Hindu Mom and Christian daughter.. HELP.. ADVICE!?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The OPs mother is not a witch and she is not operating with demons; she is a devout Hindu with genuine fears for her daughter.

I have heard the same type of stories, only instead of a Hindu mom, it's a Catholic mom or a Protestant mom. So, its a normal reaction for anybody that is old-fashioned and doesn't see religion as a personal choice. There is also a fear-based reaction, perhaps due to cultural emphasis on karma or magical forces of retribution. In many non-western cultures (and even some places in the west), fear management is a significant part of religion. Sometimes its just more overt than we are used to.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
In many non-western cultures (and even some places in the west), fear management is a significant part of religion. Sometimes its just more overt than we are used to.
Very true. Especially in some extreme fundamentalist and hyper charismatic Christians.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are over a billion Hindus. Are they all demon possessed or witches? There are about half a billion Buddhists. Are they all demon possessed? There are one and a half billion Muslims. Are they all demon possessed?

Every man has the spirit of satan indwelling them automatically.

in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. - Ephesians 2:2

It's not a question of whether lost people operate inside the spirits of the devil, and have demons influencing them. Every lost person does to some degree, even if it is just a sin nature. Elijah, for example, had a sin nature (spirit of the power of the air indwelling him). He also yielded to a demonic spirit of fear when he fled from the threats of Jezebel.

Demon possession is different, however. Yes, all men have the evil spirit of air living in them unless they are Christians, but their will power is in control. They can choose to do this or do that. So the influence of demons in their life may not be terrible, or they may be heavily oppressed of the devil but not possessed (Acts 10:38). And there is a range, from someone who is like Elijah or Moses, who they have a sin nature, but they have some relationship with God... down to the Canaanites who had demons living in them and among them.

However, there is demon possession, and this is also to various degrees. At it's worse, a person's entire willpower is overridden, and it is a devil living in a person managing their affairs, while their own willpower is shunted to the side. Now, even when this begins to happen, a person can try to exercise their will and gain control back, but it could be too much for some, such as the man who lived in tombs that Jesus had to save. (Mark 5:3)

Witchcraft is actually a false religious spirit, combined with curses and deception. Now, what makes a person a witch, is basically the realization that their words hold spiritual power as they are spoken. At which point, like this lady's mother, she can curse people, exercise the belief that there is power in those words, and the curse of the devil goes through the spiritual reality to attempt to curse that person.

Whether that person permits the curse upon them is another matter, however. No Christian is obligated to listen, and furthermore, it's highly, highly dangerous to curse Christians who know what they are doing.

When a deceiving spirit began operating through a witch as Paul as preaching, we see the results:

Acts 13
But Elymas the sorcerer (for that is what his name means) opposed them and tried to turn the proconsul from the faith.

"You are a child of the devil and an enemy of everything that is right! You are full of all kinds of deceit and trickery. Will you never stop perverting the right ways of the Lord? Now the hand of the Lord is against you. You are going to be blind for a time, not even able to see the light of the sun." Immediately mist and darkness came over him, and he groped about, seeking someone to lead him by the hand.

And I hope that after that man was blind for a time, he repented and became a Christian just as Paul did.

But you see how when a witch confronts a real Christian using deceit or other things like curses, it backfires? They speak deceit, but rather God defends Paul's ministry, and the sorcerer receives the truth in return for his deceit.

However, her mother who goes cursing people will reap that sin in her life:

He loved to pronounce a curse-- may it come back on him. He found no pleasure in blessing-- may it be far from him. He wore cursing as his garment; it entered into his body like water, into his bones like oil. - Psalm 109:17-18

But you see, even born again Christians need to watch their words. It's very, very important what we speak, because we hold more authority in our words than the kingdom of satan. This is why we should speak life and healing.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private

in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. - Ephesians 2:2

It's not a question of whether lost people operate inside the spirits of the devil, and have demons influencing them. Every lost person does to some degree, even if it is just a sin nature. Elijah, for example, had a sin nature (spirit of the power of the air indwelling him). He also yielded to a demonic spirit of fear when he fled from the threats of Jezebel.

