There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
@pinkjess how do I pm you?? Sorry I a very new to this website Xxx
I went ahead and sent you one. I agree with the above post. There is nothing sinful or un-biblical about needing professional help. No where in Scripture have I seen the apostles forbidding seeing a doctor or calling it a sin or sign of faithlessness. I have a benign pituitary cyst that if it were not for medical intervention would probably make me go blind. I take medication at least once a week for it to prevent this. I probably should seek mental help too for my OCD come to think of it but I have been too scared I guess.

Upvote 0

Cloture

Jul 20, 2015
a city by the sea
✟8,092.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The confusion about "physicians" here seems to be that Victoryismine feels secular counseling won't address a spiritual situation. Cath was encouraging them to get back into counseling and pray for God to use it for His will.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This topic has come up quite a bit over the years around here. Forgive me for using an older post of mine instead of coming up with something new and fresh.

In Orthodox Christianity we call such unwanted thoughts logismoi (tempting thoughts which lead to sin). The Church Fathers tend to recognize five stages:

assault (thoughts pop into your head)
interaction (you entertain these thoughts)
consent (you decide to act on these thoughts)
defeat (you are hostage- resistance is difficult)
passion (it becomes part of you)

The usual recommended practice is to pray when the thoughts first pop into your head. Ignore the thoughts if possible and keep turning your mind and heart back to prayer. It is easiest to stop at this point.

Most people will say the Jesus Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Upvote 0

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This topic has come up quite a bit over the years around here. Forgive me for using an older post of mine instead of coming up with something new and fresh.

In Orthodox Christianity we call such unwanted thoughts logismoi (tempting thoughts which lead to sin). The Church Fathers tend to recognize five stages:

assault (thoughts pop into your head)
interaction (you entertain these thoughts)
consent (you decide to act on these thoughts)
defeat (you are hostage- resistance is difficult)
passion (it becomes part of you)

The usual recommended practice is to pray when the thoughts first pop into your head. Ignore the thoughts if possible and keep turning your mind and heart back to prayer. It is easiest to stop at this point.

Most people will say the Jesus Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
That is a good plan but the thing is with people who suffer OCD or scrupulosity, the thoughts come constantly which causes great distress and the sufferer feels the need to repent constantly over and over again, which feeds the anxiety the thoughts bring, which makes the thoughts stay. It is an endless cycle and I lived it. I would repent every 10 seconds and slam my head against my headboard to get the thoughts to stop. That is mental illness. It was hell. The best therapy for someone with scrupulosity I believe, if the thoughts are product of the mental state, they need to realize that the thoughts are not coming from them, and that they can relax and let them go.

It is hard to tell when we should repent and when we should just let the thought go. I still struggle with it, but I try not to repent so often if I feel I didn't entertain the thought. What do you think?

Reactions: Victoryismine
Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Do not worry! The thoughts which are blaspheming God, are from the enemy, and not from you, especially if you do not like those thoughts, and are struggling against them! If you read in the Book of Revelation, you will see, that it is the enemy, who is blaspheming God!

What is important is that we do not agree, or accept and act on those thoughts!

You can visit the following website, to find out about a warfare, if you so wish;

http://www.christianwarfare.com/html/biblical-spiritual-warfare.html

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have a lot of anxiety and
I have this fear that god will kill me or
Let something horrible happen to me and makes me angry at him and when in angry I feel he will
Make it happen. I feel like I have no peace and I can't do anything because Its "sin" and also the unwanted thoughts cause me frustration. Please someone help me I don't know why I'm so angry with God I
Really hate confessing because it causes me frustrating and puts me off praying.

Do you know what salvation is? Do you know what the Gospel is? Do you know what being born-again means? Until you get these things straight in your mind, enjoying fellowship with God will be impossible. So, can you answer my questions?

Selah.

Upvote 0

LickedByaDog

Bewilderated
May 15, 2016
the wine cellar
✟16,449.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
From the other thread that was locked & this one I think you have three things that need untangling & dealing with for what they are.

The first is a wrong set of ideas about what God is & does, this is normal because you are transitioning from a child into an adult, and your concepts need to keep pace with your changing views on life & having a sexuality.

You would be best talking to someone who understands this, ie a clued up older Christian

The second is that you are engaging in "magical thinking" which is a phenomena of psychology whereby you give reasons to things that aren't true, (because the mind has to have a reason for things regardless) and you will subconsciously seek things out like the number 28, when other numbers won't stand out because they aren't relevant to the fear you have created.

For this you would be better seeing a therapist via your doctor if possible, because you need to keep this bit separate from the religious stuff & learn how to keep it separate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

The third is modern music, mass market pop music in particular is satanic & is manufactured to be so, the lyrics, the way they look & act, all done on purpose, with the objective of corrupting people.

That said there are honest musicians out there, you just have to used discernment, & try types of music that are new to you that are more wholesome.

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

James benu

Oct 9, 2021
Londom
✟7,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes of course you can PM me anytime! I would love to help any way I can!!
Pinkjess! I need your help im going through exactly what you are going through with OCD and God and I cant take it anymore. I created account today so dont know how to PM you but I would love to talk to you about OCD and God because I dont know what to do.

Upvote 0

Nitsud

Jul 17, 2021
Cherokee
✟11,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Ephesians 6:12

I see that you have much support here on this forum. You are blessed.

I do not have OCD. I do know some people who do. Some very close to me. I will not sit and tell you that I understand. I don't believe I can. I do see that you struggle with unwanted thoughts. This I can relate to. Part of your request for help made it clear you have a problem with feeling that God chasing you when you listen to ungodly music.
I feel like I'm restricted when it comes to music like when I listening to music I will get an unwanted blasphemous thought like calling god "stupid" or "serpent" because I feel so guilty for listening to the music with swear words or sexual lyrics.

I do not believe he is chasing you to harm you. I believe he wants to embrace you.
I spent many years listening to ungodly, blasphemous, sexual music in my younger years. I now only listen to God honoring music if I have the say in the matter. At times I even turn the music off and listen for the voice of God.
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God." Colossians 3:16
When I have unwanted thoughts and or lyrics stuck in my head I sing a song that Petra performs. It is called 'I will call upon the Lord' here is a link Petra - I Will Call Upon the Lord / We Exalt Thee - YouTube .

God wants us to keep him at the forefront of our thoughts. He does not want our brains bungled up with thoughts of unrighteousness.

Be strong in the Lord Words I Would Say - Sidewalk Prophets [LYRICS VIDEO] - YouTube

The fact that you came seeking help shows you are blessed.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Pinkjess! I need your help im going through exactly what you are going through with OCD and God and I cant take it anymore. I created account today so dont know how to PM you but I would love to talk to you about OCD and God because I dont know what to do.

I struggled horribly with OCD many years ago in my early twenties (I'm over fifty now). But I got free of it. Want to know how? Check out my threads in the Discipleship subforum on this site.

Upvote 0