Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home devotional/worship area

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by LewsTherin, Jan 7, 2012.

1. LewsTherin

LewsTherin High Church Redneck

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I'm thinking of setting up a space in my house for prayer, meditation, that sort of thing. Maybe get a prayer kneeler, maybe an icon. I just need a place to devote to prayer, where I can stay focused. Anyone have anything like that in their house? Any suggestions?

2. aussieoldcatholic

aussieoldcatholic Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I have an 2 prayer spaces in my home. I call one the Eastern Altar and the other the Western Altar. the Eastern Altar is set up like an Eastern Catholic/Orthodox icon corner. complete with icons of christ, the theotokos, my name day saint, Angels, hanging vigil lamp, Ukrainian hand cross etc.

the Western Altar has a large framed original oil painting of the Madonna from mexico with a magnificent baroque reproduction crucifix on the 'altar' in front of it.

I use both frequently as the spirit moves me.

3. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Greens
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I tried setting up a space here but it didn't work: not separated enough from the busy, noisy, parts of the house. So I ended up using the front veranda (which is a fantastic sun-trap).

I'm mulling over what to do when we move, but I suspect I'll end up outside again. Rosellas and Lorikeets knock the socks off anything man made for beauty.

4. PaladinValer

PaladinValer Traditional Orthodox Anglican

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I have a little place. Nothing fancy. A few icons, cross, books, etc.

5. LewsTherin

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    That sounds awesome! If only I had the room...

I have a 2 year old, so my whole house is noisy and busy most of the time! I agree about natural beauty, but I live pretty much in a swamp. There's a bit of a mosquito problem when its not freezing outside. Maybe I can find incense with mosquito repellent...

6. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Greens
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Mosquitos are a big problem here too. With Ross River Virus.

7. LewsTherin

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Man, hate to hear that. Don't have any disease concerns with them here, they're just huge and plentiful.

8. Wish I had room for a devotional space. What I have now is a office/ sewing room. Sometimes i go to the church and sit in the quiet and pray. Daily devotions, morning and evening prayer are done in my messy space. I find nature, when it's not covered with a foot of snow, a wonderful space to seek God.

9. Maid Marie

Maid Marie Zechariah 4:6

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    I have a guest room which I have turned into a conservatory. I play my flute/oboe songs from several different hymnals. I recently got an Episcopal hymnal so well play morning and evening devotions from the BCP and 1982 Hymnal. Very peaceful.

10. AngCath

AngCath Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Anglican
    I have a small desk, place to sit, a few icons, and a couple of books.

11. Albion

Albion Facilitator

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I feel that God is with me at all times and in all places. I try to find a quiet space when speaking to him but there's no niche that I've especially decorated. There's no need for that.

12. Dylan Michael

Dylan Michael Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Since I live at a seminary, I usually go to one of the three chapels we have here. I do have icons and whatnot scattered around my room.

13. Etheldreda

Etheldreda Guest

I have a small corner with icons. There's not a lot of floor space at home (and no spare room - that sounds amazing!), so I usually find somewhere to sit and light a candle as a way of making 'space'.

14. TomUK

TomUK What would Costanza do? Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    UK-Conservative
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Mine's in a bit of mess though I need to do some cleaning and might get a photo of it and put it up here.

15. Ann_of_Love

Ann_of_Love Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Faith:
    Christian
    I have a desk. Well, really, it's an old vanity. I keep all my prayer books and bibles in the center (where the makeup should be, haha) and writing supplies and such in the other drawers. That's it, though. Really simple. :blush: