Holy Spirit and Tingling Sensation: Is It Wrong to Feel the Burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In discussing it so many have cried demon without too much info which leaves me some big issues. The first of these issues is proving tangibly demons actually exist and are at fault, which to a Christian required to test all things is problematic and a bit too simplistic for my liking. The other bigger issue is no matter what I say once demon has been declared, any objection by me has to be the demon speaking through me which nullifies anything I say because I must be in denial and that’s no help.

You don't think demons are real? Does this include Satan, the devil, too? Do you think he is just a figurative or emblematic character in Scripture? If so, you've got a big challenge on your hands reconciling your skepticism with what the Bible asserts about the reality of the demonic and the devil.

What if what you think is a manifestation of the Spirit of God is actually a counterfeit manifestation of the demonic? How do you distinguish the one from the other? What objective criteria can you use to assess what is genuinely from God and what is a demonic forgery? When I look into Scripture I read no where of the sorts of things that are commonplace at a Benny Hinn show or one of the bizarre NAR/Jesus culture/IHOP events. Hysterical laughing, dropping to the floor in convulsions, crying uncontrollably for no apparent reason, electrical sensations running through one's body - all these are commonplace in eastern mystical religions also. In fact, Kundalini yoga has the exact same physical phenomena as part of its yogic experience. Is the Holy Spirit manifesting in pagan Kundalini cult practitioners? I don't think so.

If you had a demon speaking through you, it would be glaringly evident to every person near you. Now, demons may influence your thinking and feelings and prompt you to certain false beliefs or wrong attitudes and in this way they may "speak" through you, but when a person is possessed of a demon(s) and that demon takes control and speaks through the person, it is very evident this is exactly what is happening. The voice changes in tone, often the possessed person's features contort in astonishing ways, their body many times goes rigid, as well. When you're talking directly to a demon who is not trying to obscure its presence, there is no mistaking that it is a demon talking to you.

In that both events were concurrent the natural assumption by my part would be it was God given. The same could be said of any physical event during that time or even something like a headache. It's nothing to be too concerned about but if you never previously had one confusion abounds.

Concurrence does not prove correlation. Be very careful not to make assumptions about what is and isn't of God. If you're not sure what the source of your experience is, examine it in the light of Scripture. Can you find any instance in the Bible of what you've experienced? Are we urged in Scripture to search for and expect unusual physical sensations as evidence of the presence of God's Spirit? What are we told in the Bible that we can expect from our interaction with the Spirit of God? From all that I've seen in Scripture, your experience does not line up with what we are told in Scripture to expect of the effect of God's Spirit within us. The Holy Spirit convicts us, He illuminates our understanding, He comforts us and strengthens us, and He purifies and transforms us. Gold dust, feathers, fog, chills running up and down your spine, an overwhelming impulse to laugh or cry - none of these things are identified in the Bible as indicators of God's presence and power. These are actually quite pathetic counterfeits of what we see happening in Scripture when God "shows up." Moving pillars of fire and cloud, burning bushes that are not consumed, bodies of water halved and made to stand aside, hails of divine fire from heaven, the ground opening up and swallowing the wicked, and so on - these make the special effects of the NAR movement and the silly "supernatural" antics of Hinn and his ilk ridiculous, childish and sad. It boggles my mind that such impotent and cartoonish "evidences" of God's Spirit at work are so easily embraced by so many professing believers.

Selah.

Last edited:
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?
It sounds like peripheral neuropathy (i.e. nerve damage- a common cause being diabetes). It could also be caused by a systemic disease, a vitamin deficiency, or an infection. I'd look into medical concerns here.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What if what you think is a manifestation of the Spirit of God is actually a counterfeit manifestation of the demonic? How do you distinguish the one from the other? What objective criteria can you use to assess what is genuinely from God and what is a demonic forgery?
Objective criteria? Really?

Where in scripture does GOD establish "objective criteria" as the benchmark?

You listen to HIS voice to tell you the false from the real. It is called discernment.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you had a demon speaking through you, it would be glaringly evident to every person near you. Now, demons may influence your thinking and feelings and prompt you to certain false beliefs or wrong attitudes and in this way they may "speak" through you, but when a person is possessed of a demon(s) and that demon takes control and speaks through the person, it is very evident this is exactly what is happening. The voice changes in tone, often the possessed person's features contort in astonishing ways, their body many times goes rigid, as well. When you're talking directly to a demon who is not trying to obscure its presence, there is no mistaking that it is a demon talking to you.
That happens SOMETIMES. Not always. Sometimes it sounds EXACTLY like the host.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ben there done that with the deliverance minister and nothing changed a couple of times. That was fruitless.
A few questions come to mind. (I am not asking you for answers)

1 - was there really a demon there in the first place?
2 - did the demon actually leave? (assuming #1 was "yes")
3 - did the demon come back? (assuming #2 was "yes")

No one can answer those questions without the gift of discerning of spirits. Too many so-called "exorcists" or "deliverance ministers" do not have that gift and therefore are not truly qualified to do the job.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have only felt that once while at my home church here in town. I believe it was just one of my regular 'get itchy all over' type of dilemmas, though. So no.

