How can we know for sure what Doctrine is true?

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wrote an article I would like to share with everyone about the subject of the church having different doctrines and our need to come together to know what is true. Here is the link: Article - Never Confused About Doctrine

I believe if we all used the scriptures as our foundation for our beliefs and came together to understand clearly then there would be no division.

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tried and tried again, many people and many times with good intentions, but we are accepted by God into his family, we have to respect each other and deeply love one another even greater than our love for ourselves. If we are right and they are wrong, guess what, they are weaker and we should nurture and love them more. Posting the Gospel and receiving the Holy Spirit is sufficient. The next step is to love one another. Why? So our weaknesses or even sins are totally overlooked, even if they are a multitude. And also that we actually do what Jesus told us to do. Maybe God likes a family varied and different, yet bonding through Jesus with harmony and deep love for each other. Obedience is better than sacrifice. Obedience to Jesus' command of loving one another and being known in this way. We are suppose to preach the Gospel alone and not change it. Here is where we need to fear God and search him out, and leave theologies, superstitions, and their dual combinations out of our hearts and preaching. Fearing God and adhering to the teachings & commands of Christ (his Gospel to us from the Father) is where our stand should be. The teachings & commands of Christ are but one, are they not? Theologies like Trinity does make them confusing and developing with many add-ons, but yet the Gospel is truly the Word of God from Jesus to us alone. Here we should fear God and not superstitious theologies with questionable origins and long embittered histories of anti-Christ injections into the churches in the forms of extreme violence towards other Christians and aiding in the constant growing of religions springing ever from the first churches, and these are known as divisions, Denominations or coercive group associations.

There is and has always been one group of true followers of Christ. They love alike. They teach alike. Some are weak and some very strong, yet they deeply respect & love one another and fear God; not man, the world, the Devil and the many or few more sacred theologies. They don't waste their time with weaknesses of man's nature (especially debating nonsense when they already have the Gospel, the Holy Spirit, Christ, their faith and are thus complete). They are sure in their faith and are known so by upholding Jesus and loving one another.

May God bless everyone here, and may each of us follow Jesus and not a man or men and their ways.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As long as we don't start making war on each other, does differences in doctrine really matter? We have a corner in my town where there is a Presbyterian, an Episcopal, and a Methodist church right across the street from one another. Yet, their doctrinal differences don't matter at all. They join together on Good Friday for a cross walk, or for the town's fall festival. They all believe in the same Trinity and Resurrection. One believes in predestination, one in free will, and the other is somewhere in between, yet the don't burn each other's pastors as heretics.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably the main divisions of Christians is less over Redemption, for the Gospel message of salvation is fairly universal, unless one cannot recognize the deity of Christ and the new birth in Him. Redemption also encompasses judgments, which sometimes raises opposition; and the coming and reign of Christ, which usually rises from one's who don't know their Bible well; and there is also some differences about what is honoring to the Lord in our lives.

Church truth is most often the stumbling block, where we find some differences about God's purposes, His testimony in the world, and collective worship, etc. This speaks of "unity of the Faith", which is widely interpreted in christendom.

Spiritual life is mostly well recognized by all "born again" believers, but challenged by those who are only disciples and followers of Jesus' teachings. I see Redemption way, Church truth, and Spiritual life are the main aspects shown for the Church in the world, and I believe we need to have them in balance in our Christian life.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I wrote an article I would like to share with everyone about the subject of the church having different doctrines and our need to come together to know what is true. Here is the link: Article - Never Confused About Doctrine

I believe if we all used the scriptures as our foundation for our beliefs and came together to understand clearly then there would be no division.

That is right.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

Shiversblood

Civil rights activist
May 12, 2007
United States of America
✟17,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Its confusing for me such as, I was born Catholic etc and was baptised as a baby in A christian church. However i stopped going to Catholic church after like 13. A friend of mine attended a Church however it was a Non-denomational church. And I got the second baptism with the dunking, at 16. different than a baptizing by getting sprinkled by the water as a baby. And I asked everyone at that church if they had been baptised as a baby and they all said no, except 1 guy who used to be catholic.

I would sometimes joke and tell the non-denomationl guy i was more christian because i was baptised twice and he was only baptized once in his teens

Upvote 0

MrsladyKat

Sep 10, 2012
✟7,708.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There will always be doctrinal differences, there are a few that we cannot waiver on, Salvation by Grace and not works is one that many churches do not teach. This confuses me as I know that it is only by the Grace of God we are saved. I have a verse that I share with all new Christians:

Acts 17:11
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

And I tell them to do just as these noble-minded people did, examine the Scriptures to see that Pastor was right.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There will always be doctrinal differences, there are a few that we cannot waiver on, Salvation by Grace and not works is one that many churches do not teach. This confuses me as I know that it is only by the Grace of God we are saved.

Which Protestant churches do not teach that salvation is by grace and not works? I hear this a lot on this forum, but have never found such a church.

Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is easy...

As a Christian, you should:

1. Believe in and love God
2. Accept Jesus as the messiah and savior
3. Try to follow his lead in all that you do
4. Perform good deeds, as a testament to your faith

The rest does not really matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrsladyKat

Sep 10, 2012
✟7,708.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bryan, you would be surprised by how many protestant churches teach Grace + works. Legalism is rampant in our churches today. It is kind of scary how many do not teach pure Biblical truth, pure Grace.

There is a whole bunch of churches that say pure Grace is greasy grace. That when we teach that it's all about what Jesus did and not what we do, that we are giving people a license to sin, which is completely false and anyone who has really studied Scripture knows this to be false. Anything the accuser can do to muck up the message he does. Trying to put us back under the law is not a new attack but it seems to be done more and more by so called Christians.

They do not seem to take into consideration that we are a new creation, and the Holy Spirit is within us, guiding us to be better and do better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Some thing I heard but cant refute yet. If one claims belief in Jesus as one gets saved the next step is sanctification in the NT only. The NT is The Word made flesh in Jesus. Because a babe proclaims Jesus is their savior then sanctification must be in the form of love Rom:12-2. Under transformation one is greedy in the Word to fix the mind that has been conformed to lets say of fear his God because momma and daddy took him to a hell fire you will burn atmosphere preacher, doctrine and people. So the Word and deeds done were out of let me avoid hell by___ and follow the law. While the babe is doing in body, the Mind, & Spirit lives under fear and the Spirit is dead. Yet we proclaimed our belief in Jesus. Jesus does not teach fear but perfecting love and SELF is first to be transformed under sanctification under new lens of love "Now" for application to others "later" to explain the , why you so happy all the time? Hope inside 1 peter 3:15 coupled to Matt 11:28-30. further coupled to 1 John 4:18. What is the easiest Yoke? Joy, Happiness. 1 John 4:8 states God is love so lets turn to 1 Cor. 13:4-7 as stand alone verses and replace love/charity with God and transform the mind in seeing self like that, for God see us like that, and in the sanctification through the NT to application comes reciprocation in Love to want to ease another for the Spirit now has grown when the mind is under love where all follows from the inside of us in Spirit/Body. Love to another once mind/self has basked in the awesomeness of His love through sanctification in diligence and prayer in the Word to transform id/psych/mind in a new way to perceive love and apply love to self/God/others. Doctrines set limitations to conformity of the mind. All come to the Word in a doctrine of one form or another for training in that particular doctrines limitations and in the people that surround us, who teach us that this way is the way and this truth is thrown to the wayside in Proverbs 3:5. Where we trust and invest selves in the preacher and rely on him and the doctrine and people more than God. To be transformed in love to later understand that self/God/another are all the same in Spirit but self comes first to grasp the others in the individual mind in Spiritual concept, see Gen 2:7 .<- God breathes His Spirit inside of us all but the Spirit is dead inside the individual who lives in fear, guilt, no self forgiveness, dwells in condemnation where the mind/self is stuck in Spiritual death. God does not live there, as the body and mind does good deeds out of the root word fear, which this mode of thinking comes from "if "I" do this "I" will avoid hell ,or, ease my mind for a time". Where is the promised peace? No "self love" is where our peace went. God/Jesus commands love thy neighbor as thyself. Thyself must be transformed first period. That is truth from an uneducated man to beseech all the beloved out there doctrine is conformity of the mind, and its OK for a season in training. Yet set your mind higher, in Gods understanding for in sanctification under love , the revisited scripture will open new door ways to floor you to tears if you will ask Him, in how did "I" miss that all my life. We were walking alone ,is how, in not transforming self lol. What is Mind in Rom:12-2? Self. Then verse 3 under new way to perceive in His understanding of love imparted to you in a measure of faith. This takes patients, diligence and prayer out of the love to do it CF family. Our minds have been conformed for our entire life time in one doctrine or another where we the sheep stagnate in Spirit in investing in the World. Move over , let Him . God will show us if we just let Him. Got to close ourselves in sequester for a time to be transformed in love to be ready to give account of the new hope found in you 1Peter 3:15. Close off the old testament for if you read it in sanctification you Now know of sin/guilt/fear/dwelling in condemnation IMHO. If one proclaims Jesus then Jesus is all the mind needs first in NT. Once one lives in love for while and is secure in there relationship and where one stands in His love then visit the Old testament where fear is prominent in that teaching... Just a wordy opinion on doctrines lol.
Be blessed in love

