Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Originally I was confirmed in a merged Methodist/Presbyterian church when I was 14. Shortly after I walked away from Christianity & then believed in the Gospel many years later at 39. I was going to join a Pentecostal church in August 2004 but for some reason decided to attend liturgy at the Orthodox church my father grew up in (till he was 16 & my grandfather then pulled the family out of the church...long story almost 70 years ago). Anyway, the liturgy reflected the Lord's words to the Samaritan woman in John 4:24, "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in Spirit and in truth."

From that point, I knew I had to be Orthodox. From October 2004 to Good Friday 2005, I was catechized & was baptized (never had been) & chrismated (confirmed) on Holy Saturday (the day before Pascha "Passover" or "Easter") 2005.

Upvote 0

Boris89

Apr 21, 2013
Bulgaria
✟15,425.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was baptised as a newborn, although formally since none of my parents or grandparents are believers. It was not until my 23-rd year that I turned to Christ. Such is the case with most of the people of my post-communist generation (born around~1989). Ties with the Orthodox generations of the 20's and 30's have long been severed, you are raised virtually as a pagan, fall into almost all sins and after that God finds you.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Raised a nominal Catholic in a half-nominally Catholic family who went to Mass like twice a year at best. Went through a Protestant phase as a late teen but didn't want to jettison liturgy so I went Anglican for around seven years with my parents. Then had a burning desire to have the Theotokos in my life, confession, what I thought was a "valid" Eucharist, and found too much bipolar theology in Anglicanism, returned to Catholic. Then back to Anglican, then back to Catholic, and, yes, as ABSURD as it sounds, back to Anglican before my wife and I realized the West lacked Truth in its entirety altogether.

I had flirted with Orthodoxy from AFAR, but it wasn't until I read Father Meyendorff's book "The Primacy of Peter" that I discovered the reality about the papacy.

There are a lot of other mitigating circumstances, reasons, theological motivations as well as my utter disgust for the post Vatican II Novus Ordo liturgy, that led me to Holy Orthodoxy, but honestly the Holy Spirit put Joseph Hazen (another good poster here at TAW) in my path. He was on a Catholic message board online, and we met one night. He sent me a message asking me if I lived in my town. I said yes. We laughed because WE LIVE IN THE SAME SMALL TOWN! The chances of that? miniscule! We met up at a local Starbucks, I had a WONDERFUL time talking to him, we met a few more times, he eventually invited me to his parish up in Fresno one hour from here, and it took me a year, but I got chrismated along with my kids and lovely wife. And the road AFTER becoming Orthodoxy had some bumps, but God wants me in this Church---PERIOD. And thanks to many kind posters in here, I've stayed true. The Holy Spirit is strong and loves me. I owe Him all the credit!

Orthodoxy is a blessing that keeps on giving....

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was raised in an Irish Catholic community and always had a love of history, but was never satisfied with an inconvenient 700 year gap our church history classes always had between Constantine and the Crusades.

My stepmom entered our lives when I was a kid and she had become Orthodox with the EOC during her first marriage in Alaska. Well, some years later she meets my dad and about seven years after that he becomes Orthodox. By this point I'm sixteen and had flirted with being a closet Atheist for some time until I realized that it is impossible for all of existence to come out of nothingness without some sort of divine intervention. So, during a two month vacation in Miami I was given the book, "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware thinking to myself, "if these people can tell me what happened during those 700 years I'll take them seriously!" since I'd long ruled out Protestantism.

The week before I left Miami I was chrismated with the name Constantine. I found the name the Sunday after telling my dad and the priest I'd like to become Orthodox. Since the cathedral there would do the full version of Matins my dad found a book on the lives of the saints and sat me in the social hall (at the time it was separated by a partition from the church - now they are separate buildings) saying, "You have until 'Blessed is the Kingdom' and if one or a few speak to you let me and Fr. P know after Liturgy". I related a lot to Constantine because he is a unifier and I try to be a unifier whenever I can. He is also highly misunderstood by the Protestant world which effectively happens to be the culture most Americans are surrounded by and I've never understood it! :D

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

My story is going to be quite boring compared to everyone else's! I was baptized as an infant and was raised in an Orthodox home, with Orthodox parents and grandparents. I always loved going to church, and when I was 7 I was selected to join the acolytes ( altar servers). Well I can tell you that 7 year old me thought it was the coolest thing ever! Serving in the liturgy, the trips and retreats, even marching in the Greek Independence Day parade in NYC! Now 17 years later, I still serve and am discerning a "career" in the ministry. Orthodoxy has always been the biggest part of my life, I cannot imagine life outside the church!

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you want some convert stories to read, check out this TAW thread begun in 2004:

http://www.christianforums.com/t3005537/

This is what I posted there. Ten years on, it's still pretty accurate. :)

Hi, all.

I guess this will be my introduction to TAW. I just joined yesterday. I am also a convert to Orthodoxy. I was chrismated into an OCA mission on Holy Saturday, 2001, taking the name of Mary (sister of Martha & Lazarus), which is my given name also. I live in a Dallas suburb, and work in Dallas, near St. Seraphim Cathedral.

