Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Actually, I know quite a few Christians who live out their faith, my husband is one of them. And if it weren't for these particular Christians being in my life and showing me by their example that not all Christians are like the foul ones (for the lack of a better term) I have encountered in the past, I would never consider Christianity ever again. In fact, I would probably despise Christianity with a passion, but because of these particular Christians, as I said my husband being one, I can't and don't hate the religion.
Truth be told - we'd be in Paradise if everyone actually knew and followed the word of God.
God knows us so well, and what tempts us. So He forgives us.
But He laid out the directions to guide us to Him for an eternal Life with Him.
If He didnt love us soooo much - He wouldnt have come to be one of us - and give up in the most humbling painful way - His life for our sake.
He came to instruct us - which is mind boggling because God is supposed to be so much greater than we are - it's difficult to comprehend that kind of love.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Walking the walk is certainly one way to bring people to Christ; after all, we are to let our light shine before others so that people glorify God. But we are also called to go, and make disciples of all nations, so never evangelizing, never talking about it, isn't the way to go.
Talk and walk helps.
If you talk it - you better show how you walk it.
Thats the hard part.
We are so clumsy in that walk. I know i am.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm a big believer in letting the hurt out like draining a boil. Venting is part of the healing process. The stuff it and smile mentality is cruel imo.
:thumbsup: I have venting covered. :)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
As I said, the Christian counselor was an associate pastor of the church my husband and I use to attend.

And after I stopped attending his counseling sessions, he started avoiding me and my husband in church and he stopped talking to us.
If i avoided those who didnt hang out - i'd be friendless.
That seems like control... or holding a grudge. But i dont know.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
If i avoided those who didnt hang out - i'd be friendless.
That seems like control... or holding a grudge. But i dont know.

I don't know either. We changed churches shortly after that happened. I haven't seen or heard of him in years.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have been told many times over the years, by Christians and Christian counselors alike, that if I do not forget than I have not forgiven.
From what i know - if you go to confession [those who are Catholic] - if we forget a sin - its forgiven anyway because we intended to 'clean up' our sins anyway. And forgetting is a human condition and not intent.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If I didnt do put that in it could be self explain since the guy know about Christian. Its your Faith first, walk, work. I want to open up another question: how can one person be about Faith and yet show not ounce of it, They don't talk it nor do any of the work that is before hand, How can a person called themselves a child of God full of Faith and you walk is that of scorpion?
Just be grateful God understands their heart.
And pray for them.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have been told many times over the years, by Christians and Christian counselors alike, that if I do not forget than I have not forgiven.

I don't know what a Christian counselor is (in terms of being a position within some kind of church organization, I mean), but here is another view of forgiveness, from the brother of two of the Coptic Christian martyrs who were beheaded by ISIS in Libya recently, whose deaths were videotaped and used as propaganda for ISIS' continuing campaign of genocide against Middle Eastern and African Christians:

You will notice how Beshir (the brother) does not say that the bombings of ISIS are unjust, nor seek to pretend that what happened did not happen. He doesn't mention it in the phone call, but I know from other Coptic sources that the people of his village even tried to get a church built in memory of the 21 martyrs (even though one of them was not a Copt, but a Ghanaian Christian of some other confession), though last I've heard the local governor and police would not allow it, citing the ever-popular 'security concerns' (ughhhh). This is not an action that we would do if we thought that forgiving meant forgetting what has happened. And of course in Coptic Orthodox liturgical services, there are a great many parts in which we remember past martyrs and other saints. We have many, many books and other documents detailing these, some of which are included in the Synaxarium (a sort of history book of the church's important events and people that are recalled on a given day, when we read from the book about their lives and deeds as part of the liturgy), and some are not.

I'm sorry that you were given such admonishment, because I think it is deeply un-Christian. I know the RCC remembers its martyrs, saints, and important events connected to its life, too. This is standard and traditional Christian practice -- not "forget what happened or you aren't really forgiving". That is hogwash.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I still have so many emotions and hurt feelings that I need to work through. It's emotionally and spiritually exhausting for me some times.
That never ends.. so long as we live.
That's something we have to keep in mind. If only it were so easy...many more would be doing it.
Its exhausting...yep i know. But then we get reprieves and feel refreshed again.
Ebbs and flows.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
That never ends.. so long as we live.
That's something we have to keep in mind. If only it were so easy...many more would be doing it.
Its exhausting...yep i know. But then we get reprieves and feel refreshed again.
Ebbs and flows.

I have been feeling more burdened lately than I have been feeling refreshed.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have been feeling more burdened lately than I have been feeling refreshed.
I know what you mean. Believe me.
But even if i hang on - i know its worth it. Just hope i get a tighter grip...because when the point comes back around where i feel refreshed - it strengthens me again.

I totally understand.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I know what you mean. Believe me.
But even if i hang on - i know its worth it. Just hope i get a tighter grip...because when the point comes back around where i feel refreshed - it strengthens me again.

I totally understand.

We can lean on each other, my friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand, my dear friend.
I wanted to leave you an encouraging word and a blessing but couldn't figure out how to "start a conversation" since I am not allowed to post here, am I missing it in the new system or are you not allowing such correspondence?

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
You're asking what approach I would use for a class of people. I've never evangelized anyone like that. I talk with a person. Also, NO ONE lives out what they proclaim. Only Jesus Christ did/does that. For me, if I cannot live out my beliefs that is all the more reason to believe in the One who IS righteous. My failures proclaim the Truth.
That was beautifully put, Poor Beggar. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I wanted to leave you an encouraging word and a blessing but couldn't figure out how to "start a conversation" since I am not allowed to post here, am I missing it in the new system or are you not allowing such correspondence?

But as a non-Catholic, you are allowed to post here, as long as your posts are in compliance with this sub-forum rules of not teaching or debating against Catholicism and are in compliance with the other rules of the general site. And I have my conversation options set to people I follow only. I don't mind you posting in this thread to talk to me about what I have previously said here. You have been very kind and respectful to me and so, I welcome your feedback. Thank you for your support and encouragement.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.