AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyone have a Prayer Closet, Family Home Altar, or something similar?

What sort of space have you used, and how? Candles? Statues? Icons? Bibles? BCP? Holy water? Holy cards? Other significant objects or pictures? Crosses? Rosaries? Do you use liturgically correct colors?

Would you mind describing your space?

I'm looking for ideas and inspiration - for years, I've said, "One of these days I'm going to set up a prayer corner/home altar." And this Advent, I've been moved to get off my tush and actually do it.

CFoxDWH

It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks
Oct 2, 2004
✟8,032.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I have an altar, sort of, in my room but it's nothing special really. A candle, a cross, couple rosaries, a bible, and a little statue of the "Divino Nino" my girlfriend bought me in Guatemala. I like it though. My Baptist father loves to disrespect me by using it as an endtable.

Upvote 0

Songspinner

Cradle Anglo-Catholic
Oct 27, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
✟8,089.00
Faith
Anglican
Being that in my house, privacy is a strage concept and things are moved in and out of my room, apparently by grissley mice or elves because no one will fess up too it...I shutter to think what would happen to any sort of atler set up.

We did an excersize at a conference I once went to where you had to discibe your most holly place out of church. And I had to say probably my bathroom ( how sacralege is that) But It's the only room with a lock and when things get really hectic and too much...Its a great place to go and hide and spend some quality time in Prayer. I tend to do this at work when I get to stressed out too.

Upvote 0

Bonifatius

Sep 1, 2004
Germany
✟15,898.00
Faith
Anglican
Hi
I do not really have a corner, but one part of my living room table is dedicated to things spiritual :crossrc:

I normally have there a candle and an image (related to the season - at the moment it is an old painting of Christ entering Jerusalem), also my rosary and my prayer book and now - of course - my Advent wreath. But this changes - so over easter I would have some other kind of decoration like palm branches or palm crosses etc.

It is a nice place because it makes a good centre of my living room.

Greetings
Bonifatius

Upvote 0

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
CFoxDWH said:
I have an altar, sort of, in my room but it's nothing special really. A candle, a cross, couple rosaries, a bible, and a little statue of the "Divino Nino" my girlfriend bought me in Guatemala. I like it though. My Baptist father loves to disrespect me by using it as an endtable.
Oddly enough, I use an endtable, set up at the end of my bed. I've got my best Bible and Prayer Book, an icon of St. Michael, and one of my rosaries.Depending on when you look at it, there's a pillow that one could kneel on.

Upvote 0

gitlance

Jul 22, 2004
Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I have a little prayer corner that I've been building up for awhile now. So far I have tried to keep seasonal colors, which means right now the cloth I drape over my table is blue. :)

Current population includes:

A statue of Mary, Our Lady of Grace
My prayer book, "The Habit of Holiness"
My rosary
The painting of the Divine Mercy
A few candles, as well as a beautiful cross candle-holder
A hanging cherry-oak wall crucifix
An incense burner

I also have a place underneath the top of the table where I keep my BCP, Hymnal, the Scriptures, and various other little things I tend to use.

(I would post a pic, but apparently I need 100 posts. Haha.)

Christ's peace be with you!! :crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.