Demon possession is different, however. Yes, all men have the evil spirit of air living in them unless they are Christians, but their will power is in control. They can choose to do this or do that. So the influence of demons in their life may not be terrible, or they may be heavily oppressed of the devil but not possessed (Acts 10:38). And there is a range, from someone who is like Elijah or Moses, who they have a sin nature, but they have some relationship with God... down to the Canaanites who had demons living in them and among them.

However, there is demon possession, and this is also to various degrees. At it's worse, a person's entire willpower is overridden, and it is a devil living in a person managing their affairs, while their own willpower is shunted to the side. Now, even when this begins to happen, a person can try to exercise their will and gain control back, but it could be too much for some, such as the man who lived in tombs that Jesus had to save. (Mark 5:3)

Witchcraft is actually a false religious spirit, combined with curses and deception. Now, what makes a person a witch, is basically the realization that their words hold spiritual power as they are spoken. At which point, like this lady's mother, she can curse people, exercise the belief that there is power in those words, and the curse of the devil goes through the spiritual reality to attempt to curse that person.

Whether that person permits the curse upon them is another matter, however. No Christian is obligated to listen, and furthermore, it's highly, highly dangerous to curse Christians who know what they are doing.

When a deceiving spirit began operating through a witch as Paul as preaching, we see the results:

And I hope that after that man was blind for a time, he repented and became a Christian just as Paul did.

But you see how when a witch confronts a real Christian using deceit or other things like curses, it backfires? They speak deceit, but rather God defends Paul's ministry, and the sorcerer receives the truth in return for his deceit.

However, her mother who goes cursing people will reap that sin in her life:

He loved to pronounce a curse-- may it come back on him. He found no pleasure in blessing-- may it be far from him. He wore cursing as his garment; it entered into his body like water, into his bones like oil. - Psalm 109:17-18

But you see, even born again Christians need to watch their words. It's very, very important what we speak, because we hold more authority in our words than the kingdom of satan. This is why we should speak life and healing.
Yeah OK.

Reactions: Razare
Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It's fine if you don't believe me. I wondered if I should have even posted it. A lot of Christian teaching remains hidden from us until we are ready.

In basic lingo that is more palatable to pew sitting Christians: Lost people got problems. When we get saved, Christ starts to deliver us from those problems, and while we are in Christ's kingdom, we can still screw up. Nothing to sit in shame over; we're supposed to press-on in faith and have victory.

Understanding spiritual warfare is good once we have pressed on a ways into the kingdom.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
A lot of Christian teaching remains hidden from us until we are ready.
A lot of Christian teaching is not Christian but comes from people that like to brag about their spiritual prowess and usually puff themselves up by thinking that their knowledge remains hidden from us lesser Christians.
In addition the bible plainly states that many things will remain hidden from us in this life.
1 Corinthians 13:9-12
12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
I am very skeptical of anyone who declares that they somehow know hidden secrets that others do not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Razare
Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A lot of Christian teaching is not Christian but comes from people that like to brag about their spiritual prowess and usually puff themselves up by thinking that their knowledge remains hidden from us lesser Christians.
In addition the bible plainly states that many things will remain hidden from us in this life.
1 Corinthians 13:9-12
12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
I am very skeptical of anyone who declares that they somehow know hidden secrets that others do not.

That things remain hidden from us, was never meant as a teaching to condone blindness and ignorance as Christians. The context of those verses were talking about why Christians must use prophecy and other gifts in this life. When perfection comes (completely redeemed body, and Christ dwelling on Earth with us), then the prophecy and tongues will cease.

But since we do see dimly, we require the Holy Spirit to guide us, and by his light we can see by our spirits, not our eyes, not our minds:

1 Corinthians 2:16 - for, "Who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

What Paul is quoting was an Old Testament truth... but then Paul is saying, that what applied previously to men, limiting their understanding, no longer limits the understanding of a Christian. Yes, our carnal nature, our physical eyes, and physical mind are limited things. The spirit of God within us is beyond all limits.

