1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Home devotional/worship area

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by LewsTherin, Jan 7, 2012.

1. LewsTherin

LewsTherin High Church Redneck

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I'm thinking of setting up a space in my house for prayer, meditation, that sort of thing. Maybe get a prayer kneeler, maybe an icon. I just need a place to devote to prayer, where I can stay focused. Anyone have anything like that in their house? Any suggestions?

2. aussieoldcatholic

aussieoldcatholic Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    I have an 2 prayer spaces in my home. I call one the Eastern Altar and the other the Western Altar. the Eastern Altar is set up like an Eastern Catholic/Orthodox icon corner. complete with icons of christ, the theotokos, my name day saint, Angels, hanging vigil lamp, Ukrainian hand cross etc.

the Western Altar has a large framed original oil painting of the Madonna from mexico with a magnificent baroque reproduction crucifix on the 'altar' in front of it.

I use both frequently as the spirit moves me.

3. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Greens
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I tried setting up a space here but it didn't work: not separated enough from the busy, noisy, parts of the house. So I ended up using the front veranda (which is a fantastic sun-trap).

I'm mulling over what to do when we move, but I suspect I'll end up outside again. Rosellas and Lorikeets knock the socks off anything man made for beauty.

4. PaladinValer

PaladinValer Traditional Orthodox Anglican

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I have a little place. Nothing fancy. A few icons, cross, books, etc.

5. LewsTherin

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    That sounds awesome! If only I had the room...

I have a 2 year old, so my whole house is noisy and busy most of the time! I agree about natural beauty, but I live pretty much in a swamp. There's a bit of a mosquito problem when its not freezing outside. Maybe I can find incense with mosquito repellent...

6. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Greens
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Mosquitos are a big problem here too. With Ross River Virus.

7. LewsTherin

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Man, hate to hear that. Don't have any disease concerns with them here, they're just huge and plentiful.

8. Wish I had room for a devotional space. What I have now is a office/ sewing room. Sometimes i go to the church and sit in the quiet and pray. Daily devotions, morning and evening prayer are done in my messy space. I find nature, when it's not covered with a foot of snow, a wonderful space to seek God.

9. Maid Marie

Maid Marie Zechariah 4:6

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Nazarene
    I have a guest room which I have turned into a conservatory. I play my flute/oboe songs from several different hymnals. I recently got an Episcopal hymnal so well play morning and evening devotions from the BCP and 1982 Hymnal. Very peaceful.

10. AngCath

AngCath Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Anglican
    I have a small desk, place to sit, a few icons, and a couple of books.

11. Albion

Albion Facilitator

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Anglican
    I feel that God is with me at all times and in all places. I try to find a quiet space when speaking to him but there's no niche that I've especially decorated. There's no need for that.

12. Dylan Michael

Dylan Michael Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Since I live at a seminary, I usually go to one of the three chapels we have here. I do have icons and whatnot scattered around my room.

13. Etheldreda

Etheldreda Guest

I have a small corner with icons. There's not a lot of floor space at home (and no spare room - that sounds amazing!), so I usually find somewhere to sit and light a candle as a way of making 'space'.

14. TomUK

TomUK What would Costanza do? Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    UK-Conservative
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Mine's in a bit of mess though I need to do some cleaning and might get a photo of it and put it up here.

15. Ann_of_Love

Ann_of_Love Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Faith:
    Christian
    I have a desk. Well, really, it's an old vanity. I keep all my prayer books and bibles in the center (where the makeup should be, haha) and writing supplies and such in the other drawers. That's it, though. Really simple. :blush: