Householder Saints

Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think perhaps lay saints? Pretty much all the early saints and martyrs were every day joe smoes. Some were clergy, most of them though were everyday people. Some were slaves, soldiers, etc. Later in history did monasticism become a large source of saints.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't know if the category of being homeowners would apply to the saints. I don't know anything about 1st-5th century property law, beyond knowing that that's generally not something that is taken into account when canonizing someone.

That said, there are many military saints. St. Mina (Menas for the Greeks), St. Philopateer Mercurius (known in Coptic circles also as "Abu Sefein" -- holder/owner of the two swords), St. George, etc. There is also the Theban legion, which was an entire contingent of the Egyptian army who, during Roman times, were martyred together in the Swiss alps for refusing to sacrifice to the the emperor.

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

I don't know if the category of being homeowners would apply to the saints. I don't know anything about 1st-5th century property law, beyond knowing that that's generally not something that is taken into account when canonizing someone.

That said, there are many military saints. St. Mina (Menas for the Greeks), St. Philopateer Mercurius (known in Coptic circles also as "Abu Sefein" -- holder/owner of the two swords), St. George, etc. There is also the Theban legion, which was an entire contingent of the Egyptian army who, during Roman times, were martyred together in the Swiss alps for refusing to sacrifice to the the emperor.
There's also the 40 martyrs of sebaste who were Christian soldiers that refused to renounce their fate, being forced to strip and freeze to death in a lake during winter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums