Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston is headed by Metropolitan Ephraim and is over the Holy Transfiguration Monastery (bostonmonks.com).

I know that many of us, including myself, use works published by them (prayer books, translations, and hagioraphies). From what I understand they are a schismatic, old calendarist group.

What are your thoughts on this group and would it be beneficial to read any of the writings of Metropolitan Ephraim?

searn77

Orthodox Christian - TOC
Jan 20, 2013
✟96,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For the record, even us Old Calendarists stay away from HOCNA due to their beliefs in name-worshipping & choosing repentance after death, teachings which are found in their Metropolitan Ephraim's articles. Having said that, besides the articles which condone those beliefs, I have found his articles to be of great value. And I regularly use their translation of the psalms, a translation that many New Calendarists & Old Calendarists use alike

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
For the record, even us Old Calendarists stay away from HOCNA due to their beliefs in name-worshipping & choosing repentance after death, teachings which are found in their Metropolitan Ephraim's articles. Having said that, besides the articles which condone those beliefs, I have found his articles to be of great value. And I regularly use their translation of the psalms, a translation that many New Calendarists & Old Calendarists use alike

Why is it that so many of the odd schismatic groups are old calendarists?

Although I have only belonged to Orthodox churches who adhere to the new calendar, I am very sympathetic to old calendarists and personally prefer the old calendar.

This is one of the reasons why I like St. Nicholas Planas so much; he had to perform his duties according to the new calendar but at night would hold services according to the old calendar in little country parishes because he believed in the use of the old calendar and was so used to it.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Although I have only belonged to Orthodox churches who adhere to the new calendar, I am very sympathetic to old calendarists and personally prefer the old calendar.

they do what has always been done, they make a dogma out of something that was never a dogma. St Paul was not on the Old Calendar.

and for the record, I prefer the Old too.

Upvote 0

searn77

Orthodox Christian - TOC
Jan 20, 2013
✟96,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

This is one of the reasons why I like St. Nicholas Planas so much; he had to perform his duties according to the new calendar but at night would hold services according to the old calendar in little country parishes because he believed in the use of the old calendar and was so used to it.

To be clear, when I said I am an Old Calendarist, I meant that I adhere to the Orthodox faith and I am not in communion with the Patriarchates of Constantinople, Moscow, etc. because of my faith and the heresy of Ecumenism. I'm not saying this to start on a debate on the topic of calendars or Ecumenism, but rather just to show you where I'm coming from. When people generally use the term "Old Calendarist" (which was originally used as a derogatory term) it is to mean those Orthodox Christians who celebrate according to the Julian calendar and who are not in communion with the World Orthodox Patriarchates because of Ecumenism.

Knowing that, in regards to HOCNA, you can look up their history online to see what makes them especially "odd and schismatic" according to us Old Calendarists which had to do with the reasons why they left ROCOR and were accepted into the Old Calendarist Church of Greece under Archbishop Auxentios of blessed memory. While Archbishop Auxentios is widely regarded as a saintly man, he is also known of making a few mistakes as archbishop, one of which was bringing the "HOCNA" parishes into the Greek Old Calendarist synod.

But with the more recent heretical proclamations of HOCNA of name-worshipping and the "Awake, Sleepers" articles by Metropolitan Ephraim, HOCNA has lost probably around 2/3rd of its faithful, including monastics and priests. I know about half of the monks from the HOCNA Holy Transfiguration Monastery have left and moved to Holy Ascension Monastery near Woodstock which is in a different Greek Old Calendarist synod under Archbishop Kallinikos.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
To be clear, when I said I am an Old Calendarist, I meant that I adhere to the Orthodox faith and I am not in communion with the Patriarchates of Constantinople, Moscow, etc. because of my faith and the heresy of Ecumenism. I'm not saying this to start on a debate on the topic of calendars or Ecumenism, but rather just to show you where I'm coming from. When people generally use the term "Old Calendarist" (which was originally used as a derogatory term) it is to mean those Orthodox Christians who celebrate according to the Julian calendar and who are not in communion with the World Orthodox Patriarchates because of Ecumenism.

Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Theres more of an awareness of them because of their publishing books and articles and there are many sympathetic to their concerns. There are "New calendar" schismatics as well, such as that charismatic priest who heads a parish in Florida, a thriving parish ( last I checked) in woodside Queens who claims to have a few other churches under them etc. These schismatics aren't taken seriously though.

Upvote 0