then I don't think we can say we have truly enacted repentance in our life, and we are probably exercising belief in vain.

But hopefully, if we have habitual sins, we will be wise enough to reach out to other people (i.e. the better lights in the Church, as well as various professional counselors), and grasp the hands of those who may be able to assist us in grappling and overcoming our hang-ups.

This is my view, Kimbie. I hope it helps.

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First, I understand that repentance is a necessary part of salvation, but what exactly is that? Is it simply acknowledging that I am a sinner and completely unredeemable by my own merit, or is it actively trying to turn from sin and live a holy life despite the fact that I will certainly sin again whether I want to or not? I know this sounds bad, but what if I don't really want to stop sinning? I mean, if I could snap my finger and not sin anymore without any struggle or temptation I would do it in a heartbeat, but what if I would rather just take the easy way and keep doing what I've been doing? I guess what I'm asking is, if I intentionally and habitually sin am I not saved? I have heard people say different things on the topic, and I'm not really sure who to believe. I guess my personal feeling is, if I truly had the love of God in my heart I wouldn't want to sin anymore. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I am confused. Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.
We were created to commune with God. God is holy and all will be in His presence experiencing His love. Sin is missing the mark. The mark is living according to God's will. When you miss the mark you separate yourself from God in a way that you are no longer participating in His energies. Being directly in God's presence in such a state will be torturous to those who chose it. So, to sin is to keep oneself separated from God. Sin can be voluntary or involuntary and can be achieved with our knowledge or our ignorance. Some things are obvious sins. Others, not so much. Sin is personal in nature and you will find no definitive list of what is or isn't a sin. You can be sure that anything which causes a person to 'miss the mark' is a sin.

"... those who find themselves in Hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! For those who understand that they have sinned against love, undergo greater suffering than those produced by the most fearful tortures. The sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain. It is not right to say that the sinners in Hell are deprived of the love of God ... But love acts in two ways, as suffering of the reproved, and as joy in the blessed!"

The Church is a hospital for sinners and Christ is the Great Physician. When one goes to church they go to be baptized into Christ and then live a life in Christ within the body of Christ (which encompasses other Christians). While at church one can partake of the fountain of immortality/the medicine for what ails us/the Eucharist. Partaking of the Eucharist- one literally has Christ in them. Think of Christ's Church as the ark of your salvation.

Actively turning from sin and repenting is something we all must do. You can't go it alone. You need the Church.

We look at Christ's work on the cross as being an event that is outside of time. Salvation happened in the past. Via the incarnation (specifically the hypostatic union), it became possible for us to attain theosis. To one in the Church (a Christian), we are being saved. If we persevere, we will be saved in the future. This is only possible through the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. Christ’s suffering death on the cross and resurrection made it possible for us to now have a way through suffering and a way to reconcile ourselves to God (abolishing sin and death) through His human nature. Christ’s ultimate act of suffering love gives us His saving companionship and grace.

Christ went to sheol/hades (sometimes wrongly translated as hell as in the KJV) for three days and preached to those there, raising them from the dead, and reconciling people to God (abolishing sin). Plus, it wasn't too late for Adam and Eve- even then. In the icon of the Resurrection- Christ is depicted trampling the gates of Hades and lifting Adam and Eve from their graves. Christ destroyed death. It is even mentioned in the New Testament how after the Resurrection- many of the righteous dead were resurrected and appeared to many people. Like Adam, we are dead in our sins, but through Christ (the New Adam) we are brought to life (where we were once dead in our sins).

As St. John Chrysostom said, "Sin is the wound, repentance is the medicine." And, "Be ashamed when you sin, not when you repent."

http://fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/guidance_repentant.htm

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since you have put forth the effort to come to this site and post your question, it shows that the Holy Spirit is operating in your heart, which means that your soul has been washed clean in the blood of the Lamb, that you now have zoe life, and have been added to the Spiritual body of Christ. Now is the time to start studying to find Spiritual truth. Study the stories in the New Testament that spark your interest. One of the more interesting ones (to me) is the one about when the chief priests, scribes, and Jewish elders came to Jesus, trying to get Him to blaspheme by claiming the same authority as God, so they would have grounds to stone Him to death. They asked Him; "By what authority do you do these things?......And who gave you this authority?" Jesus answered; "I will ask you one question, and if you answer Me, I will tell you by what authority I do these things: The baptism of John, was it from heaven or of men? "

And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we say [from heaven] He will say, Why then didn't you believe him? But if we say [of men] we bring the wrath of the people upon us, for all men counted John as indeed being a prophet.

