How Did The Sabbath Day Change From The 7th Day To 1st Day Of The Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostRadicalManEver

Site Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Visit site
✟36,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In response to the OP question - It didn't change!

I am curious how we know that our current Saturday is the actual day God proclaimed pre law. Did He tell Adam what was up, and oral tradition held that whole time? I guess it is possible.

Doesn’t the lunar calendar mess thing up a bit? I haven’t done my homework but… I mean if the Jews adhered to a lunar calendar, then day one would start over again wouldn’t it??? Am I off there?

Didn’t they mainly observe the luminaries to determine times (Gen 1:14)???

If they observed the luminaries then was the Sabbath fixed???

Jesus Rules!

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We are still debating this why? What is your point? How is worshiping the Lord on Sunday, on the first day of the week as Paul recommended in his letters bad for us?

I want to know your point.

Ok...lets pick this up in......

Corinthians 14:33 - For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Jesus said in Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God

Sunday is not written in the Bible to keep as a sabbath day or a Holy Day....You see that the Sabbath day is a sign between God and His people forever. Israel is His people and whoever chooses to obey Him now are His people. God intended for the weekly Sabbath (this word means rest in Hebrew) to be a refreshing blessing for mankind. God knew that human beings would need periodic rest and change from work. But the purpose for keeping God's Sabbath goes far beyond simply resting on that day.

We need that time each week to have close spiritual contact with God through prayer, bible study and fellowship with other believers. The Sabbath day is a blessing not a curse as ministers of Satan would have you to believe. Yes Satan has his own ministers and they bring you his doctrine. (2Cor.11:13-15) For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. (v.14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. (v.15) Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

(1 Tim.4:1) Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; The first day of the week, as the Sabbath day, is the doctrine of the devil. Satan is always trying to mimic God. So if it is not of God then it is of Satan. So if the seventh day Sabbath (Saturday) is a sign between God and His people. Then the first day (Sunday) is a sign between somebody and his people.

You can’t have it both ways you are either in or out. (1Cor.10:20-22) (v.20) “and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils”. (v.21) Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. (v.22) Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he? Just about everybody in my family goes to church on Sunday.

Even I used too, until I read the scriptures and researched the history of Sunday worship. Until I read the bible for myself I was in the dark. Now here’s your chance to come into the light. (1Peter:2:9) “that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:” Open your eyes sisters and brothers and see. Let no man deceive you. (Rev12:9) And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Satan through man (Religious Teaching) has deceived the whole world.

ORIGIN OF SUNDAY WORSHIP

Ample evidence from history shows that the celebration of Sunday originated from pagan practices of SUN WORSHIP. In March of 321 A.D., the Roman Emperor Constantine, who was at first a sun-worshiper and later a Christian convert, issued the first decree declaring Sunday to be a legal day of rest. In 336 A.D., the Roman Catholic Church officially changed the observance of Sabbath to Sunday for political and economic expediency. Since then, the original Sabbath gradually gave way to Sunday observance and the practice remains to this day. The Biblical Sabbath, however, is and has always been on the seventh day of the week, or Saturday. Despite the prevalence of Sunday worship in Christendom, we must look to the Bible as our authority and keep the seventh day Sabbath ordained by God.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In response to the OP question - It didn't change!

I am curious how we know that our current Saturday is the actual day God proclaimed pre law. Did He tell Adam what was up, and oral tradition held that whole time? I guess it is possible.

Doesn’t the lunar calendar mess thing up a bit? I haven’t done my homework but… I mean if the Jews adhered to a lunar calendar, then day one would start over again wouldn’t it??? Am I off there?

Didn’t they mainly observe the luminaries to determine times (Gen 1:14)???

If they observed the luminaries then was the Sabbath fixed???

Jesus Rules!

Some people believe the days have changed over time. However, the bible speaks of a seven day week and we still live according to this rule today. This is no accident. Past nations have even tried to shorten and lengthen God's weekly institution, but of course they failed. Man has also come up with names (after pagan gods) for the days, but it is no coincidence that each day is still known by it's perspective number (1-7). God has not allowed the days of the week to be altered over the centuries. Even during the sixteenth century when the world adopted our present calendar, the Gregorian, the days of the week did not change.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When did Jesus die and rise from the grave? The world has assumed he died on a Friday, because the bible does say it was the day before the sabbath (Mark 15:42). In this instance they admit to you that Saturday is the sabbath. However, what they fail to realize is that the Lord has seven yearly sabbaths (holy days) also. These high sabbaths (except Pentecost) can come on any day of the week, because they fall on a specific date. Even though tradition calls it "The Last Supper," Jesus actually died on the Passover (Matthew 26:2). The next day was the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, a yearly sabbath. "...For that sabbath day was an high day..." (St. John 19:31). This is why they kept referring to the day of Jesus death as the preparation. They were preparing for the feast.

Jesus died the day before a yearly Sabbath (the 1st day of Unleavened Bread), instead of the day before the weekly sabbath. This annual sabbath fell on a Thursday that year. This means Jesus died and was buried on a Wednesday evening and resurrected on a Saturday evening (three days and three nights). That's why when the women arrived at his grave early Sunday morning (while it was yet dark) Jesus was already gone. So much for sun-rise service on Easter Sunday morning.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are two calendars that exist. God's calendar and man's calendar; both consist of seven day weeks. The difference in the two calendars is that God has named the days with numbers, and man has given the days names. God's calendar begins with day 1 and ends with day 7, his weekly Sabbath. Man's calendar names day 1 as, Sunday, and ends with Saturday, day 7, God's weekly Sabbath. Although man's calendar is universal (the same all over the world) the majority of professed Christians worship the Lord on Sunday which is clearly the 1st day of the week not the 7th day that the Lord has hallowed, sanctified and commanded that we keep.

Professed Christians believe that Jesus rose from the grave on Sunday, thus, justifying themselves to change the Sabbath (the day of worship) to Sunday. However, the bible does not support their belief: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]"In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, [/FONT][/FONT]came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher. And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for low, I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. "He is not here: for he is risen," as he said. "Come; see the place where the lord lay." And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you." [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Matthew 28:1, 5-7). [/FONT][/FONT]Contrary to popular beliefs, Jesus, who is God the Son, did not come in the flesh and change the day of "The Sabbath". In fact, the bible will show that Jesus is God of the "Holy Bible", who created the heaven and the earth, and blessed and made holy the seventh day.

"In the beginning was the [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]word[/FONT][/FONT], and the [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Word [/FONT][/FONT]was with God, and the [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Word was God. [/FONT][/FONT]The same was [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]in the beginning with God[/FONT][/FONT]. All things were made by [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]him; [/FONT][/FONT]and without [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]him [/FONT][/FONT]was not [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]anything made that was made." [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](John 1:1-3)[/FONT][/FONT]. Now, Revelation 19 verses 11-16 confirm to us that Jesus Christ is the word. Therefore John chapter 1 verses 1-3 is speaking on this manner; verse1: In the beginning was [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Jesus Christ, [/FONT][/FONT]and [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Jesus Christ [/FONT][/FONT]was with God. And [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Jesus Christ was God. [/FONT][/FONT]Verse 2: [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Jesus Christ was in the beginning with God. [/FONT][/FONT]Verse 3: All things were made by [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Jesus Christ [/FONT][/FONT]and without [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Jesus Christ was not anything that was made. [/FONT][/FONT]Let us establish this with another witness as God commands. "And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:" [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](Eph 3:9)[/FONT][/FONT].

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The standardized calendar used in much of the world, not including the US, has Sunday as the seventh day of the week.

Marv

Show me I like to see that... There are two calendars that exist. God's calendar and man's calendar; both consist of seven day weeks. The difference in the two calendars is that God has named the days with numbers, and man has given the days names. God's calendar begins with day 1 and ends with day 7, his weekly Sabbath. Man's calendar names day 1 as, Sunday, and ends with Saturday, day 7, God's weekly Sabbath. Although man's calendar is universal (the same all over the world) the majority of professed Christians worship the Lord on Sunday which is clearly the 1st day of the week not the 7th day that the Lord has hallowed, sanctified and commanded that we keep.

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The ISO Week Date Calendar

Gives you a very basic example. More countries use it than use the one in the US.

Year 2009 Calendar – Norway Is the Norwegian calendar for 2009 which uses that system. As you can see, Monday is the first day of the week, Sunday the seventh.

If you think the calendar is the same all over the world, well, you should get out more.

Marv

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The ISO Week Date Calendar

Gives you a very basic example. More countries use it than use the one in the US.

Year 2009 Calendar – Norway Is the Norwegian calendar for 2009 which uses that system. As you can see, Monday is the first day of the week, Sunday the seventh.

If you think the calendar is the same all over the world, well, you should get out more.

Marv

If thats true, then so be it. But that don't change the fact that in the U.S. people don't go to church on the day according to the Bible. And if you live where the sabbath is on saturday the seventh day of the week, then thats the day that you suppose to keep sabbath.

Proverbs 10:8 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.

10:9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.

Upvote 0

The LORD's Minstrel

↔ ĴĔŜŨŜ ĨŚ ĶĨŇĞ ↔
Mar 12, 2004
Miami,Florida
✟558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The old Law says" Whoever can pass my laws,can make their own laws and I have to resign."

Jesus took that challenge and passed the laws test and now Jesus got rid of the old commandments purpose.Therefore all the Bi-laws and original 10 commandments no longer exist as a pupose for God. Now God simply says" Believe in my Son Jesus,know Jesus has passed/fullfilled the laws test/requirements.Jesus now simply says,just Love one another."

So no more concerns about the sabath day ordeal.
No more concerns about doing festivals.
No more concerns about sacrifices.
No more concerns about doing the passover.
And no more concerns about any and all the old laws and bi-laws anymore.

Why is there no more concern for these things,BECAUSE THEY DONT EXIST ANYMORE for us who believe in Jesus.Only an unbeliever still goes to the old laws and starts nonsense conversations and fruitless ways.If a christian still wants to keep on living as if the old laws and old ways are still existent,then they will be like an Ox kicking against the pricks.

Theres so much old testament still be preached and used as an up to date lifestyle and its really just messing people up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If thats true, then so be it. But that don't change the fact that in the U.S. people don't go to church on the day according to the Bible. And if you live where the sabbath is on saturday the seventh day of the week, then thats the day that you suppose to keep sabbath.

Proverbs 10:8 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.

10:9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.

If you are going to keep sabbath, then that means it is a day of rest. It appears to me it was man who turned it into the one day of worship. Since this is obviously something you spend a lot of time on, would you show the scriptural passage that God says we should have the seventh day be our one day of worship?

Marv

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you are going to keep sabbath, then that means it is a day of rest. It appears to me it was man who turned it into the one day of worship. Since this is obviously something you spend a lot of time on, would you show the scriptural passage that God says we should have the seventh day be our one day of worship?

Marv

Hey BigNorsk....

(Lev.23:3) “Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocationHe said on the Sabbath day that you should also have an holy convocation, which means holy gathering or simply put, go to church.

Jesus made it clear that the seventh day was made for mankind. (Mark 2:27-28) (v.27) And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Do we understand that, the Sabbath was made for us, not us for the Sabbath. (v.28) Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath. The Son of man (Jesus) is the Lord God of the seventh day Sabbath (Saturday).

Upvote 0
W

WuAgent

interesting

the bible does not mention the name for the days of the week or the months of the year. methods for measuring time have changed over the ages havent they? all the bible says is that we should worship on the seventh day, it doesnt say what day that is. for all we know wednesday could be the original seventh day.

i dont know, i'd have to do more research on the matter.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
interesting

the bible does not mention the name for the days of the week or the months of the year. methods for measuring time have changed over the ages havent they? all the bible says is that we should worship on the seventh day, it doesnt say what day that is. for all we know wednesday could be the original seventh day.

i dont know, i'd have to do more research on the matter.

I hope thats not an excuse to not keep the sabbath day, cause if I had a brief case full of money and told you to meet at a certain place at a certain time on the seventh day of the week, I bet I see you saturday.

Proverbs 8:5 O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.

Proverbs 9:9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.

9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Upvote 0

HKAngel

Loving the Lord, my DD and my papi
Jul 5, 2009
South Bay, California
✟7,645.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
We are still debating this why? What is your point? How is worshiping the Lord on Sunday, on the first day of the week as Paul recommended in his letters bad for us?

I want to know your point.

Me too! What is the point?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Me too! What is the point?

Paul never recommended going to church on sunday. (Ex.31:16-17) (v.16) Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. (v.17) It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. You see that the Sabbath day is a sign between God and His people forever. Israel is His people then and whoever chooses to obey Him now are His people. God intended for the weekly Sabbath (this word means rest in Hebrew) to be a refreshing blessing for mankind. God knew that human beings would need periodic rest and change from work.

But the purpose for keeping God's Sabbath goes far beyond simply resting on that day. We need that time each week to have close spiritual contact with God through prayer, bible study and fellowship with other believers. The Sabbath day is a blessing not a curse as ministers of Satan would have you to believe. Yes Satan has his own ministers and they bring you his doctrine. (2Cor.11:13-15) For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. (v.14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. (v.15) Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

(1 Tim.4:1) Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; The first day of the week, as the Sabbath day, is the doctrine of the devil. Satan is always trying to mimic God. So if it is not of God then it is of Satan. So if the seventh day Sabbath (Saturday) is a sign between God and His people. Then the first day (Sunday) is a sign between somebody and his people. You can’t have it both ways you are either in or out. (1Cor.10:20-22) (v.20) "and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils". (v.21) Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. (v.22) Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
✟7,705.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
This is a very important issue, thanks for bringing it up, Tanzel. Very well stated and I can tell the detractors on this post are not engaging you in your questions. They are standing on the tradition of Constantine alone.

Where does it say that Paul did not observe the sabbath on the 7th day? Also, if the old covenant was made null and void, does that void the 10 commandments? Yeshua came to fulfill the law (Torah) and furthermore, the Scripture says he is the Word (=Torah =The Law) so how can he nullify himself? This whole topic is not an issue of legalism, it is an issue of seeking obedience to God's commands, and an issue (for me at least) of why do we follow Constantine's changes to the purity of the early church?

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
✟7,705.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Back to BigNorsk's issue on the fact that other societies use Monday as the first day on their calendar... It is clear that in the Judeo-Christian tradition Sunday has been considered as the first day of the week. More modern standards have been adopted to govern internet applications and digital calendaring systems. This standard is known as ISO 8601 and was adopted in 1988 by the International Standards Organization-- very modern, and not surprisingly post-Christian European in origin. Origins of the concept of Monday being the first day of the week appear to come from Slavonic traditons (pre-Christian/pagan). A number of languages appear to reflect Sunday's status as the first day of the week. In Greek, the names of the days Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (Δευτέρα, Τρίτη, Τετάρτη, and Πέμπτη) mean "second", "third", "fourth", and "fifth", respectively. This suggests that Sunday was once counted as Πρώτη, that is, "first". A similar system of naming days of the week occurs in Portuguese. Monday is segunda-feira, which means "second day", also showing Sunday (domingo) to be counted as the first day. Similarly modern Latin uses "feria secunda" for Monday.

So the fact that some societies use calendars with Monday as the first day of the week does not at all detract from Tanzel's point.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
✟7,705.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Amen, HolyWarrior. It's not a matter of legalism or anything like that. It's a good discussion though on obedience to God's commands. As disciples of Christ we should long for obedience to his eternal statutes. John 14:15 Yeshua says "If you love me, you will obey what I command." It's not that our salvation is based on this, but it is our heart to find out what the will of the Father is, and to follow that. Also it's not about what day we worship, you are right, we should be in a constant state of worship of the Father. But this comes to a discussion of what is God's heart on the order of things? In the order of things, it is clear that God wants us to take Sabbath rest and gather together for a "holy convocation" on the 7th day, just as he rested on the 7th day. Keep on pressing on in the way you are going, you've got the right spirit. Just think about these items and you will be challenged to see the order of things as God set forth in the Torah. As we follow his order, we will be blessed as we fall into synch with his calendar! Be blessed, friend!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.