Through my personal study of the Bible and what I've seen of these holy spirit manifestation churches, the Holy Spirit does not usually display Himself through physical feelings. Yes, I feel His peace through Scripture reading. I feel an eye-opening when reading Bible study books that give me new insight to a formerly glossed over passage. I believe all of that is the Holy Spirit being my teacher.

Be hasty to doubt physical manifestations.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Objective criteria? Really?

Where in scripture does GOD establish "objective criteria" as the benchmark?

You listen to HIS voice to tell you the false from the real. It is called discernment.

No, it is called a recipe for deception and disaster.

Anyone can claim God is speaking to them. Crazy people do this frequently. Muhammed the prophet of Islam, Jim Jones, Sun Myung Moon, Joseph Smith, David Koresh and many others also claimed they had a "word from God." If it is just a subjective inner knowing that is the basis for establishing that God has spoken, then who gets to say whose inner knowing, whose "discernment," is more true than the next person's? Each may say, "I only am properly discerning God's voice." And in the absence of some objective standard by which to judge, no one can say, "You're mistaken."

Where in Scripture does God establish objective criteria by which to ascertain His hand and voice? Well, in the OT if a prophet falsely prophesied, he was put to death. And he was known to be false if his prophecy did not come to pass. It wasn't enough for an OT prophet to claim to have heard from God and to be speaking for Him. He had to produce objective proof of the truth of his prophecy. If he did not, he was in very serious trouble.

The apostles had miraculous deeds to establish their authority as speakers for God. Not the ridiculous and false "healings" so common in so many ministries and churches today but genuine, regular, instant and complete healing of withered limbs, congenital defects, demon possession, insanity, and serious disease.

What about today? How do we know who is and isn't of God? Well, we simply look to the Bible to make that call. If someone makes a claim about God or about how a Christian ought to think or behave and that claim does not line up with the record and teaching of Scripture, then it is to be rejected. Do we find a command in Scripture to seek after tingling limbs, or electric sensations, or hysterical laughing and crying? No. Do we see such things happening as a matter of course among the believers in Acts as they do in various modern ministries and churches? No. What, then, do we make of these experiences? Clearly, insofar as they are neither commanded in Scripture nor occur in it, these things are not of God.

Selah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?

Is there some advice that you were seeking?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where in Scripture does God establish objective criteria by which to ascertain His hand and voice?
Derek Prince published a booklet on doing just that. Here is an outline of that teaching:

Nine Steps in Judging Prophecy
From “How to Judge Prophecy” by Derek Prince © 1971

1) The end purpose of all true prophecy is to build up, to admonish and to encourage the people of God
1 Corinthians 14:3, 2 Corinthians 10:8, 13:10 - authority is given to build up, not tear down.

a) Edification - to build up
b) Exhortation - admonition, stirs up
c) Comfort - encouragement, lifts up

2) All true prophecy always agrees with the letter and the Spirit of scripture.

2 Timothy 3:16 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God.”

3) All true prophecy centers in Jesus Christ it, exalts and glorifies Him alone.

a) John 16:13-14 “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.”
b) Revelation 19:10 “At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

4) True prophecy produces fruit in character and conduct that agrees with the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

a) Matthew 7:15-16 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but
b) inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick
c) grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?”
d) Romans 14:17 “The kingdom of God is.... righteousness, peace and joy int eh Holy Spirit.”
i) Read the following scriptures: Ephesians 5:9; Galatians 5:22-23

5) If a prophetic revelation contains predications concerning the future, are these prediction

a) fulfilled? If not ,the revelation does not come from the Holy Spirit Deuteronomy
b) 18:20-22 OT prophets were stoned to death if the prophecy did not come to pass.

6) Even correct predictions are not proof, if the prophecy draws others away from obedience. Read Deuteronomy 13:1-5; Acts 8:9-11, 16:16-18

7) True prophecy given by the Holy Spirit produces liberty not bondage.

a) Romans 8:15 warns against the “spirit of bondage”
b) 1Corinthians 14:33 God is not the author of confusion
c) 2 Timothy 1:7 God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love and of sound mind.
d) Be discerning about “directive” prophecy of spiritual dictators: Matthew 23:8 “But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers.”

8) True prophecy given by the Holy Spirit produces life, not death.
2 Corinthians 3:6 “He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the
letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.”

9) True prophecy is attested by the Holy Spirit within each believer who hears it
1 John 2:27 “..The anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need
anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing
is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.”

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have, but that was when i still was a new ager, into meditation and lucid dreaming.
It seems it's a / the Kundalini spirit that causes it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heaven's Child

Sep 15, 2016
california
✟18,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Please beware that some spirits masquerade as the Holy Spirit.
I used to be involved with Reiki, which is an occult new age laying on of hands form of healing and did give me this tingling sensations after I went in for a session, and had symbols placed on my body.
I have renounced it now knowing it is of God, sometimes I still sometimes get the sensations in my hands but I trust that God has removed that power from me, and just go by his Word in all things now.

What exactly is this new age form of laying on of hands? I keep hearing about this.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What exactly is this new age form of laying on of hands? I keep hearing about this.
Its called reiki.
Its supposed to be secret to the people that have it thats why its occult. Many ppl in the massage business or health and wellness get intitiated into it. Its not of God. Well not the God of the Bible.

The kindalini spirit is occult power too.

Upvote 0

Heaven's Child

Sep 15, 2016
california
✟18,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In the New Testament there are no accounts of the strange phenomena being discussed or mentioned. God's house is a house of order! That is plainly stated in the New Testament.

There are legitimate gifts of his spirit however, but their are rules associated with those gifts that are not open for broad interpretation of those with an agenda that works against God's true intention.

Galatians mentions the fruits of God's spirit.....evidence if the operation or presence of God is real or imitation. First and foremost indicator should be that of peace within the people affected. Strange unnatural sensations? Really? Sound like that is from God? Is their edification for the body there? Does any part of a religeous practice or doctrine violate the teachings of the Bible?

If there is a true noticeable sense of peace and tranquilty that defies the circumstances....???? Everbody calm....everthing in order? Sense of love, humility, foregivness, willing to help, etc? Might be proof of the real God's presence/hand.

But on the other hand.....is there something that raises questions and doubts? Things that are very similar to pagan rituals and practices? You might want to pray for guidance and wisdom from the Creator.

Remember that Old Testament verse about "the Still Small Voice" ?????
In the New Testament there are no accounts of the strange phenomena being discussed or mentioned. God's house is a house of order! That is plainly stated in the New Testament.

There are legitimate gifts of his spirit however, but their are rules associated with those gifts that are not open for broad interpretation of those with an agenda that works against God's true intention.

Galatians mentions the fruits of God's spirit.....evidence if the operation or presence of God is real or imitation. First and foremost indicator should be that of peace within the people affected. Strange unnatural sensations? Really? Sound like that is from God? Is their edification for the body there? Does any part of a religeous practice or doctrine violate the teachings of the Bible?

If there is a true noticeable sense of peace and tranquilty that defies the circumstances....???? Everbody calm....everthing in order? Sense of love, humility, foregivness, willing to help, etc? Might be proof of the real God's presence/hand.

But on the other hand.....is there something that raises questions and doubts? Things that are very similar to pagan rituals and practices? You might want to pray for guidance and wisdom from the Creator.

Remember that Old Testament verse about "the Still Small Voice" ?????
I have to say that I too have experienced these things. When Holy Spirit is high on you, you will experience these things. I don't believe it is wise to put God in a box and to say that "there are no accounts of the strange phenomena being discussed or mentioned" in the New Testament. What God does, surpasses our understanding. To the natural man, everything that the Holy Spirit does is strange. Too, we can not limit God to our own personal experiences and need to be careful about judging things that we can not understand. Paul's experience of being "caught up to the third heaven" is one that many have not experience either, but it happened.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are things that we do understand though and what we dont we need to test the spirits to see if they are of God, not automatically assume that everything spiritual is Godly.

Eg on day of pentecost outsiders thought they were drunk when they started speaking in tongues as it was strange to them. But Peter put them right. He even declared what it was. And there were interpreters.

Upvote 0

Heaven's Child

Sep 15, 2016
california
✟18,139.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There are things that we do understand though and what we dont we need to test the spirits to see if they are of God, not automatically assume that everything spiritual is Godly.
I agree with that as well! We must have balance.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.