sealsong

Dec 15, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
✟15,128.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to discuss homosexuality and the overemphasis that is placed upon this one particular sin by Christians today. I feel that a lot of evangelical Christians have approached this issue from a legalistic perspective more-so than a loving one.

Christians that believe homosexuality is a sin, which they should (Romans 1:26–27, 1 Corinthians 6:9–10, and 1 Timothy 1:9–10), usually fall into two categories. a) Those who believe homosexuality is a choice and b) those who believe that homosexuality is something a person can be born with natural tendencies towards.

Let's take a look at Romans 1:24-27: "So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved."

As we can see in this passage, sin separates us from God. These people worshiped creation instead of Creator, so God turned away from them and let them fall deeper into their perversion. One sin led to another. From this, we can conclude that homosexuality is caused by sin, and sin is a choice. Therefore, homosexuality is a choice.

That being said, there is no reason to believe that a person could not be born with more susceptibility to homosexuality, just as some people are born more susceptible to (unrighteous) anger. This, of course, does not make anger or homosexual activity anymore justified.

But wait... can homosexuality really be compared to anger? YES! They are both sin and both disgusting to God! This could apply to any sin. So why is homosexuality singled out by so many Christians? What about cheaters and fornicators and liars? This holier-than-thou attitude needs to stop. All of us sin, therefore none of us can cast the first stone. We are not doing our jobs as followers of Christ by treating homosexuals as inferior human beings. They are just as much made in God's image as we are. Win their souls by sharing God's love and showing them the change God has made in your life.

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
1Cor 6:9,10 "...nor homosexuals, nor sodomites... will inherit the kingdom of God."

Homosexuality is a rejection of one's God-given gender. The first word for "homosexual" in Greek is "malakos" which refers to the effeminate. The NASB translates this word "effeminate". It's also used for the word "soft" as in Mt 11:8 "A man clothed in "soft" garments" These homosexuals are "girly men". It's the stereotypical homosexual. It's the reason why they are referred to as "gay".

The other word translated sodomite in the NKJV is an"abuser of one's self with mankind", as the KJV translates it. The NASB simply translates it "homosexual". "If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination." Lev 20:13 The phrasing used in Lev 20:13 in the LXX - the Greek translation of the Old Testament used in Jesus' day - exactly mirrors the word Paul uses here. The LXX uses the phrase "αρσενος κοιτην". Paul uses "αρσενοκοιται", which as you can see just joins the two words together. Therefore he's referencing that same behavior which the Law of Moses speaks of, namely men having sex with men.

The word "sodomite" which the NKJV uses, comes from "Sodom" of which was condemned in the Old Testament for such acts. "Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." Jude 1:7

And concerning Lesbians and Homosexuals it is written, "Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion." Rom 1:26,27

Upvote 0
K

kristina411

I see what you are saying and I fully get it. We should all be held accountable for our sins, not just the people who sin differently than we do.

My stance is, leave it out of.the church while you are on your spiritual journey, and I will pray that one day you will be free of sins as I pray for myself. Jesus didn't teach with hate. What he did was teach with love, and from what I have gathered only showed disdain for those who were hypocrites of the church and the sinners who would not lay down and follow him. But even than, while being crucified, he continued to pray for them.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to discuss homosexuality and the overemphasis that is placed upon this one particular sin by Christians today. I feel that a lot of evangelical Christians have approached this issue from a legalistic perspective more-so than a loving one.

Christians that believe homosexuality is a sin, which they should (Romans 1:26–27, 1 Corinthians 6:9–10, and 1 Timothy 1:9–10), usually fall into two categories. a) Those who believe homosexuality is a choice and b) those who believe that homosexuality is something a person can be born with natural tendencies towards.

Let's take a look at Romans 1:24-27: "So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved."

As we can see in this passage, sin separates us from God. These people worshiped creation instead of Creator, so God turned away from them and let them fall deeper into their perversion. One sin led to another. From this, we can conclude that homosexuality is caused by sin, and sin is a choice. Therefore, homosexuality is a choice.

That being said, there is no reason to believe that a person could not be born with more susceptibility to homosexuality, just as some people are born more susceptible to (unrighteous) anger. This, of course, does not make anger or homosexual activity anymore justified.

But wait... can homosexuality really be compared to anger? YES! They are both sin and both disgusting to God! This could apply to any sin. So why is homosexuality singled out by so many Christians? What about cheaters and fornicators and liars? This holier-than-thou attitude needs to stop. All of us sin, therefore none of us can cast the first stone. We are not doing our jobs as followers of Christ by treating homosexuals as inferior human beings. They are just as much made in God's image as we are. Win their souls by sharing God's love and showing them the change God has made in your life.

I agree, sealsong. We need to recognize that other forms of sexual sin are equally abhorrent to God, but that might not go over as well with the congregation full of people who either have at one time or are currently in some form of sexual sin. The church seems to have abandoned it's mandate to preach God's word in such a way that sinners are convicted of their sin, and called to turn to Christ in repentance for forgiveness and the power to be transformed.

In the church's defense, though, I would also agree with Jennae that the in your face nature of many homosexual advocates keeps this particular sin in the spotlight. Also, there is a strong movement among many of those who at least call themselves Christian to deny that this particular brand of sin is a sin at all, which keeps the controversy front and center as well.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God said many things to hint the unbelievers that they can't really keep God's commandments no matter how hard they tried due to sin. All babies are born unbelievers in man's time but in God's time,that baby is on God's preplan. If the baby isn't in God's preplan, God passes over the sinner like He does on all of mankind in man's time.

This will make sense if you combine man's time and God's time.

Try explaining past, present and future all happening simultaneously. That's God's time.

Time was given after the big bang to keep everything from happening at once.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
how about you don't worry about them but focus on loving God and everyone else as Jesus loves us?

4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
how about you don't worry about them but focus on loving God and everyone else as Jesus loves us?

4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

You mean don't worry and marry them anyway?

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
what:confused: don't worry about judging them just love

All are totally depraved so working out anyone's salvation would be a waste of time. The elects are instructed to proclaim the gospel but not do the convincing that God is waiting for man to choose. God doesn't wait. He does the softening of the hearts. Most here are into the sport of convincing so boasting can happen.

Elects don't judge whom God chooses and whom God doesn't choose.

The gays are in the state they're born with. Nothing more.

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
All are totally depraved so working out anyone's salvation would be a waste of time. The elects are instructed to proclaim the gospel but not do the convincing that God is waiting for man to choose. God doesn't wait. He does the softening of the hearts. Most here are into the sport of convincing so boasting can happen.

Elects don't judge whom God chooses and whom God doesn't choose.

The gays are in the state they're born with. Nothing more.

the heart of the Lord is mercy. Are you not a sinner? so why do you have condemnation for them. It is easy to judge far harder to love.

wow start preaching a God of love and look how many so called children of God reject the very thought. wow. No wonder people come to this site and find no fellowship, no rest, no peace, no joy. When you post something positive little is said but post something people disagree with and you will get people from all over the forum.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the heart of the Lord is mercy. Are you not a sinner? so why do you have condemnation for them. It is easy to judge far harder to love.

wow start preaching a God of love and look how many so called children of God reject the very thought. wow. No wonder people come to this site and find no fellowship, no rest, no peace, no joy. When you post something positive little is said but post something people disagree with and you will get people from all over the forum.

Didn't say anything about me. I was stating what the Bible said.

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by Blue Wren
... Because delivering people from the "bondage of sin" is fruitless unless those people have a personal relationship with Jesus. There are many heterosexual people who are separated from God too. It's not the sin on its own but the separation from Christ that matters the most, no?
This is a very confused line of thought. FIRST, you and I are not able to deliver anyone from sin, nor are we able to free them, nor are we able to save them. If they do not see their own sin, and their own rebellion against God, they are not motivated to change anything except to please you.

That a sinner has not yet engaged in gross sins is no reason to ignore the sin of lust. The Apostle Paul equated LUST with COVETOUSNESS.
Romans 7
7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Sin is in the heart. Sins are an outcropping. (Matt.5:17-48) Sins are showing outwardly what is in the heart. It is SIN that separates us (mankind) from God. God saw the EGO, Flesh, Self, Carnal Nature, or Fallen Human Nature of man, and condemned sin right there! (Romans 8:3) Sin must be dealt with by God in His prescribed manner.
John 8
42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
The unrepentant sinner sees no need to be made different, and sees no need to be made one with Christ. There is nothing wrong with what the sinner is doing in his own eyes. The sinner seeks his own way, and this "Christianity" requires that the person abandon everything they want, and seek something they do not want.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
All your powers and faculties are so corrupt in your natural state that, except you be purged from dead works, you cannot serve the living God.
Joseph Alleine (1634−1668)

Whatever makes Christ's Gospel palatable to the carnal nature does this by mixtures that are adulterations.
Arthur T. Pierson (1837−1911)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.