How Do Catholics View Protestants

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
. ..

The Church recognizes and purges heresy, including heretical popes. It might take decades (see: western schism), or it might be quick. No heresy has happened here, just a few people not getting their way and deciding to set up a new papacy.

So if we've a heretical pope, how does one 'depose' him? Or are we forbidden from doing so until after his death?

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How do you explain away the Modernism embrace by the last few popes and the modernistic Second Vatican Council? They embrace the very errors and ambiguities and vagaries that Pope St Pius X himself condemned.

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's like asking "what if the Pope makes an ex cathedra declaration that goes against Church teaching?" If such a thing would happen, it a) wouldn't be ex cathedra and b) would be caught by all of the theologians examining said "ex cathedra" statement in detail looking for the tiniest slip-up. The situation with deposing heretical popes is the same.

Anyway, this topic has been derailed enough. If you want to promote sedevacantism, you can go do so in another on-topic forum that is not OBOB. Promoting it here is in violation of the statement of faith. The topic is "How do Catholics View Protestants?"

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So if we've a heretical pope, how does one 'depose' him? Or are we forbidden from doing so until after his death?

i believe those words of the former pope were revised or recreated or made up.

Prove a pope would dare bring such reproach to the chair in regards to a successor.

i think someone did some creative writing.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And also.

John 10:16
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Mark 9:40
For he that is not against us is on our part.

May God bless.

John 10:16 is about the conversion of the gentiles to the faith is it not?
does not seem to be about breaking up into sects

as for Mark 9, that is true, but I see a lot of Protestants activly agianst the Catholic Church attacking her teachings and planting seeds of doubt in her members

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

someguy14

as for Mark 9, that is true, but I see a lot of Protestants activly agianst the Catholic Church attacking her teachings and planting seeds of doubt in her members

Much love my friends.

Matisyahu - One Day (YouTube Version) - YouTube

Sometimes I lay under the moon
And I thank God I'm breathin'
Then I pray don't take me soon
'Cause I am here for a reason

Sometimes in my tears I drown
But I never let it get me down
So when negativity surrounds
I know someday it'll all turn around because

All my life I been waitin' for
I been prayin' for, for the people to say
That we don't want to fight no more
They'll be no more wars
And our children will play, one day

It's not about win or lose 'cause we all lose
When they feed on the souls of the innocent blood
Drenched pavement keep on movin'
Though the waters stay ragin'

And in this life you may lose your way
It might drive you crazy
But don't let it phase you, no way

Sometimes in my tears I drown
But I never let it get me down
So when negativity surrounds
I know someday it'll all turn around because

All my life I been waitin' for
I been prayin' for, for the people to say
That we don't want to fight no more
They'll be no more wars
And our children will play, one day

One day this all will change
Treat people the same
Stop with the violence down with the hate
One day we'll all be free and proud
To be under the same sun
Singing songs of freedom like​

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

And even Paul said that he is a Jew unto the Jews. There are many persoanlitys among the peoples and all are welcome to come to God as instructed by The Christ in the Gospels. We are all people and a work of God and God has a plan for each of us friend. And if Luther and Martin are leading to Christ, isnt that the ultimate goal? Christ frees us from the bonds of sin and reunites us to God Himself, the Holy Father, The Maker of All. To God be glory for now and evermore.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Body, Paul explained, was made up of different parts... but Paul would not contradict himself in his other writings.
Foremost was unity of mind and teaching. That is to say, not heresy that some believed - not schism, not divisions..

Nor would he have contradicted St John.
Who said if an angel bring another gospel, they are anathema.
There are some sects who believe an angel gave them the true gospel - and somehow the one always held since the Church guarded the scriptures - was really a miscarriage of truth.

These angels [St John prophesied as evil and anathema] brought the supposed ''correct'' teaching to Muhammad, John Smith and Ellen White to name a few [that i can recall].

So tho all would like to proclaim unity, false unity, or rather unity of different teachings and gospels is no unity at all.

If one wants union to truth they may seek history. History since the Apostles beginning with their direct disciples.
And in the bounds of those teachings can we truly know where unity lies.

As for Protestant brothers and sisters, we accept there is invincible ignorance. For some being culpable is determined on knowing history, being asked to peruse history and once being afforded to know the truth of the Catholic Church and yet turning away, it becomes vincible ignorance which is obstinance and nothing more.

And it is in hope for mankind that God's mercy is great towards those with invincible ignorance. For we know God judges only what was known, not what was not known.

Still though, i regret many do not know the Eucharist of the Church or the other sacraments.
7 of them, which is the perfect number.

Peace someguy14.

Upvote 0

truthHurts77

Oct 19, 2011
✟16,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Officially, there is much common ground. We share in a common baptism and can declare together that we are part of the Church, although not in communion. Generally speaking, we all accept at least a handful of Ecumenical Councils as binding on the faith. We profess Jesus as Lord, accept the same New Testament canon, and much more depending on what denomination of Protestant Christianity we are talking about.

I have no problem having friends who are Protestant.

However, you will find some Catholics (especially on the internet) who have not yet understood or accept that Protestants are also a part of the church or even Christian.

i used to accept that protestants are part of the Church, albeit imperfectly, and i still do - in my head. In practice, this has NOT worked for me... I am too devout and too Catholic (to them)... IT is THEY who do not accept me as a friend. I lost many friends and even family members when i began to get serious about Catholicism... because i share what i learn w/ them and they do NOT appreciate it... I guess some think i am tyring to be Miss Goody2Shoes or some such nonsense... i have never been more misunderstood in my life... but oh well...its their prob...

anyway... again, it is THEY who do not accept us... Most catholics i know are FAR more accepting of them than vice versa...

hey, they aren't Catholic...

so what do we expect?

a true Catholic knows the love of Christ better than anyone... that is my experience...

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
This isn't the Western Schism. This is a tiny, insignificant, yet somewhat vocal portion of the Catholic population deciding they don't like what's happening in the Vatican and then deciding to set up their own church. It is no different than Protestantism.

It seems to me that it would be closer to schism as with the East or the Old Catholics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Apr 11, 2011
✟2,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The title is kinda vague. Im curious about any views Catholics may have about Protestants. How come Catholics are Catholic and how come Protestants are Protestant. What the big differences are. Is there a common ground where both agree. Thank you.
If you want a clear answer you should not ask how Catholics view Protestants but what the Magisterium of the Catholic Church teaches about Protestants. The Catechism of the Catholic Church is a good place to start.

Upvote 0

earagun

Oct 29, 2011
✟852.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you want a clear answer you should not ask how Catholics view Protestants but what the Magisterium of the Catholic Church teaches about Protestants. The Catechism of the Catholic Church is a good place to start.
I now, in the presence of the Almighty God, the blessed virgin Mary, the blessed Michael the Archangel, the blessed St john the Baptist...and my ghostly father, the superior general of the Society of Jesus, founded by St Ignatius Loyola, do, by the womb of the Virgin...swear...the Church of England...Calvinists, Huguenots, and others of the name of Protestant...to be damnable....I will, when opportunity presents, make and wage relentless war secretly or openly, against all heretics, Protestants...as I am directed to; extirpate them from the face of the earth; and that I will spare neither age, sex, or condition, and that I will hang, burn, waste, boil, flay, strangle and bury alive those infamous heretics; rip up the stomachs and wombs of the women, and crush their infant’s heads against the wall in order to annihilate their execrable race.”...........................I would also say its important to know what the Jesuit creed says, as they are the protectors of the faith

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I now, in the presence of the Almighty God, the blessed virgin Mary, the blessed Michael the Archangel, the blessed St john the Baptist...and my ghostly father, the superior general of the Society of Jesus, founded by St Ignatius Loyola, do, by the womb of the Virgin...swear...the Church of England...Calvinists, Huguenots, and others of the name of Protestant...to be damnable....I will, when opportunity presents, make and wage relentless war secretly or openly, against all heretics, Protestants...as I am directed to; extirpate them from the face of the earth; and that I will spare neither age, sex, or condition, and that I will hang, burn, waste, boil, flay, strangle and bury alive those infamous heretics; rip up the stomachs and wombs of the women, and crush their infant’s heads against the wall in order to annihilate their execrable race.”...........................I would also say its important to know what the Jesuit creed says, as they are the protectors of the faith

I would say it's even more important to get your facts straight and not believe in blatant anti-Catholic insanity.

Reactions: MKJ
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
the fake jesuit creed,
is super fake, to be a jesuit you make make a promise to live a life of poverty, chastity and obediance, with a special promise of obediance to the Pope
that is it, nothing as grusome as what was posted
you do not see "creeds" or oaths like that anywhere in the Catholic Church, but I can think of a few enemies of the Church who use such a vocabulary

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
earagun said:

Try meeting a few Jesuits.

Upvote 0