Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wow, the second homily/lecture I posted is soooo profound...I've already had two epiphanies! Fr. John is a great orator.

He really is. He has certainly presented things in a way I've never thought of before. (I even told him so once when he spoke at my parish.)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
thanks Dot! I will definitely check these bad boys out later! Fr John has a nack at making me feel like a catechumen again, which is usually good for a know-it-all like me!
You're welcome!! Enjoy!

shanethetheologian said:
I listened to the first. Thought-provoking material. Thank you.
I thought so, too! Yw!

seashale76 said:
He really is. He has certainly presented things in a way I've never thought of before. (I even told him so once when he spoke at my parish.)

Awesome. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Very thought-provoking and timely ....thank you for taking the time to bring up the issue as it gave much food for thought on the matter when it comes to the ways we see fundamentals to the existence of man and how that should cause us to relate to Heaven.

The first one on fasting was very amazing for me to consider when it comes to the issue of fasting, how it connects to developing the mind of Christ and seeing what it means to abstain - for as he noted, we don't fast so we can discipline our bodies...but rather (if I recall how he said it accurately) we fast so that we can discipline our minds/see Christ for who He is.

And on the issue of how the way we treat others prepares us for how we treat Jesus, it is truly amazing to consider how much what we do in this life is a means of actively bringing about the judgment of Jesus to come - or His blessing. The second sermon you posted on Death itself - goodness, that floored me. The way that we really don't know what death is due to how our culture operates - and how Christ shows us what it means to be God due to how he died in his life before us.....and that we defeat death by destroying death. That we cannot know what it means for Christ to have come in the flesh unless we see/understand Christ out of the Flesh.

Again, so thankful for the videos - good things to make you really understand what Christ is about. Shalom sis..:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);65133220 said:
Very thought-provoking and timely ....thank you for taking the time to bring up the issue as it gave much food for thought on the matter when it comes to the ways we see fundamentals to the existence of man and how that should cause us to relate to Heaven.

The first one on fasting was very amazing for me to consider when it comes to the issue of fasting, how it connects to developing the mind of Christ and seeing what it means to abstain - for as he noted, we don't fast so we can discipline our bodies...but rather (if I recall how he said it accurately) we fast so that we can discipline our minds/see Christ for who He is.

And on the issue of how the way we treat others prepares us for how we treat Jesus, it is truly amazing to consider how much what we do in this life is a means of actively bringing about the judgment of Jesus to come - or His blessing. The second sermon you posted on Death itself - goodness, that floored me. The way that we really don't know what death is due to how our culture operates - and how Christ shows us what it means to be God due to how he died in his life before us.....and that we defeat death by destroying death. That we cannot know what it means for Christ to have come in the flesh unless we see/understand Christ out of the Flesh.

Again, so thankful for the videos - good things to make you really understand what Christ is about. Shalom sis..:)
You're welcome! Yes! It was amazing and it did floor me as well. The part where he explained why Christ had to die in order to save us...the way he explained it, I'd never heard it put that way before, and that death is the only thing that ALL humans will go through and so that's why he died for us. Wish I could remember how he put it because I'm not doing it justice, but I think you know what I'm talking about!

The other part was not seeing death and the whole explanation behind that.....Amazing!

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just finished the first one, definitely fascinating and thought-provoking. Looking forward to listening to the other two. Thanks for posting them!

You're welcome! I'm glad you're finding them interesting and edifying!

Upvote 0