All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our Father among the Saints, the Holy Apostle St. Thomas the Twin, who was the founder of the Church of the East in Edessa. Babylon and India, did not write the Gospel attributed psuedepiographically to him.

Rather, it was written by Thomas the disciple of Mani, the third century Gnostic heretic. who

It actually was more inhospitable than that, even.

View media item 53716

There was no idolatry in those photos. This is what idols look like:

View media item 53717
Rather, the Orthodox churches are icons of both the Temple in Jerusalem, and of the heavenly realm; they mystically anticipate in their splendour the New Jerusalem. It is meet and right that the house of the Lord be furnished with all due reverence.
Icon's are a graven image.
When God was born in a manger that should tell you that "all due reverence" isn't bestowed with golden walls and ornate details in gold that is fabricated and installed into a church built by men.

Scripture tells us God is not found in structures built by men. He is a spirit. We should worship him in the spirit.
That means the Christian can worship him in the woods behind their house, because as the Bible tells us, all of nature shows us that God is on the throne, that God does exist, so that we are without excuse in thinking no such thing as God exists.
And so too per the topic of this thread, can the Christian give God praise in the spirit of the church. Which isn't a structure crafted by men, decorated with gold and graven images, but rather the body of faithful to him; that is the actual church God refers to in scripture.
And that means home churches, where that body of faithful commune together in his name, is acceptable to God.
Isaiah 42:8

You are free to worship as you see fit. However, please don't tell Christians that because they aren't entering into what you deem your ideal church that they are not entering into a proper house of God otherwise. For there is no scripture that commands the faithful in Christ to erect temples of gold and fill them with graven images for the glory of God.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Icon's are a graven image.

They aren't. They are not "graven." Nor are they idols.

When God was born in a manger that should tell you that "all due reverence" isn't bestowed with golden walls and ornate details in gold that is fabricated and installed into a church built by men.

The Church is built by God, and by men in cooperation with God. Individuao temples of the Orthodox Church are built by men to glorify God, and it is fitting they are splendid; just as it was meet that the Magi should honour our saviour with gold, frankincense and myrhh, we likewise honour him with these things in our holy temples consecrated to the proclamation of His Gospel, in which He himself dwells among the faithful and in the Eucharist.

Scripture tells us God is not found in structures built by men.

It does actually, although not exclusively and not in the manner of a purely localized presence.

He is a spirit. We should worship him in the spirit.

He is also fully man by virtue of the incarnation of the Word. As such we can depict Him according to His assumed humanity.

That means the Christian can worship him in the woods behind their house, because as the Bible tells us, all of nature shows us that God is on the throne, that God does exist, so that we are without excuse in thinking no such thing as God exists.

Whereas one can worship God in the woods, as it were, it is proper and fitting to build temples for the worship of the faithful.

And so too per the topic of this thread, can the Christian give God praise in the spirit of the church. Which isn't a structure crafted by men, decorated with gold and graven images, but rather the body of faithful to him; that is the actual church God refers to in scripture.

The Church is the visible, sacramental body of Christ united Eucharistically.

And that means home churches, where that body of faithful commune together in his name, is acceptable to God.
Isaiah 42:8

Acceptable, perhaps, but not desirable. They should I think be avoided owing to the proliferation of cults.

You are free to worship as you see fit. However, please don't tell Christians that because they aren't entering into what you deem your ideal church that they are not entering into a proper house of God otherwise.

It's not a question of my ideal church. My ideal church would have reclining flatbed seats with cupholders and goose down duvets; I would be served foie gras and kir royale while enjoying a splendid liturgy as long as Wagner's entire Ring Cycle.

Rather, its a question of which church is actually the Church described in the New Testament. And house churches with no apostolic succession and no history before the 21st century are not that church.

For there is no scripture that commands the faithful in Christ to erect temples of gold and fill them with graven images for the glory of God.

There is actually. See 1 and 2 Chronicles, for instance.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,271.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no pastors nor teachers that I have found to be in the right here in America.

In other words, no one who is educated, been to Bible school and understands theology agrees with you.
Doesn't that at least make you wonder? Or are you indeed convinced that the whole of America's church leaders and theologians are false and you alone understand the truth?

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
In other words, no one who is educated, been to Bible school and understands theology agrees with you.
Doesn't that at least make you wonder? Or are you indeed convinced that the whole of America's church leaders and theologians are false and you alone understand the truth?

I'm convinced that the scripture is right when Jesus says, many are called, few chosen, and also, narrow is the way to life and few that find it. So it doesn't come as a shock to me that most everyone believes lies. I intend on actually becoming saved, and not living a lie, so I'd much rather believe the truth, and be reproached for it by the majority, than conform to what the majority believe to thus not be labeled as a "heretic", yet end up in the lake of fire no different than an unbeliever.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
They aren't. They are not "graven." Nor are they idols.
You're entitled to think as you wish. However, the scriptures stand as God's word regardless. The word Icon means, "image".

