Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,418.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally, I'm holding Trump to his pledges not to cut Social Security and Medicare and his promise that people's medical insurance would be better.

After all, if he can't honor his commitments to the already born, he ain't really pro-life.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my experience, in the UK, holding politicians to their pledges is a tricky thing to do.
Politicians and pledges are always tricky once they get their first foot in office.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Democrats are the only ones who are trying to block Trump from keeping his Pro-Life pledges. His strong Pro-Life stand is the reason why they are so extremely opposed to him.
I'm not opposed to Trump because of any perceived pro life stand. I'm primarily opposed to Trump because of his anti environment stand. His anti NATO stand is another concern, as is his anti public education stand.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not opposed to Trump because of any perceived pro life stand. I'm primarily opposed to Trump because of his anti environment stand. His anti NATO stand is another concern, as is his anti public education stand.

But it's so much easier to spin falsehoods like that people who oppose Obama must be racists or people who oppose Trump love abortion than it is to focus on the very real reasons that people take pause with them. Here, we'll just put you into this group over here so we can conveniently ignore your concerns. Welcome to 2017:). Decency, charity, whole truth and education are rather out of fashion. Still, I'm confident that people like you and I can bring them back.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Considering some of the pacifistic things you've said, I'm surprised you would oppose anti-NATO rhetoric.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,418.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Fact:
The organization constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its member states agree to mutual defence in response to an attack by any external party.

Unless NATO countries are attacked (and several have been cyber-attacked this year by Russia, with disastrous results) NATO is a peaceable organization. Unfortunately, due to Russia's boots-on-the-ground aggression in the Ukraine and Crimea and their cyber-aggression against the U.S., Britain, and other countries, NATO is more necessary than ever.

NATO - Wikipedia

• Agree
Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think NATO helps preserve peace.

Indeed. NATO is the only reason that Latvians and Poles are free today. Minus NATO, the Soviet Union would have followed through with their plans to take over Europe or in the case of Russia again surround themselves with throwaway buffer states. NATO is by nature defensive, much as our proposed ballistic missile shields are. Be very wary when your adversary complains that your overtly defensive systems are too robust.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's the anecdotal logical fallacy. Even if that's true for you it's not true for the Democratic party which, as a whole and in their national platform, is extremely Pro-Abortion and which has obsessively grilled Trump's cabinet nominations, trying to talk them into agreeing with abortion.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fact:

Unless NATO countries are attacked (and several have been cyber-attacked this year by Russia, with disastrous results) NATO is a peaceable organization. Unfortunately, due to Russia's boots-on-the-ground aggression in the Ukraine and Crimea and their cyber-aggression against the U.S., Britain, and other countries, NATO is more necessary than ever.

NATO - Wikipedia
Because they've been so successful in that aggression and cyber attacks?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That's the anecdotal logical fallacy. Even if that's true for you it's not true for the Democratic party which, as a whole and in their national platform, is extremely Pro-Abortion and which has obsessively grilled Trump's cabinet nominations, trying to talk them into agreeing with abortion.
They've grilled his cabinet positions on all sorts of critical issues, from climate change, ties with Russia, sketchy investments, whether disabled students have a right to education, if Putin is a war criminal, etc..
I don't think abortion is at the heart of any of these questions. ..my guess is because Trump, like many other politicians on the right, know abortion brings reluctant Republicans into the tent, who, if abortion was ever legalized, would be free to vote Democrat.
My mother for instance, will vote for a pro life Republican even if she agrees with the opposition candidate on every other issue, because she feels it is her duty. If a Republican president and Congress outlawed abortion. it would free her up to vote on other issues. So I suspect they won't. ..when Bush had a majority, nothing happened.
And now, at the end of Obama's presidency, we have hit a new low in abortions, that's positive news.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They've grilled his cabinet positions on all sorts of critical issues, from climate change, ties with Russia, sketchy investments, whether disabled students have a right to education, if Putin is a war criminal, etc..
I don't think abortion is at the heart of any of these questions. ..my guess is because Trump, like many other politicians on the right, know abortion brings reluctant Republicans into the tent, who, if abortion was ever legalized, would be free to vote Democrat. My mother for instance, will vote for a pro life Republican even if she agrees with the opposition candidate on every other issue, because she feels it us her duty. If a Republican president and Congress outlawed abortion. it would free her up to vote on other issues. So I suspect they won't. ..when Bush had a majority, nothing happened.
And now, at the end of Obama's presidency, we have hit a new low in abortions, sie positive news.

Your patient example and nuanced positions are a breath of fresh air in the face of overtly errant, simplistic statements. I know you're not sure what you believe, but you're a shining example to Christians of what they should strive to be. Thank you for being a decent human being.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Fact:

NATO - Wikipedia

Every war is ultimately a defensive act. If the aggressor had his way he would be able to accomplish his goals without armed resistance. For example, if the aggressor wants territory, and those living there do not resist when he occupies it, so much the better for the aggressor. It's the defender who makes the conflict violent.

In this way, even purely defensive alliances can lead to larger scale conflicts. In fact, this is how we ended up with World War I. No power in that war wanted to pay the cost in blood and steel that they did in that war, and would not have entered into such a large scale conflict if they were not obligated to.

Now, that's not to say that defensive alliances have no purpose. They can, in the right circumstances, make aggression too costly for most nations to consider. And, if aggression is inevitable, they can help guarantee the safety of those in the alliance. But it's naive to think that they are purely peaceful things.

• Agree
Reactions: football5680
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think abortion is at the heart of any of these questions. ..my guess is because Trump, like many other politicians on the right, know abortion brings reluctant Republicans into the tent, who, if abortion was ever legalized, would be free to vote Democrat.
My mother for instance, will vote for a pro life Republican even if she agrees with the opposition candidate on every other issue, because she feels it is her duty. If a Republican president and Congress outlawed abortion. it would free her up to vote on other issues. So I suspect they won't. ..when Bush had a majority, nothing happened.
And now, at the end of Obama's presidency, we have hit a new low in abortions, that's positive news.
Democrats mentioned other things but not as much as abortion.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Democrats mentioned other things but not as much as abortion.
I don't think we were listening to the same confirmation hearings. Which ones are you referring to that were abortion focused?

Upvote 0