Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'll I'm doing is addressing what you say. Here's what you said:

So, it seems that you are saying that self-control is necessary to be holy and not worldly. So, s self- control something you can muster within yourself, or is it a gift from God?

Well if you have no self control, how can you be holy? Doesn't the word "self" in "self-control" imply that it is something that you do? Did God give you the ability to control yourself or do you lose all self control when you look at a beautiful woman and then follow her into a bar hoping for a chance to dance with her, and in that lack of self-control are you being holy and worldly but not legalistic so it's ok? I'm trying to understand what you are saying and trying to keep you in focus so your posts are related to the OP, and not trying to take the discussion away from the topic of the thread.

Now do you see the contrast between being holy and being worldly, or do you still think that to exercise self-control is a form of legalism and trying to be legalistic is being worldly and unholy so we are excused from being holy because we are sinners who cannot be blamed for not exercising self-control? Am I understanding you correctly now? This thread is not about excuses for being unholy, it is about the contrast between being holy and being worldly. God commands us to be holy, He does not say "you can't be holy so relax and don't worry about it because you are under grace and not law". That kind of belief leads to worldly behavior being excused as OK for us because our sins are forgiven. Are you with me now? Are we understanding each other now or am I misunderstanding you?

The thread is about the contrast between worldliness and holiness. If you have no self control, you are NOT going to be holy. If you will not be holy, you will not be holy. If you will be holy, you will be holy after you get saved and Jesus Christ lives in you by His Holy Spirit giving you a new life and a new desire to be holy like He is holy. Every man who has this hope in him purifies himself as Christ is pure. We are not there yet, and God wants us to be holy and press toward the mark of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Do you recognize the scripture quotes in the last two sentences? Do you know which books they are from?

Let me refer you again to I Pet 1:13-17.

Can you copy and paste I Pet 1:13-17 and talk about how "fashioning ourselves according to the former lusts in our ignorance" like a sinner who is hell-bound might be in fashion when he dresses for disco dancing and goes into bars to flirt with women of the world?

Can you talk about how doing the things Peter advises us to do is a way to be holy?

or are you trying to say Peter is teaching legalism and trying to be holy as we are commanded to be holy is a form of legalism which is actually "worldly", which you said more than once in a quite incoherent fashion, trying to steer the thread into a discussion not related to the OP.

It would be nice if you would discuss the topic of the thread and not make me do all of the talking about it as you try to take in in a direction not related to the OP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Amen.

Fundamental core teaching of The Gospel.

Then we move to Chapter 3:

Galatians: 3. 1. O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2. This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3. Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4. Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. 5. He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 6. Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7. Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8. And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. 10. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 12. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. 13. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

We know that Paul had to reinforce the understanding of the free gift of Salvation.

Gnostic Jews would teach the works of the law,undoing God's gift of Grace [UN Merited Favor] through
Christ Jesus.

It is not that as Christians we through Grace can live like the World.

We do not seek worldly thoughts, our minds have be renewed.

Yes Christians can sin,what do we do?

Confess it,quit it,forget it.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Paul preached grace to such an extent that he was accused of antinomianism. His reply?

Romans 5:20-21 Romans 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Everything we do and say should glorify God, not because we have to under obligation. But because we get to joyfully.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The thread is about the contrast of the behavior of Moses as he showed holiness in his life and the behavior of people, in Exodus 32, who showed unholiness in their lives. The contrast in those behaviors is the topic of this thread.

A similar example would be the Ducks of Disneyland and television and movies, all of which...Donald, Daisy, Daffy, Howard, The Mighty Ducks...all of them being worldly ducks with NO holiness in their lives because they were all about living for and in the temporal. A Christian who practices holiness has a drive in his or her life to move toward the things of God, unlike worldly ducks who can never be satisfied in their worldly pursuits and indulgences.

If you cannot discuss behaviors that are unholy VS behaviors that are worldly, you should not be posting in this thread.

There is a difference between music of the world, like the Israelites in Exodus 32 were dancing to as they disrobed and feasted, and music which is holy, consecrated, dedicated to glorifying and honoring God. The contrast between those two types of music, worldly and holy, is the topic of this thread.

If you think this thread is about legalism or grace, you are mistaken. If you want to discuss legalism VS grace, please do that in a different thread.

There is a difference between worldly apparel and dressing in a way to please the Lord. Worldly fashions today generally emphasize sexuality with revealing cuts, color patterns which draw attention to certain body parts, and tight fits which reveal every curve, bump, and contour on the body. The Bible teaches that our apparel should be modest. To dress modestly would be to practice holiness in this area. To adorn ourselves with fashion which emphasize the lusts of the world is the worldly way to dress.

Holiness is being consecrated to God which will be a line of separation from the world....consecrated to God who is holy, a choice to be obedient, willfully serving God, desiring to do only things that please Him, and not doing what He says not to do and not going along with the flow of the world which promotes and lures through the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. It is because of the pride of life that people don't want anybody telling them what the Bible says about how to act, and because of that pride this BIBLICAL teaching on holiness if rejected as a form of legalism. Willful obedience to God, yielding to Him in our words, thoughts, and actions is holiness. You can't be yielded to God when you are yielding your eyes and imaginations to amusements and entertainments such as R or X rated movies which are about everything except Jesus Christ and you can't be yielded to God when you are singing ungodly songs or tapping your toes to the music of the world with honors and glorifies everything and anything except Jesus Christ.

When He guides our words, thoughts, and actions, the result is holiness.
If we do not wilfully yield to Him in obedience to Him doing what He says to do and not doing what He says not to do at any moment, we are being worldly in behavior at that moment. When we do whatever we feel like doing and those things are not consecrated to God in desire of honoring Him in every moment of our lives, those things are going to be temporal and worldly and ungodly.

I like to fish, I like to hike. I engage in those activities starting with a prayer that those times be sanctified as refreshments while I remove myself from the trials of life. I do not get half naked while I fish because I want to be holy while I'm fishing and not have women (or homosexuals) gawking at my body.
I want to be holy, not worldly. The way of the world is to get naked, show it off, brag about it, enjoy it like the children of Israel in Exodus 32 were doing.

I like to play chess, but that easily becomes addictive and takes up too much of my time so I removed it from my computer and consecrated my computer to the Lord for His service..for me to learn of Him through research and through people I talk with or for me to be used by God so He can minister to other people.

To me, chess lost is aspect of consecration as recreation because the focus became self centered. I didn't care if my opponent was going to burn in Hell, I only cared about winning the game and I had to give it up in my desire to follow holiness. Without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. You can't be worldly and holy at the same time. There is a CONTRAST in holiness and worldliness, and it shows in the different places Christians go, the different things they do, the different desires they have, and the different things they say.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Elizabethinhatcroppedcloser.jpg

MOD HAT ON

This thread has undergone some cleanup, but regardless, it will stay closed.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.