I grew up in a Christian family, very active in the Southern Baptist churches, youth group, choir, Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, the whole shebang. After my marriage to a non-church goer, I got away from church for awhile, but after our two sons were born, I joined a SB church in Dallas and started going with them. Later, my husband started attending with us, and he and both sons were eventually baptised in Baptist churches also. By that time, though, I was already feeling the need for true worship which I felt was missing, and had been reading about different denominations and how they worshiped. By 1990, I had become convinced that the Sacraments were real, and I needed them, so I left the Baptist church and began attending an Anglican Catholic church (I didn't know at first that it was separated from ECUSA, I just knew it was "high church"). It was no accident, because it wasn't beset with the cockeyed theology of ECUSA, and was a "safe" place to learn about catholic belief and sacramental Christianity. My whole family was confirmed into that church in 1991. We were in a wonderful parish with a wonderful Priest whom I still consider my friend, but as I continued to read about the ancient Church, other questions began to arise. The "usual questions" - what is the Church, where is it, does it still exist, am I a part of it? This, plus some friends who began a home church patterned after Orthodoxy (though not canonical in any way!) started my interest in Orthodoxy. I knew there were Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox, etc., but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

So once again, I started reading everything I could, and around 1997 started attending some services and classes around the area. I was in a serious auto accident just before Thanksgiving that year which put things on hold for almost a year, but then hubby & I started attending "Orthodoxy 101" classes being held at Holy Trinity GO, which included a Vespers service, so it was very helpful. However, we didn't like that quite a bit of the Liturgy was in Greek, and as incredibly beautiful as their temple is and as much as we liked the young Priest, it just didn't seem quite right for us.

Then I found an OCA mission about 20 minutes away from home, and met the Priest there, who started coming to our home to instruct hubby and I. After several months, he was ready to make us Catechumens, but at that point my husband decided he couldn't leave our Anglican parish - he was too happy there to actually make the move. But we decided (together with both Priests) that it would be best for me to go ahead and convert on my own, so I was made a Catechumen in February, then brought into the Church on Holy Saturday.

It has been a struggle for me, because I'm totally alone as far as family & friends go, and my shyness keeps me from joining into the parish as much as I should. We have a new Priest who has already been very helpful in making me focus on the important things, and quit expecting perfection from myself. So I'm just trying to keep my focus on daily prayers, fasting, confessing, and receiving the Holy Mysteries, and on getting right back up when I fall down.

I love Orthodoxy. I could never worship any other way now, and I'm amazed at the almost completely different understanding of Christianity and my relationship to Christ that the Church teaches, compared to my protestant understanding. I just wish that every Christian would accept Orthodoxy!

Please pray for my husband and two sons that they will find the True Church one day, too.

Mary

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your loss turned out to be your GAIN! :)

I "debated" Orthodox Christians as a Catholic over in Catholic Answers Forums for months. Tail between legs, humbled, looked like utter moron, realized I was ignorant of history with gaps, relied too much on apologetics boloney materials from Catholic media, lost arguments A LOT! :sorry::sorry::doh::p

Here I am! ^_^

debated an Orthodox street preacher......and lost......big time

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

messierobject

Oct 30, 2014
✟15,112.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
My family settled here from Prussia and built a Lutheran church. By default, the majority of the family was Lutheran, plus this was a German town at one point. I was lukewarm at best, but was always interested in theological and historical debates. Blah blah blah, a couple years ago I started reading about what would be my path to orthodoxy. I never heard of it before. A few months ago I told my wife we should go to the Greek Orthodox Church a mile down the road from us. And here we are!

I always felt and knew there was something missing in the protestant churches I went to. Like, a gaping hole that always felt off to me and I could never pinpoint it. I found that missing piece at the Orthodox Church. Now, if I could only understand what's being said during the liturgy. Lol

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My family settled here from Prussia and built a Lutheran church. By default, the majority of the family was Lutheran, plus this was a German town at one point. I was lukewarm at best, but was always interested in theological and historical debates. Blah blah blah, a couple years ago I started reading about what would be my path to orthodoxy. I never heard of it before. A few months ago I told my wife we should go to the Greek Orthodox Church a mile down the road from us. And here we are!

I always felt and knew there was something missing in the protestant churches I went to. Like, a gaping hole that always felt off to me and I could never pinpoint it. I found that missing piece at the Orthodox Church. Now, if I could only understand what's being said during the liturgy. Lol

Welcome! :wave:

Mary

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My family settled here from Prussia...

Hey, my family came from Prussia! Welcome to TAW.

I described my tattoos on a Christian forum. I have a chi-rho on my leg (among other things) and a guy asked if I was very traditional. I was Roman Catholic and responded. He was Orthodox. Well fast forward some (a year?) and I was frustrated with liberalism in Roman Catholicism. My friend challenged me to find him proof of Papal Infallibility in the early church. I went back to my usual sources and found out that they could be interpreted differently, and if you did so it made far more sense with how the church has acted, historically. Further investigations made me realize the depth, sense, beauty, and truth of Orthodoxy.

I was catechized and Chrismated fairly quickly, about five months, because I was going to try and work at an Orthodox summer camp. That fell through when my Grandmother got sick. She ended up dying a week after I was Chrismated. As she was my Godmother in Roman Catholicism, and died on the feast of St. John Maximovitch, I took St. John as my Slava (family patron saint).

The end of that summer I met the woman I'd marry, proposed on New Year's Eve, and we got married the following May. We had our first kid ten months after that, I graduated college a year after that, we moved across the country, and now I'm in Seminary at St. Vladimir's.

(That moment you realize why you might be so tired...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shieldmaiden4Christ

Eastward bound
Aug 28, 2013
Where the Wild Things Are
✟16,564.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
How communion observed in this Church? What is the significance? Frequency?

Communion in the EOC happens every time there's a divine liturgy. It's sacramental, and is therefore only open to people who are EO.

Upvote 0