Holy Spirit Baptism

dodad91

Aug 25, 2005
✟7,769.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Greetings ALL,

I'm trying to get some understanding from my sisters and borthers in Christ regarding Baptism of the Holy Spirit. There are several thought provoking discussions that I had with several fellow Christians the last two weeks. This is one of those topics that man has cause to be misinterpreted accross the board. Do anyone have a leading of the Spirit to respond?

Thanks and God BLESS!

Edith

Feb 10, 2005
Greater Vancouver, B.C. Canada
✟7,692.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
doDad91
I would just like to share my experience. I'm not an intellectual, but I feel I have had a valid experience of the infilling of the Holy Spirit.
This was long ago. I knew nothing about what it meant to be a Christian. But God was drawing me and I had come to believe that the way to God was through Jesus. So I was setting out to find out who Jesus was.
I had gone to a different city to visit my sister. My new-found belief was ever in my mind. We went for a walk and passed by a Church with a sign about a youth group meeting there. We went in so I could enquire about it, because I had a lot of questions to ask (and I was a young person then).
There were just a small group of middle-age women who were very nice and answered a few of my questions (nothing deep). They invited me to come back that evening at midnight because they were having some special meetings and they said the Holy Spirit was really moving. I didn't know about the Holy Spirit.
Anyway, I came back, alone, at midnight. First we were in a little room downstairs (not many people). I was uncomfortable and thought I wish we could go upstairs into the Church.
It seems I'd no sooner had that thought, than someone said, "Let's go upstairs in the Church!"
That was the beginning of things that I wished would happen, happened.
The lights were out upstairs and someone lit candles around the Church. There were stained glass windows and it was beautiful.
Some people were walking around "praying in tongues". I'd never heard of that and thought they were foreigners.
(I'm trying to make this as brief as I can.)
Anyway, some people spread out and kneeled in the pews and were praying privately. I did the same. I felt I was going to have an encounter with God.
One young woman came to talk to me. She said she was a missionary and at one time had been alone with 100 children to look after. She said she couldn't have done it without the Holy Spirit. I always remember that.
She said she would go away (she didn't feel I was ready I guess) but if she saw me raising my hands like others were doing, she'd come back.
Well, there's no way I could do that. But someone else came to me. I wished he would go away. And he did. Then I thought, I wish that missionary woman would come back.
And she did. She said something like I see you're not raising your hands but the Holy Spirit directed me to come back to you.
She talked with me; I don't remember the words, but I came to see I was holding on to things and needed to surrender what I loved; what I was holding on to; to God.
I thought of my beloved son (2 years old) and somehow I could release him to God. I knew God's love was there for him.
But where I couldn't let go was my hold on my husband. I was full of fear. My body was shaking.
Suddenly, the missionary woman was still. And then in a loud voice she said, "In the name of Jesus Christ I command this fear to leave her!"
Immediately, the fear was gone. Immediately I could release my hold on my husband.
And simultaneously, God's love was poured into me. I was being filled with love. And something strange, I felt words in my mouth. The missionary woman sensed this and said just to let them come forth. I opened my mouth and spoke in a language I knew not.
That was pretty well it. I didn't stay long. I left, but God's love was in me. It was February in Ontario but there was a lovely warm breeze around me as I walked home.
The next day my sister knew I was different. I was at peace.

I never found out what it all meant until later, when it was explained to me. But I could have gone without the explanation.
"It will come about after this that I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind" JOEL 2:28

"I will put My laws into their minds, and I will write them on their hearts.
And I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
And they shall not teach everyone his fellow citizen, and everyone his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord', for all will know Me.
From the least to the greatest of them,
For I will be merciful to their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more." Hebrews 8:l0-12.

Upvote 0

irenemcg

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
Caught up in the Heavenlies
Visit site
✟24,981.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Read my post on Experiencing the Holy Spirit in this forum, just made today. I hope and pray this helps you on your quest. Submit yourself fully and completely unto the Lord, the power of Pentecost is very much alive today. Ask the Lord to fill you up to overflowing. Submission means repentance too, giving over of yourself to the Lord.

Upvote 0

karen_trustlord

May 7, 2004
✟1,046.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Interesting - in the last few weeks this same thing has come up for me. There is alot of confusion about this topic.

Part of the confusion is that christians interpret and use 'the baptism of the Holy Spirit' phrase to mean more than one thing.

Some believe it refers to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit when one repents and accepts Jesus Christ as Savior - this happens one time.

Some believe this is a 'filling' or 'drinking' in of the Holy Spirit apart from salvation - this occurs more than once - this is a way of walking & keeping in step with the Spirit (Gal 5:22-25).

For some this indwelling & filling happen at the same time with salvation.

For others it is a two stage thing. {my experience}

For me - I knew Jesus and accepted Him as Savior but didn't really know or experience much of the Holy Spirit's power in my life. I would notice this more when I would see christians that seemed more vibrant, more full of life - this would make me feel I was missing something. It led me to actively seek and submit control of my life more fully to the leadings of the Holy Spirit. The more I would submit control - the clearer His leadings became. I also started praying and asking to be filled. This eventually did lead me to a closer walk and better understanding of what I was missing. This doesn't mean I've 'arrived'. The process of being filled is a daily process of dieing to one's self.

I don't know if this makes sense.But if you are questioning this - it may be the Lord drawing you into a closer walk & relationship - follow His lead.

When I felt something missing in my walk with Christ I did the following study. To see what the bible says about this. Hope it helps.
http://www.geocities.com/karen_trustlord/HolySpirit/HSpiritStudy.html

KAren

Upvote 0

mortis

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
✟241.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Republican
I was "baptised" as an infant, but I concider my baptism to be February 14th to be my actual baptism. Holy Baptism is an outward sign of the cleansing that Christ has done inward. Infants can't acccept that because they barely know their hands are attached to their arms.

However it is also the final step for be to be ready to be sanctifyed. Died to myself on the way into the water...and was reborn into the world a new creation in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Reactions: we5frogs
Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I was baptized then I was saved not once but twice in my young & "reckless" teens. Ten & fifteen-years old. But I never, ever felt the peace in my life at all. Until I actually did the right thing. Asked Jesus for His forgiveness of our sins and accepted Him as my Savior & Lord. Then I was baptized because I wanted to wash away all of my sins and come to a real, real personal and saving relationship with Him. I feel peace now more than I ever did.

Upvote 0