Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
p.s. - just point out that I strongly disagree with some of the conclusions (as opposed to the content of the book) Ms Levin reached by the end of the book (e.g. Bible full of contradictions, church oppresses women, church encourages marriage too much, etc.). This does not detract from previous comments I have posted on this thread on this topic.

Upvote 0

OLover

Oct 26, 2007
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"a bitter person would not give the positives she did about Hillsong in the process of questioning some of its practices"

Hi there Fish. It's ancient history now. At the time I thought Tanya Levin said a few positive things to give the impression of being even handed and objective. As Denton interviews go, it seemed shallow and lacking in genuine feeling. The subject matter gave Levin a book. Her interview lacked conviction. My impression was that Denton looked unconvinced. Did you read the book? :: Stephen

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then there is the problem of how Brian Houston is able to rule Hillsong, indeed the whole AoG, like a dictator. People who dare cross Brian, or even show mild dissent, are crushed. Look at what happened to Geoff Bulllock. Look at what happened to the former head of Hillsong's bible school. Indeed, so powerful in Christian circles has Brian become (mainly because of his money, and boy does money talk) that only a few select individuals like Tim Costello dare speak out against him.

Exactly The mass charismatic deception thats going on in mega churches has no other comparison except to the kind of psych phenomon in a Hitlers Nazis Germany it is mass deception and emotionalism leading to mass intoxication of poisonous dogma, thats the concern here the fact that so many can be brainwashed so easily and think its just fine when it is clearly something akin to fascisti.

A Hitler is alive and well in many of these mass mobilisation movements (jews should be particularly concerned) and yes it could be the spirit of deception hence satan not of GOD there is no middle ground here as the houstons of the world have already warned outsiders you either with us or against us.

I suggest a few people here if possible get hold of 40 year old book your parents may have possibly read called " Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley it explains this kind of deception excellently and was years ahead of its time in predictions!.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Some thoughts...

I'd be very interested in what Tim Costello said about Brian Houston? I know for a fact that the guy Tim Costello mentored/mentors - Hugh Evans, Young Australian of the Year 2003/4 can't remember, he's the outgoing director of the Oaktree Foundation. Hugh spoke at Hillsong about poverty and what Christians should do about it.

I think it was someone Neenie I think that rightly corrected me on when I slammed seemingly all pentecostal churches, even though I've only ever attended 2.

Tania's book is no doubt going to be emotional. It was written to draw that reaction - not saying that's necessarily a wrong thing - but you write a book from your point of view. Unless you're desperately bad at writing, you're point of view is going to get across in the book. My point is that book is going to be biased - even if what she writes is completely true. Just because a certain thing happened to her, doesn't mean that's a general reflection of the church. It's no doubt a valuable account, but it's only one half of the story.

I have my personal opinions of Hillsong, but I've never been there so I can't comment. All I can say is I can never be part of Hillsong church - but I will also say this. I truly believe they are too a part of Christ's body, and there are Christians in that church. I realise I may have come across a bit heavily in the other thread on my opinions of pentecostal churches - but I wouldn't go so far to say they are evil. No doubt they are sinners. Just like you and me. We are pathetic people - we make mistakes. I still completely disagree with prosperity doctrine and am wary of big stage shows and the like. But...they are a very large church - God has blessed the entire pentecostal movement with a revival of the way the church sees the Holy Spirit. I won't remove the possibility that we are completely wrong and maybe, just maybe Hillsong is doing the right thing? Maybe they are teaching the wrong thing, maybe they teach theology that's a bit off center - God forbid! Hillsong is bringing people to Christ - if someone is seeking Christ then he won't leave them to rot somewhere. They are doing something right, just as they are obviously doing something wrong. If others are in error we are called to correct them in love. Not to attack them with anger and hatred. They are still part of the body. When Jesus left, his last prayer to the Father was for the unity of the body. I am ashamed of the way I spat out accusations on my brothers and sisters that might have not been truth. If we are truly concerned - then as Sprong suggested perhaps we should write letters to Tania, or to Hillsong itself.

Or even better perhaps we should pray for them? In tongues even?

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have only one more thing to say i think mega churches are apostate in many ways.
However i realise we in the end times for deception mass brainwashing and many false prophets its part of Gods escatological plan for all us.Personally my faith conscience in christ is clear i hope others can say the same for themselves. So i rest my case!.:pray:

Upvote 0