Holy Spirit and Tingling Sensation: Is It Wrong to Feel the Burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?

don't panic, but electric currents, tingling sensations and burning may rather turn out to be symptoms more typical in cases of (an) impact of evil spirit(s)/force(s) - i know this from experience, because the Holy Spirit that has lived in me for the last decades was always very fine and graceful without ever being uncomfortably or unpleasantly perceptible, but the devilish spirits that tried to affect me at least sometimes caused me to feel formication, numbness, discomfort, weight, pressure, electric current, heat, burning, pain and other sensations at/in certain body locations/parts - be careful, more important is whether the worshiper is righteous than whether they feel sensations, moreover, the Holy Spirit usually cannot be felt as any sensation except some sense of liberation, but not (of) a strange loss of sense of life

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tickingclocker

Mar 11, 2016
US
✟22,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Enjoy those moments thoroughly! But know that it is not the feeling that you are to strive for, it is the face of God.

I would further clarify the above with a caution of, what is the purpose of the Spirit? To draw us closer to GOD, not to explore our feelings. We believe God by FACT that He does exist. Not because we feel He exists.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would further clarify the above with a caution of, what is the purpose of the Spirit? To draw us closer to GOD, not to explore our feelings. We believe God by FACT that He does exist. Not because we feel He exists.
Yes, God is the Creator; we are the Created; while man-centred thinking puts man at the centre, obviously. The wonder is that God sent His beloved Son to be the Savior of sinners whose thoughts were and are naturally away from Him completely.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone ever experienced after conversion, prayer time or spirit baptism a sensation of tingling in fingers or hands? Have you ever felt burning in palms or conscious of something like electric currents in your body?

Yes.

Satan can try to pull that stuff on us too, so I don't pay much attention to it. I'm not afraid of it, though, and it has happened by God to me a few times.

I was anointed with a prophet's healing anointing from his ministry once, and when that was on me, I could feel it thick. Like wearing a spiritual blanket over yourself. And when I laid hands on someone to heal them with it, it was burning.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

No. And I have been a disciple of Christ for over forty years. What you describe is consistent with certain neurological diseases...

How does one prove that such sensations are truly from God? There isn't a single verse in all of Scripture that talks about the things you've described as being from God or as something we should expect or crave as disciples of Christ. The Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, etc, not tingles and zings of electricity. The mark of the Holy Spirit within is the peaceable fruit of righteousness, it is holiness, it is the character of Christ revealed in us, not odd sensations and feelings.

No where are believers urged in Scripture to pursue or expect what you describe. And when believers do, it is very easy for them to make these feelings and sensations the "proof" of the reality and depth of their relationship with God rather than the things God's word explicitly define as the fruit of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Personally, I suspect that the sorts of sensations you sometimes experience are more a creation of your own mind than anything emanating from God. It is amazing the power the mind has over the body for good or ill. Certainly, manufacturing the sorts of things you mentioned is not at all uncommon among hypochondriacs, for example.

Be very careful not to ascribe to God what is really just the product of your own mind.

Selah.

Upvote 0

PattyHarden

Jun 4, 2016
San Diego
✟7,727.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, what you are describing is the exact same thing that happens to me. i knew it was directly related to the Holy Spirit cause it begins to occur when I I am in serious prayer. I often pray with my hands upraised and the middle of my palms definitely get warm and there are strange little tingly sensations on my fingers, sometimes my feet. but also another thing that happens in some of my deeper prayers my breathing changes very deep and my lower belly begins to expand/contract.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This thread was started in 2012. I've read the posts. I am amazed / dismayed by the responses, 99% of which have no Spiritual basis. How do we wander so very, very far from knowing His Presence? The wonder of it all right now causes my head to bow, my shoulders to utterly relax, and my mouth to open to praise Him.

Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,316.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I wouldn't put too much stock in these "sensations". I get them too, although they usually start in the head, and work down.

But I just put them on the back burner, as they can also be from the demonic realm. The problem with this sort of "sensation" is that if you put too much trust in it, it can eventually lead you astray.

I'd just accept these "tingles" as part of your Christian experience one way or another, and not read too much into them.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You guys must be bored finding this old thread. I forgot about it until an email came saying its active. I still don't talk about it to anyone anymore and keep it to myself mostly.
lol I didn't even realize it was a "zombie" thread. I wonder why so many keep reviving these.

Reactions: Spiritlight
Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regarding all this and the outcome of years being this way, what I have found is this.

Some people make it their life’s spiritual goal to walk down the path of the occult to open their third eye and experience the events involved in that, now having accidentally had similar happen to me while pursuing Christianity fervently I can’t understand the attraction as it is such a useless thing. Baptism of the holy spirit is a million times better and more useful. That is what I would recommend anyone wanting a memorable spiritual encounter.

So far trying to find help has been fruitless unless an empathetic shrink and a couple of open minded pastors willing to listen counts and sadly trying to find help led me to forums where I ended up more confused than if I didn’t.

In discussing it so many have cried demon without too much info which leaves me some big issues. The first of these issues is proving tangibly demons actually exist and are at fault, which to a Christian required to test all things is problematic and a bit too simplistic for my liking. The other bigger issue is no matter what I say once demon has been declared, any objection by me has to be the demon speaking through me which nullifies anything I say because I must be in denial and that’s no help.

In my inability to find similar Christians except a couple of rare cases this leaves me with the probability of neurological manifestations as others mentioned, and I could go along with that. Our brain can do weird stuff beyond the standard 5 senses and that has been proven by science and anecdotal evidence. This is what I think might have happened in a time of prayer accidentally. I might have got a glimpse into some of the other things your brain can do and it took a meditative state of prayer over a few weeks to happen. In that both events were concurrent the natural assumption by my part would be it was God given. The same could be said of any physical event during that time or even something like a headache. It's nothing to be too concerned about but if you never previously had one confusion abounds.

I would like to thank the kind people who have tried to help in my time here as it has been quite a confusing thing. I hope my talking about it helps anyone else with a similar issue anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jenniferdiana

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I took saying nerves as in apprehension or nervousness. If I was nervous about anything its that right now.
Aww...Yea I know what you mean but everything is in God's hand..he has his plans...

Reactions: Spiritlight
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I just put them on the back burner, as they can also be from the demonic realm. The problem with this sort of "sensation" is that if you put too much trust in it, it can eventually lead you astray.
So by understanding that the devil can fake something, you throw out the real?

Where is your discernment?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.