And I am not claiming to know any hidden secrets that others do not. I am claiming to know the Bible, which itself contains progressive revelation. The Bible has many areas of study, and the more you learn from the Bible, the more there is to then learn. That it is hidden is just people who don't see it when they read. Ignorance is just a blindfold preventing people from seeing. Jesus and the apostles knew far more than me, and it's what I have studied from them that I learned about spiritual warfare.

The basic scriptures on spiritual warfare are hidden in plain sight.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. - Ephesians 6:12

The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. - 2 Corinthians 10:4

In the spiritual realm, both of these verses are literal. In the physical reality we see, they are not literal here, because they don't apply to the physical reality we see, but the spiritual reality God reveals through the word.

----------------------

But not knowing something in the Bible is not something to be skeptical of... in the Bible, God has put mysteries that He reveals:

Ephesians 3:3 how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly. 4 When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. 6 This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

More than the gospel remains a mystery, such as the parables Christ spoke to the Jews. To Christians who never study those parables, it may remain a mystery to them presently.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's remember the 5th Commandment. Though it is important to always follow the 1st Commandment and to never have any other gods, it is also important to honor our parents.

I think her mother is just concerned and lives with a superstitious hindu worldview. She is not necessarily cursing anybody. That's to be expected, she loves her daughter in the only way she knows how. It's important to avoid needless argument or needlessly belittling someone else's piety or religion - gentle disagreement while acknowledging her concerns is always better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Alrighty then. Interpret it however you see fit to suit your needs.

That we should study God's word and listen to God's instruction, is a suggestion by God that we not remain ignorant of what his word says. So I hope you can accept at least that how you were trying to use that verse isn't something you should apply to yourself in life as a way to say, "I don't have to understand."

Thinking like that just holds us back from wisdom God gives.

Now if you want me to share online resources or more Bible verses about why I interpret spiritual warfare verses this way, or why I know prophecy and tongues have not ceased, just ask, and I can share. Or anyone else for that matter. Relating it back to the OP, the gifts of God are the weapons and armor to be delivered from these things and see deliverance happen in our lives and the lives of others.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I was raised as a Hindu but as early as the age of 8 I participated in going to church here and now. 10 years later... Only now do I have the strong faith in Jesus Christ like I never had before all because of experiences and research. I've never been baptized and I don't go to church often but I pray to God regularly. What I'm trying to say is that I'm not a strong vessel of Christ and I feel like I'm susceptible of bad spirits doing anything to me.( I'm not exactly sure where to start with attending church because I'm young, alone, socially anxious.)

Anyway

My mother prays to her Hindu Gods but only now I understand that there is only one true god and I myself don't believe in those statues in the shrine to be gods. Don't get me wrong, I respect other religions but I'm not going to believe whatever someone tells me.

We had an argument earlier... There was a cup engraved with Sanskrit writing to which I was going to pick up to ask her what it translates too. Before I picked it she told me not to because I'm on my PMS. In Hinduism, it is forbidden for women during her PMS to go to temples to pray or even touch anything that is considered holy whether it's at home or a temple because...I guess...we're unclean? I don't know.
:ahem:

She pulled me aside and told me about one of her cousins back in her village went to the temple to pray. Her mother told her not too and so she did anyway because she wanted to rebel. The daughter lost her eyesight not shortly after.
Also, my dead father spit on the shrine and something happened to him but I don't exactly remember.
(My mother is a good woman and she does many good things as she very strongly believes in the Karma concept in Hinduism.)

So anyway I told her I don't believe in that and they are not god to me but she was very offended and said "don't say that about god" in a way that she was scared for me, that something bad will happen... It kind of freaked me out. Whenever my mom curses or blesses someone it comes true! (I can list examples of different things but it's separate stories, so to keep it short I won't include it unless you ask me to, I don't mind)

....I responded with saying I don't believe in those Gods and that I believe that they aren't even gods and in fact are from the devil... I mean come one..let's be real.. just google these deities (Kali Mata, Shiva, Naga)

She started saying things like "nothing good has happened in your life" basically saying look how far your god has only taken you...Watch what will happen... things like that. In my family, it seems we are all cursed and I know the only real way to end it is through the Lord. Anyway, I'm not exactly sure of what powers the Hindus deities hold but I don't need my life to go more downhill than it already has. Is there any prayers I should do so I'm not attacked. I'm not afraid of those deities like I used to be anymore because my god is strong and mighty. I don't think I'm a strong servant of god either... Any advice?
:mmh:
Thank you :love:

The bible says:

The only way you could be cursed as a Christian is if you participate in willful deliberate rebellious sin. No devil, or false religion has power over you.

Pro 26:2 A curse you don't deserve will take wings and fly away like a sparrow or a swallow.

Every curse is broken in Christ. You are free.

Gal 3:13-14 But Christ rescued us from the Law's curse, when he became a curse in our place. This is because the Scriptures say that anyone who is nailed to a tree is under a curse. And because of what Jesus Christ has done, the blessing that was promised to Abraham was taken to the Gentiles.

Don't fear demons, or false religions. Ask God's power to fill your home, where ever you go God's peace goes, demons flee. Know that God's power is His peace, not necessarily a felt power. His peace replaces the turmoil of false religion. Pray ask God to fill your home, to stop manifestations of demonic power. God is 10000000 x greater than any devil. Just don't participate in any ritual, don't do as they do.

Reactions: shesadreamer
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To the Christians on here that are saying there is no power in false religions, you are 100% wrong.

1Co 10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

Demons are real, and receive worship through false religion. False religions can perform blessings, cursing, and perform signs, but In Christ we are above these things. They can not effect us. For Christ has become a curse for us.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Check out the meaning of pagan: a member of a religious, spiritual, or cultural community based on the worship of nature or the earth; a neopagan
Hindus worship nature. They worship the sun. They have temples to worship serpents with live snakes there. The Bible refers the serpent to the devil. The serpent that led man to his fall in the garden of eden. In India radical hindus murder people of other faiths muslims, christians who eat their Holy cow. Is the life of animals more valuable than man? But there are really good Hindus too who do not agree with the radical hindus. They live together in love with people of other faiths.

Regardless, the Bible has nothing to say about Hinduism. Not a thing.

What it does say, however, is love thy neighbour.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
There are over a billion Hindus. Are they all demon possessed or witches? There are about half a billion Buddhists. Are they all demon possessed? There are one and a half billion Muslims. Are they all demon possessed?

Of course not. The very idea is ludicrous in the extreme.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

That is NOT standard Christian belief. I don't know where you got it from, but I suggest you return it and ask for a refund.

ALL people are made in the image of God, not the evil one.

Reactions: DawnStar
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
That we should study God's word and listen to God's instruction, is a suggestion by God that we not remain ignorant of what his word says. So I hope you can accept at least that how you were trying to use that verse isn't something you should apply to yourself in life as a way to say, "I don't have to understand."

Thinking like that just holds us back from wisdom God gives.

Now if you want me to share online resources or more Bible verses about why I interpret spiritual warfare verses this way, or why I know prophecy and tongues have not ceased, just ask, and I can share. Or anyone else for that matter. Relating it back to the OP, the gifts of God are the weapons and armor to be delivered from these things and see deliverance happen in our lives and the lives of others.

There is one simple reason why engaging in 'spiritual warfare' is unChristian.

The battle was fought and won 2,000 years ago on the cross. Christ won it, and all we have to do is stand with him. We don't need to fight, we don't need to go out seeking demons or satan; they have no power over us any more.

The battle is already won.

Reactions: DawnStar
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
That things remain hidden from us, was never meant as a teaching to condone blindness and ignorance as Christians. The context of those verses were talking about why Christians must use prophecy and other gifts in this life.

Who authorised you to explain what God means in Scripture, exactly?

The context of any part of the Bible is always the rest of the Bible, and most particularly that part which relates to Christ. In other words, we interpret the Bible through Christ, his life, his death and resurrection. Not through your interpretation.

Upvote 0