New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Homeless No More

Everyone who lived or worked downtown knew Walt. That included the homeless and those who owned the downtown businesses.

All day long you could see Walt riding by on his homemade four-wheel sled running errands for someone. Walt picked up breakfast or lunch for people, bought newspapers for them, and even took people’s shoes to the repair shop. Walt stayed active serving in any way he could.

Not only did Walt run errands for people, he shared his message that Jesus saves. Walt knew that, because Jesus saved him.

Walt shared his testimony about the accident where he lost both of his legs. He told of his wife who left him because she did not want half a man.

Walt shared how he wanted to give up and how he had come to the streets he called home. Then Walt met Ol’ Jedediah, who told him about Jesus and how much Jesus loved him.

Walt turned his life around that day. Oh, he still lived on the streets, slept in the park in the summer and in a boxed crate at the end of the alley in the winter, but Walt always helped anyone who needed help.

He kept very little of the money he earned running errands. He did not need it. He had no rent. He had no bills to pay. And just about every diner in town gave him leftovers to eat. What Walt did not give to the mission he gave to those who needed it. Those he knew who needed something and would not spend it on something to drink.

Only God knows how many people Walt turned away from drinking and to the Lord over the years. Although everyone had to look down to see Walt, they all looked up to him, even the business owners, for everyone considered Walt one of a kind.

But today Walt is homeless no more. When he did not show up yesterday, Big Eddie went looking for him and found him in his crate at the end of the alley.

Walt lay there with a smile on his face and a letter on his chest.

The letter read, If you are reading this, it is because I am homeless no more. I got a home today because Jesus went to prepare a place for me. I hope you will carry on my work and tell others about Jesus because he has a room for everyone.

They passed an ordinance today allowing Walt to be buried tomorrow in the same park where he spent his summers. There will be a plaque which will read, In honor of Walt, who was twice the man most of us are. Now, he is in Heaven and he wants you to come and see him some day. If you do not know how to get there, ask anyone who knew Walt. He gave directions to all of them. ++++

Have you ever looked down at anyone, homeless or otherwise? Never look down on anyone. Instead, lift them up and give them direction(s). Do you know of someone who might not get to Heaven because you did not give them direction(s)?

Copyright 2001 Steve Demaree

To God Be The Glory!

=====
Steve Demaree
1608 Summerhill Drive
Lexington, KY 40515
(606) 271-2416
moviesteve@rocketmail.com
Submitted by Richard