homosexuality vs. alcoholism

thecherb

Nov 24, 2006
✟7,667.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So it sounds like the main reason that people claim homosexuals can't be Christians is that they are living in an unrepentant sin. That and various verses of the bible (man shall not lay with a man as he does a woman, etc.). None of us non-homosexuals know whether or not being gay is a choice, or a born trait. I am a Christian who is struggling with a minor case of alcoholism. Alcoholism in the sense that it gets me in pretty big trouble. Now when I got in trouble in certain situations, sure I felt like crap, don't want to do it again, blah blah blah. However, there are still many times when I drink to much excess. A classic example of gluttony. Is this an unrepentant sin? Would one have to come to the point of "not being an alcoholic anymore" to be truly repentant? And, how is this any different from homosexuality? I am of the school of thought that works cannot get you into heaven, nor can works condemn you. So why do so many Christians so easily condemn homosexuals?

Chie

A wise King finds happiness in acts of mercy
Aug 13, 2006
Texas
✟17,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So it sounds like the main reason that people claim homosexuals can't be Christians is that they are living in an unrepentant sin. That and various verses of the bible (man shall not lay with a man as he does a woman, etc.). None of us non-homosexuals know whether or not being gay is a choice, or a born trait. I am a Christian who is struggling with a minor case of alcoholism. Alcoholism in the sense that it gets me in pretty big trouble. Now when I got in trouble in certain situations, sure I felt like crap, don't want to do it again, blah blah blah. However, there are still many times when I drink to much excess. A classic example of gluttony. Is this an unrepentant sin? Would one have to come to the point of "not being an alcoholic anymore" to be truly repentant? And, how is this any different from homosexuality? I am of the school of thought that works cannot get you into heaven, nor can works condemn you. So why do so many Christians so easily condemn homosexuals?
Prayers for you with the struggle of addiction to alcohol.
There is nothing minor about any addiction that brings negativity consequences.

Upvote 0

Myriah

I love you, O Lord, my strength (Ps 18)
Jan 15, 2007
✟8,211.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Prayers go out to you from me also brother.

I have not touched a drop of alcohol in over five years.

I will never touch the stuff again, ever. I had blackouts and things happened that I don't even remember. That is scary.

I can tell you truly I have no desire for alcohol in any way shape or form. I prefer a sober mind, and love life more sober than intoxicated.

If you have anxiety, perhaps see a doctor about going on a minor anti-anxiety drug... it might help?

And stopping drinking can be accomplished, but it takes work!

Call AA, friend. I hope you will.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I am a Christian who is struggling with a minor case of alcoholism.

I am not sure what a 'minor case of alcoholism' looks like when it is at home.

My ex has been an alcoholic for years, and in the process has destroyed his own life and much of mine and our d's. He now says he is not an alcoholic, but used to be, and his parents are in complete denial and buy him a pint of guinness once a week when they take him to lunch.

I do not know if your 'minor alcoholism' is along the same spectrum as this pretence, but it sounds like it to me. Diminishment in order to pretend that you are in control.

I commend your efforts to escape from this terrible, appalling bondage. Please fight as hard as you can, and throw away the 'minor' because the end result of alcoholism is a very unpleasant death, and that is what my ex, and myself and d by extension, face one of these days.

I am sorry to sound negative, but it is important not to minimise this illness. It is a killer, and it is highly destructive of everyone it comes into contact with, whether the drinker, their family, friends or colleagues.

I will pray for you, and everyone else wrestling with this terrible condition.

I do not see that homosexuality is anything like this. It is not an addiction per se, nor is it destructive of humanity in the same way. I understand that your message was one of tolerance for sin, but it really is not at all on the same scale as addictive behaviour of pretty well any kind, imho.

Upvote 0

savedandhappy1

Senior Veteran
Oct 27, 2006
Kansas
✟18,944.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You admit yourself that you know it is wrong, and that you are sorry when you do it, so what is unrepentant about it?

The question some of us have is if you won't or don't believe you are sinning so don't ask forgiveness and continue to do it, then are you saved? That is what is meant by unrepentant sin.

We all fall short, even Paul said what I want to do I don't and what I don't want to do I do. Falling and sinning again is totally different then not repenting at all. IMHO.

Upvote 0

RMDY

1 John 1:9
Apr 8, 2007
Richmond
Visit site
✟10,946.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

When I use to be very, very depressed, before I ever went to church, I had so many problems that at one point I contemplated the idea of giving up on women and pursuing relationships with men.

- Rob

Upvote 0
D

DMagoh

We all fall short, even Paul said what I want to do I don't and what I don't want to do I do. Falling and sinning again is totally different then not repenting at all. IMHO.

None of us are perfect, but there is a BIG difference between:

1) stumbling and getting back up, confessing your sin, and trying to live according to God's Word, and

2) deciding to live a life of sin despite what the Bible says

You see, a wise man (Solomon) once said...
for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity.
Proverbs 24:16

The difference is deciding to rise again, instead of trying to justify your sin.

Upvote 0