Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Bottom line though, I think I'm more worried what TLT looks like to outsiders now that Colin is absent. Colin gave us a respectable Catholic image.
I'd be a fake to start threads like his. "Today's saint is........"

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Bottom line though, I think I'm more worried what TLT looks like to outsiders now that Colin is absent. Colin gave us a respectable Catholic image.
I'd be a fake to start threads like his. "Today's saint is........"

I enjoyed Colin's threads, but I'm not overly concerned with how we look to others. As a liberal, I'm used to not always having my views respected by more conservative Christians (Although, to their credit, some conservatives do respect my liberal views, which I appreciate). And I don't really feel an overwhelming need to justify my Catholicism or the forum's Catholicism to people who aren't part of our community who are just peaking in. I mean, it's not a popularity context. There are some people who we probably can't win with no matter what we do or so say unless we start acting like the other forums, and if we wanted to act like all the other forums, we'd still be there and not here. :)

But, you know, just for the record, I don't think you'd be a fake to start up a thread talking about whatever Saints are on the liturgical calendar for a given day. You're a Catholic, you like Saints. As long as you're not making stuff up or acting holier than thou, why would you feel fake? You could do like a list of people who's feasts are on any given day, and if you don't know who they are or have anything really to say about them, track down Wikipedia links and just put the link next to the Saints' names and people can read the list for the day and the links and then have something to say in the thread based on that, if they don't have any pre-existing knowledge.

Not that I'm trying to push you into doing it. :) I'm just saying, you know, in theory an atheist could look up names and post links, and I wouldn't think even the atheist would be fake if he just said "Hey, I'm an atheist, so I don't believe any of this, but I thought you guys would appreciate it, so here are some names and links as a public service.". And if I'd be okay with it from an atheist, I'd certainly be okay with it from you. :)

I guess where stuff where that can come off a bit weird is if people seem really over the top devoted and one kind of doubts that they are, or if they post links to these really conservative sites and information sources and you're like "Hey, isn't this a liberal forum?". But something like Wikipedia seems neutral enough, it's not exactly going to give you a hagiography. It might even talk about why some people don't like a Saint- which could get a discussion going.

But I guess I know what you mean. There are days were sometimes I feel like my posts might give off a vibe that I am more religious or devout than I am. Like if I'm having a tough time in life and maybe there are some interactions in real life with people that some might find unchristian on both sides, it feels odd to me to come in here and discuss some religious topic as if I'm this really holy man or something, because I know I'm not all that holy. But, you know, there's a saying that goes something like "The Church is supposed to be a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints", and that helps. Plus, I try to keep in mind that it's just a discussion forum, and that I am not actually going around claiming to be holy or a great person or whatever, I'm just claiming that I have an interest in typing about religion and having kind of a community on the Internet, and obviously I do have an interest, or I wouldn't bother. :) If it came down to it, if this stuff is very literally true, I could easily see myself winding up in hell, but I try not dwell on it. I hope God is better than I fear and that he'll be more generous than I am or can even imagine him being. And, if he's not, well, you know, that's life (or the afterlife, I guess. ;) ).

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just as an aside, the last post I type just now kind of reminded me of something. It'd be neat if we had more liberal Catholic resources on the net about Saints and the the liturgical calendar and stuff. It seems like a lot of it is either pretty conservative, or a totally secular type description, with little middle ground.

Like you're either on the one hand reading like the old New Advent Catholic Encylcopedia that sometimes seems over the top archaic and conservative or traditional (It was all written pre-Vatican II) and even the Catholic Answers thing, which is literally a political action committee that helps conservative politicians, or you're reading a totally non-religious source like Wikipedia. Given the choice, I'd choose Wikipedia. But I think it'd be neat if like the National Catholic Reporter or the Jesuits put up a website with their take on all the Saints and stuff that we could link to day by day- a progressive but Catholic resource.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I mean, it's not a popularity context.
contest?
It seems that from Davidnic's point of view, he would like to see threads that mark us as Catholic.Don't we all have some responsibility to evangelise if we call ourselves catholic ? I can see it might be less important for you, being an Episcopalian.
If visitors come here and think "cant see the difference between protestant sub forums and this one" , we may as well take catholic away from the sub-forum title. (let alone liberal title :) ) Personally I'd like to see Catholicism grow. I'm not good at evangelising. I believe Colin is and his threads gave/give us credibility.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't think you'd be a fake to start up a thread talking about whatever Saints are on the liturgical calendar for a given day.
I'd be a fake because that is not my interest. But I believe that a lot of people do read such threads that Colin provided even not many reply.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I've been considering this, but I thought Taddy, needed an add-on like, P Taddy D or Yo Taddy O, and then I thought why not Papa Taddy? Has a nice ring to. But Papa Taddy sounds too much like somebody a pill so I've settled on my nom de guerre, Papa Wheelie.
ROTFLOL, your post made my day!:p:p:p

Upvote 0