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There will always be doctrinal differences, there are a few that we cannot waiver on, Salvation by Grace and not works is one that many churches do not teach. This confuses me as I know that it is only by the Grace of God we are saved. I have a verse that I share with all new Christians:

Acts 17:11
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

And I tell them to do just as these noble-minded people did, examine the Scriptures to see that Pastor was right.

Acts 17:11 is a great example of people changing religion because they were willing to read the Bible for what it says.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

Okano

-
Apr 12, 2013
Washington State, USA
✟7,820.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Widowed
This is easy...

As a Christian, you should:

1. Believe in and love God
2. Accept Jesus as the messiah and savior
3. Try to follow his lead in all that you do
4. Perform good deeds, as a testament to your faith

The rest does not really matter.

You forgot repentance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bryan, you would be surprised by how many protestant churches teach Grace + works.

I would be surprised. That's why I asked you name a few. Most churches teach Grace + works in the sense that you recieve grace and then desire to do works.

Even the Pelagian Heresy was really a misunderstanding. Pelagius wanted to instill in his fellow Christians a need to serve as the church of Acts had done. Even in the 5th century, Christians were beginning to fall back on "Once Saved - Always Saved" and they had stopped doing anything but saying the prayer and then saying that they were done. They weren't being transformed as you are when you take your newfound salvation and start spreading the love around.

These alleged Grace + works churches are just trying to get complacent Americans off their sofa and out of the pews. They don't say that salvation comes from works or even works and grace.

I just spent a year moving between churches and I tried a lot of them, denoms and non-denoms, and none of them preached that works is a prerequisite for salvation. But they all called upon their congregations to do works in His name as a result of their salvation by grace.

Upvote 0

MrsladyKat

Sep 10, 2012
✟7,708.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh but they do Bryan, I could name a bunch of denominations but that would only cause drama, and I have no desire for drama.

Many churches teach that one can lose their salvation if one does not follow the laws, Grace + works. That is false doctrine. Once saved always saved is what the Bible teaches, it is not a license to sin nor does it do away with works. Works are a byproduct of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and not a salvation issue. Once you become a part of the Body of Christ, God will not amputate you off, if you mess up. If that were the case then God lied when He promised that those whoever believes in Him, will have eternal life.

I do not believe the Grace + works churches are doing anything other than trying to follow the ways of the Pharisees. Sorry.

These pastors don't get up in the pulpit and say it outright, it is more subtle, like satan doesn't out right lie, half truths are whole lies.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh but they do Bryan, I could name a bunch of denominations but that would only cause drama, and I have no desire for drama.

Many churches teach that one can lose their salvation if one does not follow the laws, Grace + works. That is false doctrine. Once saved always saved is what the Bible teaches, it is not a license to sin nor does it do away with works. Works are a byproduct of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and not a salvation issue. Once you become a part of the Body of Christ, God will not amputate you off, if you mess up. If that were the case then God lied when He promised that those whoever believes in Him, will have eternal life.

I do not believe the Grace + works churches are doing anything other than trying to follow the ways of the Pharisees. Sorry.

These pastors don't get up in the pulpit and say it outright, it is more subtle, like satan doesn't out right lie, half truths are whole lies.

I can tell you the ones that don't: Methodists, Wesleyans, Nazarenes, Lutherans, Presbyterians, and the Acts 29 Non-Denoms. I don't know enough about the others since I haven't studied their doctrines. It's true that you could claim that they are using subtle messaging without actually saying it, but that's more in the ear of the beholder than in what is being said.

We all like to think that the "other churches" are a bunch of heretics, but in my experience, they aren't.

Upvote 0

Okano

-
Apr 12, 2013
Washington State, USA
✟7,820.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Widowed

Serious question, are we supposed to repent or not?

Upvote 0