Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you mountaingirl. She is a very tough lady and she is giving it her all. But I think it is getting to the point where she is having difficulty swallowing, etc. she gets a little when she wants food or water but the majority dribbles out of her mouth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Prayers for peace and hope through this difficult time :crossrc:

The pain meds are a blessing for those who are in pain. I saw my Grandmother suffer while in the hospital with the excuse that the nurses just "couldn't" give my Grandma any more. I pray that your beloved Grandma doesn't suffer like mine did.:hug:

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She has been suffering and her hands are contracting but she seems to be doing a bit better with the morphine. We all know that she can only take morphine for so long but the question is how long. She is a very tough lady.
Prayers for peace and hope through this difficult time :crossrc:

The pain meds are a blessing for those who are in pain. I saw my Grandmother suffer while in the hospital with the excuse that the nurses just "couldn't" give my Grandma any more. I pray that your beloved Grandma doesn't suffer like mine did.:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
with morphine i think the only question would be one of how long before dependency sets in.
it's a narcotic, so that's part of the concern.
the other concern would be that a too-heavy dose would interfear with the automatic breathing response,
necessitating a breathing mask and additional oxygeon for her.

it may eventually come to that, but adding additional outside-the-body aids is something that
they try to postpone until they are necessary.

you might try asking if the care facility has a Palitive Care team that you could consult with
for her treatment. Those people are heaven-sent, and they are a wonderful resource during times like these.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She'll be 90 on the 25th. I do not think addiction is a concern at this point. I think the main concern is giving her quality of life and some comfort. I have no doubt the side effects of the morphine will probably shut her system down eventually. They started the morphine in a light dose and I imagine it will increase with pain management. It's crazy though, hospice has told us at least twice that she may not make it through the night and she always did. I know as prepared as we are, my mom is going to be shocked when she finally goes on.
with morphine i think the only question would be one of how long before dependency sets in.
it's a narcotic, so that's part of the concern.
the other concern would be that a too-heavy dose would interfear with the automatic breathing response,
necessitating a breathing mask and additional oxygeon for her.

it may eventually come to that, but adding additional outside-the-body aids is something that
they try to postpone until they are necessary.

you might try asking if the care facility has a Palitive Care team that you could consult with
for her treatment. Those people are heaven-sent, and they are a wonderful resource during times like these.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
She'll be 90 on the 25th. I do not think addiction is a concern at this point. I think the main concern is giving her quality of life and some comfort. I have no doubt the side effects of the morphine will probably shut her system down eventually. They started the morphine in a light dose and I imagine it will increase with pain management. It's crazy though, hospice has told us at least twice that she may not make it through the night and she always did. I know as prepared as we are, my mom is going to be shocked when she finally goes on.

my late hubby experienced the same thing every time he was transfered from one care center to hospital and back, or from one room to the next.
and you're right, no one is actually prepared.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's crazy we have had several times where hospice told us she may not make it through the night. She has congestive heart failure, dementia, and a myriad of other health problems. She pulls through everytime. She has suffered so much and has had a very rough life. It would be nice if the final stage could be peaceful and she spends an eternity with God. I don't see her lingering long with the morphine though. We shall see. Thank you for the prayers and companionship during this time. :)

my late hubby experienced the same thing every time he was transfered from one care center to hospital and back, or from one room to the next.
and you're right, no one is actually prepared.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
It's crazy we have had several times where hospice told us she may not make it through the night. She has congestive heart failure, dementia, and a myriad of other health problems. She pulls through everytime. She has suffered so much and has had a very rough life. It would be nice if the final stage could be peaceful and she spends an eternity with God. I don't see her lingering long with the morphine though. We shall see. Thank you for the prayers and companionship during this time. :)

My Mother lasted less than a week. We checked on her perodically where she laid in her bed. I did the final check and looked for her chest to move, it didn't . I called in the rest of the family to confirm.

We were instructed to call hospice and they came immediately and pronounced death. The Irish nurse came on her day off and dressed my Mother in a nice dress for her final journey.

I think your She wil pass soon, the Morphine quickens the process.

You know something Michie,death can be a blessing. When quality of life is compromised and not going to return, then it is time to go home.

I pray she passes quickly without further suffering.

Upvote 0