The Church is built by God, and by men in cooperation with God. Individuao temples of the Orthodox Church are built by men to glorify God, and it is fitting they are splendid; just as it was meet that the Magi should honour our saviour with gold, frankincense and myrhh, we likewise honour him with these things in our holy temples consecrated to the proclamation of His Gospel, in which He himself dwells among the faithful and in the Eucharist.
Acts 7:48-51 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, 49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest? 50 Hath not my hand made all these things? 51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

Isaiah 66:1-2 Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? 2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

Acts 17:24-25 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; 25 Neither is worshiped with men's hands, as though he needed anything, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

It does actually, although not exclusively and not in the manner of a purely localized presence.
If it did I'm sure you'd have shared the scripture where it does.

Jeremiah 7:1-14 The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, 2 Stand in the gate of the LORD's house, and proclaim there this word, and say, Hear the word of the LORD, all ye of Judah, that enter in at these gates to worship the LORD. 3 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Amend your ways and your doings, and I will cause you to dwell in this place. 4 Trust ye not in lying words, saying, The temple of the LORD, The temple of the LORD, The temple of the LORD, are these. 5 For if ye throughly amend your ways and your doings; if ye throughly execute judgment between a man and his neighbor; 6 If ye oppress not the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, and shed not innocent blood in this place, neither walk after other gods to your hurt: 7 Then will I cause you to dwell in this place, in the land that I gave to your fathers, forever and ever. 8 Behold, ye trust in lying words, that cannot profit. 9 Will ye steal, murder, and commit adultery, and swear falsely, and burn incense unto Baal, and walk after other gods whom ye know not; 10 And come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, We are delivered to do all these abominations? 11 Is this house, which is called by my name, become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, even I have seen it, saith the LORD. 12 But go ye now unto my place which was in Shiloh, where I set my name at the first, and see what I did to it for the wickedness of my people Israel. 13 And now, because ye have done all these works, saith the LORD, and I spoke unto you, rising up early and speaking, but ye heard not; and I called you, but ye answered not; 14 Therefore will I do unto this house, which is called by my name, wherein ye trust, and unto the place which I gave to you and to your fathers, as I have done to Shiloh.

He is also fully man by virtue of the incarnation of the Word. As such we can depict Him according to His assumed humanity.
You argue that icons are not graven images and then argue this? Share with us the scripture that states exactly what you say there.

Whereas one can worship God in the woods, as it were, it is proper and fitting to build temples for the worship of the faithful.
Walled in gold and bearing graven images and statuary everywhere? Post the scripture that says that so that the churches under discussion are proven to follow those scriptures.

2 Corinthians 6:16-17 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

Ephesians 2:19-22 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto a holy temple in the Lord: 22 In whom ye also are builded together for a habitation of God through the Spirit.

The Church is the visible, sacramental body of Christ united Eucharistically.
In your belief system that's what is taught. But what do the scriptures tell us? Remember that Jesus said, where two or three are gathered in his name there is he also. That is the visible church.

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Acceptable, perhaps, but not desirable. They should I think be avoided owing to the proliferation of cults.
Acceptable unto God is all that matters.

It's not a question of my ideal church. My ideal church would have reclining flatbed seats with cupholders and goose down duvets; I would be served foie gras and kir royale while enjoying a splendid liturgy as long as Wagner's entire Ring Cycle.

Rather, its a question of which church is actually the Church described in the New Testament. And house churches with no apostolic succession and no history before the 21st century are not that church.
Yes, well besides cloaking a condemnation of all here that are not EO, you're wrong.

There is actually. See 1 and 2 Chronicles, for instance.
No, actually. You are speaking to Christians here. Not Jews.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,271.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm convinced that the scripture is right when Jesus says, many are called, few chosen, and also, narrow is the way to life and few that find it. So it doesn't come as a shock to me that most everyone believes lies.

And I'm certain that all those theologians believe Scripture is right too. The thing is that they have studied it and know that, in some cases, it doesn't mean what you, with your lack of theological understanding, say that it means.

I'd rather trust their expertise and study under the Holy Spirit than a lone voice interpreting Scripture in his own way, and then saying "oh well, the road that leads to life is narrow; it's no surprise I'm the only one on it."

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
You're entitled to think as you wish. However, the scriptures stand as God's word regardless. The word Icon means, "image".

No, the Word of God is Jesus Christ (John 1:1). And icons of Him are allowed, as He is an icon of the Father.

Acts 7:48-51 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, 49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest? 50 Hath not my hand made all these things? 51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

Isaiah 66:1-2 Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? 2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

Acts 17:24-25 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; 25 Neither is worshiped with men's hands, as though he needed anything, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

If it did I'm sure you'd have shared the scripture where it does.

Try reading Leviticus.

You argue that icons are not graven images and then argue this? Share with us the scripture that states exactly what you say there.