So they answered Jesus; "We cannot tell." Jesus responded; "Then neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things." (Mark 11:28-33)

So the question is; What did these men fail at when it came to the baptism of John? So interesting. As progression in searching for truth in the stories throughout the New Testament...the by-product will be a reduction of sins in one's life....without them even realizing it.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, let me preface this by saying that I do not have as much knowledge of the bible as many on here, despite being raised in a Christian home. I have recently been considering dedicating my life to God, but I am having some trouble.
I think you can look at any part of the Bible and get something which helps you and encourages you. But you might need to not get hung up about things you don't understand, but keep reading for what is helping you.

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)
First, I understand that repentance is a necessary part of salvation, but what exactly is that?
turning from your sin

This includes how our Father draws us to Jesus > John 6:44-45 > so we turn from our sin and trust in Jesus > Ephesians 1:12.

We in repenting are turned "from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God" (in Acts 26:18).

In this process we deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Jesus > Luke 19:23.

So, we need how our Father turns us from self and the weakness of our own selves, so now we are depending on Him for the ability to get corrected of sinning and get into living and loving like Jesus. We become pleasing to our Father, and all-loving, and able to forgive anyone.

And forgiving others can help you to be sure you are forgiven, I think > Mark 11:25.

So, trust God to do this with you :) And consider that if He forgives you and so blesses you, now He desires for you also to be so generously forgiving and to have hope for any other person . . . for all that is possible with God.

Is it simply acknowledging that I am a sinner and completely unredeemable by my own merit,
It is not only understanding, but doing.
or is it actively trying to turn from sin and live a holy life despite the fact that I will certainly sin again whether I want to or not?
Not "trying", but how God is succeeding! :)
I know this sounds bad, but what if I don't really want to stop sinning?
Yes, it is bad to not want to stop sinning. But if my character makes me still able to sin, this is not honest; so how can this nature make me really-really honestly interested in not sinning, I consider? We need how God is able. And we have the Holy Spirit making "intercession for us" (in Romans 8:26). The Holy Spirit is honest enough to pray for us effectively. Also, God has ordained us to have mutual confession and mutual healing prayer > James 5:16; so yes, I would say, we need one another to help us.
I mean, if I could snap my finger and not sin anymore without any struggle or temptation I would do it in a heartbeat, but what if I would rather just take the easy way and keep doing what I've been doing?
Well, we might try to snap away the sins that we know about, however doing this only so we can get rid of the guilt and the problems those sins cause in our lives; we might not really do it because we love God.
I guess what I'm asking is, if I intentionally and habitually sin am I not saved?
Turn from it, and do not be only analyzing what label you have, of being "saved" or "unsaved"; but trust in Jesus and be turned from sinning to how God has us pleasing Him and loving any and all people.
I have heard people say different things on the topic, and I'm not really sure who to believe.
Look in the Bible. God can use anything He pleases to help you.
I guess my personal feeling is, if I truly had the love of God in my heart I wouldn't want to sin anymore.
Well, for Christians, we are not perfectly free of sinning, and we do not love God as perfectly as we can. We need more correction. And Hebrews 12:4-11 shows how every child of God needs more correction and we are wise to actively seek our Father for this correction, not to wish that He has nothing to correct us about, but seek His correction which brings us into His love's "peaceable fruit of righteousness" and being "partakers of His holiness" < Hebrews 12:4-11.
Does anyone have a definitive answer?
Jesus is our real answer ! ! ! And Jesus has hope for "all" >

"'Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.'" (Matthew 11:28-30)
I am confused.
God is able, and yes He does care about us all.

It is like how you can be unclear about a person who is in a relationship with you. You can wonder and ask questions and have doubts and try to get answers. But the way to really become clear is to keep sharing with the person and listening so you more and more understand the person. Theoretical answers, alone, can not make things clear about another person, or even your own self. We need to keep sharing with someone in order to get more and more clear . . . but with someone we belong with, who is good for us.

Like this, you can't get clear about God, without getting personal and submissive with Him and trusting Him, and doing the loving that He has you d:).
Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.
We do not need to try to make God and His word answer to us; but we answer to God.

"Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...First, I understand that repentance is a necessary part of salvation, but what exactly is that?.
Repentance is conforming your thinking to be in line with God's nature. It is a life long pursuit for a follower of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A person who is "saved", is changed. Are you changed from having a desire to sin, to not having a desire to sin? No, not by your own description.

But the "good news" of salvation (being saved), is not simply being changed...it is the adding of Eternity, to your confusing, organic life. If you don't just want to live an organic life like the animals, but aspire to attain something greater in life...seek God, and you will be changed. God gave you that choice.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I guess my personal feeling is, if I truly had the love of God in my heart I wouldn't want to sin anymore. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I am confused. Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.

You've put your finger on it right there. If you want to continue sinning, you haven't accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior. If, however, you were to repent and truly accept Jesus Christ--in which case you would not want to continue on in your old ways--you would be saved, even if you were to slip up at times (as we all do).

The bolded part above seems to me to summarize the issue and answer your question very well.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
if I could snap my finger and not sin anymore without any struggle or temptation I would do it in a heartbeat, but what if I would rather just take the easy way and keep doing what I've been doing?

We still have the flesh to deal with. If you want to sin it doesn't mean you're not Saved. People are Saved when they make the sincere good confession of Romans 10. That doesn't mean that they're instantly perfected. If it did, there would have been no need for Romans 6, 7 and 8, or the exhortations in Ephesians to "put off the old man".

1Jn tells us that "no one born of God sins". But most translations now render that "no one born of God practices sinning", because the greek verbiage allows this meaning and the context strongly supports it - I would say, demands it.

Beware of judging your salvation based on your performance. If that were a valid dynamic, no one could be saved. That's precisely why Jesus had to come to Save us, because we could not save ourselves.

Look at what Paul writes in Rom 7:
For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.
For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.
Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.
So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand.
For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being,
but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.
Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin. -Rom 7:18-25​

This seems to sum up the difficulty you expressed above perfectly. The answer to Paul's theological dilemma is found in the next chapter:
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. -Rom 8:1-2​

Instead of the condemnation of the law, we now have the right to catch the updraft of grace to lift us out of the Romans 7 misery. The solution is not to hold back from Christ. It is not to become absorbed with the weaknesses and failings of the flesh. It is to look to Christ and trust in Him alone, and not the "dead works" of the natural man, for salvation. And by salvation I don't merely mean eventually going to heaven. Eternal life begins right now: "now is the day of salvation". Christ is our victory, even in the here and now, while we're going through trials of every sort, internal and external.

Don't hold back from Christ. He is your only strength in the battle you are in. Through Him you have confident access to the throne of grace, for help in time of need. (Heb 4)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We still have the flesh to deal with. If you want to sin it doesn't mean you're not Saved. People are Saved when they make the sincere good confession of Romans 10. That doesn't mean that they're instantly perfected. If it did, there would have been no need for Romans 6, 7 and 8, or the exhortations in Ephesians to "put off the old man".
I think you're reading something into the OP there. When it is said that he wants to sin, I didn't get the idea that he found temptation hard to resist. Rather, the wording seemed clearly to say that he preferred to continue sinning even though, intellectually, he wished he could prefer righteousness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
intellectually, he wished he could prefer righteousness.

I'll let the poster speak for himself, but I don't think that's what he said. He said he would prefer righteousness, not that he wished he did, only he was not fond of its cost. That's a subtle but significant difference.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
kimbie,
Since you mentioned "opinions" in your title, you received the correct feedback on opinions. Since that was unsatisfactory, lets try some clarifications

Hello, let me preface this by saying that I do not have as much knowledge of the bible as many on here, despite being raised in a Christian home.
This is understandable but it can be rectified. Are you prepared to commit at least one hour per day EVERY DAY to BIBLE STUDY? If you won't make that commitment, others can't really help you down the road.
I have recently been considering dedicating my life to God, but I am having some trouble.
Before a person can dedicate his life to God, he needs to get saved, and the first step is "repentance toward God".
First, I understand that repentance is a necessary part of salvation, but what exactly is that?
Repentance is A TOTAL TURN AROUND -- a forsaking of all your sins and idols and a turning to Christ by faith for salvation, forgiveness, and the New Birth. Repentance is exemplified by the apostle Paul. He turned around from being a PERSECUTOR of Christians to a PREACHER of the Gospel. That's 180% in the opposite direction.
God will not compel you to stop sinning, but you will pay the wages of sin -- physical and eternal death. That is because the Law of Sowing and Reaping never changes.
I guess what I'm asking is, if I intentionally and habitually sin am I not saved?
The one who is saved HATES sin and LOVES God.
...if I truly had the love of God in my heart I wouldn't want to sin anymore.
Correct. And the first step in loving God is obedience to the Gospel. And the first step in obedience to the Gospel is REPENTANCE. The next step is FAITH toward the Lord Jesus Christ. If you recognize that you are a sinner on your way to Hell and that only Christ can save you, then you must turn from your sins and idols and receive Him as Lord and Savior.

Upvote 0