whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The paper in American Naturalist may have been more of a review paper that described her earlier work instead of a primary research paper. Nonetheless, it is still a publication.
yes, reprints are publications.
reprints can be published 50 years ago and still be publications.
barbara did not submit these at the time, she submitted them before.
Keller could have looked at her CV, which is what a responsible writer would have done. Or perhaps Keller was just exaggerating, as I suggest above.
or keller could have asked barbara.
you need to take this sort of thing up with keller.
More importantly, did McClintock nearly stop being published because journals refused to publish it, or was it because she refused to submit papers for review?
apparently she stopped publication because of the sceptical reaction to them.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

or keller could have asked barbara.

He's got evidence the contrary. It's on Keller to take it up with him.

Skepticism is the appropriate response to new developments. I think you mean widespread rejection?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

What was it reprinted from?

Submitted to whom?

You are the one making the argument, so I will continue to take it up with you.

You mean she stopped submitting her research for publication because people were skeptical of it?

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
sorry, i'm in no position to call barbaras biographer a liar.

I'm not calling them a liar. I'm saying that they were wrong. And I (and you, and Loudmouth, and Not_By_Chance, and Kent Hovind, and everyone else) is in the position to say that they were wrong. Because they were wrong. It doesn't matter who says it. It doesn't matter if it was McClintock's biographer, McClintock's mother, McClintock herself, or the magical truth fairy who cannot tell a lie making the claim - it's wrong. Blindly accepting authorities when the contradictory evidence is staring you in the face is just a really bad idea.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
honestly, this type of charade doesn't surprise me at all in regards to evolution.

I am quite happy with the evidence that has been presented. Is there another topic you would like to address? I don't know about you, but I would prefer to discuss some real science instead of complaints.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
honestly, this type of charade doesn't surprise me at all in regards to evolution.
I understand, but in this particular case, I think we have enough clues to show, it is just outright denial and confirmation bias, to protect a position the poster has.

Point taken.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What charade? You cited a source. We showed you that that source was demonstrably wrong. You continued to use that source. I mean, maybe that qualifies as a charade? Help me out here, I've got nothing to work with.

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Given McClintock's previous publication record, it isn't too much of an exaggeration to say that she stopped publishing.
thanks for the confirmation.
It is also worth mentioning that she nearly stopped submitting papers for publication. It wasn't that the journals refused to publish them. Rather, she didn't send papers for review or publication.
yes, correct.
she stopped submitting them
In the case of McClintock, it was a self imposed exile from the peer reviewed literature.
again correct, and it was because of the scepticism she received.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
thanks for the confirmation.

Confirmation that your source exaggerated a bit?

yes, correct.
she stopped submitting them

again correct, and it was because of the scepticism she received.

I find this to be interesting. You are saying that scientists should be very skeptical of the Modern Synthesis and not accept it on face value simply because of what is written in a book.

On the flip side, you are saying that scientists should not have been skeptical of McClintock's work and accepted it on face value. All the while, you are accepting what is written in a biography despite the facts in hand.

Are you starting to see the double standard?

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Confirmation that your source exaggerated a bit?

I find this to be interesting. You are saying that scientists should be very skeptical of the Modern Synthesis and not accept it on face value simply because of what is written in a book.

On the flip side, you are saying that scientists should not have been skeptical of McClintock's work and accepted it on face value. All the while, you are accepting what is written in a biography despite the facts in hand.

Are you starting to see the double standard?
i've said this before, you have got to be the king of strawman arguments.
an absolute ace in twisting things around.
fine job bro.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
i've said this before, you have got to be the king of strawman arguments.

I said that the biographer exaggerated a bit. You are claiming that this is "confirmation". What are you saying it is confirmation of?

Also, why shouldn't scientists be skeptical of McClintock's work?

Upvote 0