John 1:1-14

Walled in gold and bearing graven images and statuary everywhere? Post the scripture that says that so that the churches under discussion are proven to follow those scriptures.

There are no graven images or statues in Orthodox parishes.

your belief system that's what is taught. But what do the scriptures tell us? Remember that Jesus said, where two or three are gathered in his name there is he also. That is the visible church.

See 1 Corinthians 10:17, Matthew 16:18, et cetera.

Yes, well besides cloaking a condemnation of all here that are not EO, you're wrong.

Most people here do not contrive to extract from scripture a non-existant condemnation of church buildings.

No, actually. You are speaking to Christians here. Not Jews.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander: the Jewish Temple is a typological antecedent of the incarnation of our Lord; our Christian Temples are iconographic representations of Him. In the future, when we will be united with Him in the world to come, there will be no need for physical temples, just as at present the Eucharist has obviated the need for animal sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Acts 2:46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts,

Acts 20:20
How I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house

Romans 16:5
Greet also the church in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in Asia.

19 Bible Verses about Home Churches

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, the Word of God is Jesus Christ (John 1:1). And icons of Him are allowed, as He is an icon of the Father.
Not a valid scripture in the least to support graven images.

Try reading Leviticus.
You should. But first you should learn what Leviticus is about.

John 1:1-14

There are no graven images or statues in Orthodox parishes.

See 1 Corinthians 10:17, Matthew 16:18, et cetera.

Most people here do not contrive to extract from scripture a non-existant condemnation of church buildings.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander: the Jewish Temple is a typological antecedent of the incarnation of our Lord; our Christian Temples are iconographic representations of Him.
Yes, we've been over that. Graven images of him. Which he forbids.
God is a spirit. God is not a man.
In the future, when we will be united with Him in the world to come, there will be no need for physical temples,
There is no need for temples washed in gold and laden with icons and statuary depicting men and the transient flesh as golden idols.
just as at present the Eucharist has obviated the need for animal sacrifice.
Jesus Christ obviated the need for animal sacrifices when that perfect unblemished lamb bled on the altar that was the cross. The final altar taking his life as the final eternal sacrifice for the worlds sins.
The Eucharist is not Christ.
Jesus said, this is my body, do this in remembrance of me. He did not say this is my body and each time you consume it you're making yet another sacrifice for your sins.

Realizing you're arguing on behalf of EO doctrine there really is nothing more to discuss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Not a valid scripture in the least to support graven images.

It's valid enough for me.

Yes, we've been over that. Graven images of him. Which he forbids.
God is a spirit. God is not a man.

Jesus Christ is God. He is also man. Therefore God assumed the human nature and became a man, and we can depict Him according to His assumed humanity.

We cannot depict the Divine Essence owing to its undounded nature, which defies description.

There is no need for temples washed in gold and laden with icons and statuary depicting men and the transient flesh as golden idols.

There is no statuary, and there are no golden idols, in Orthodox temples.

The Eucharist is not Christ.
Jesus said, this is my body, do this in remembrance of me. He did not say this is my body and each time you consume it you're making yet another sacrifice for your sins.

Reread the Institution Narrative. Reread also John 6.

Realizing you're arguing on behalf of EO doctrine there really is nothing more to discuss.

I am arguing on behalf of all traditional Christians churches, not just the Orthodox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's valid enough for me.
That's fine. That scripture says nothing about creating images.

Jesus Christ is God. He is also man. Therefore God assumed the human nature and became a man, and we can depict Him according to His assumed humanity.

We cannot depict the Divine Essence owing to its undounded nature, which defies description.
I really don't think you realize what you said there. Especially since you defend icons.

There is no statuary, and there are no golden icons, in Orthodox temples
Orthodox Church
Orthodox temple statues icons
I am arguing on behalf of all traditional Christians churches, not just the Orthodox.
I believe you believe this.

The rest is repetitive. You're entitled to your opinion. I think the error is when you think your opinion and your ideal church vision is the only holy temple of God. And especially if you deny house churches are approved.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
That's fine. That scripture says nothing about creating images.

It does, actually. Aside from the OT iconography, humans are created in God's image.

I really don't think you realize what you said there. Especially since you defend icons.

I realize it only too well. God became man that we might become god, becoming through grace what He is by nature. See St. Athanasius (my avatar is an icon of him).

No gold idols, and not one of those statues was in an Orthodox parish! Orthodox icons are regulated by canonical legislation, which prohibits statuary and imposes hard limits on bas-relief.

The rest is repetitive. You're entitled to your opinion. I think the error is when you think your opinion and your ideal church vision is the only holy temple of God.

Its not merely my opinion; it is scripturally based amd scripturally justifiable.
Orthodoxy is the second largest denomination after Rome.

And especially if you deny house churches are approved.

House churches are only a stop
gap, when a congregation cannot afford its own parish or lives in a land of persecution where having a public church is impossible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums