Montana
✟8,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone! My name is Dan and I just registered on here. I have been a Pagan for 17 years, born and raised a Catholic, and have been slowly been moving back towards Catholicism. I posted a thread in "Exploring Christianity" (Link below) if you wouldn't mind taking a read.

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/pagan-finding-his-way-to-christianity.7905784/

I enjoy playing music and reading and just trying to get my life together. Excited to be here and am looking forward to some conversation!

Have a great day everyone!

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Poor Beggar

Everything is everywhere.
Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi everyone! My name is Dan and I just registered on here. I have been a Pagan for 17 years, born and raised a Catholic, and have been slowly been moving back towards Catholicism. I posted a thread in "Exploring Christianity" (Link below) if you wouldn't mind taking a read.

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/pagan-finding-his-way-to-christianity.7905784/

I enjoy playing music and reading and just trying to get my life together. Excited to be here and am looking forward to some conversation!

Welcome!

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Hi, Dan! I've noticed you've self-identified as a Pagan. If you return to Catholicism, will you see yourself as a Pagan, or is that simply how you see yourself until you become Catholic again? I went through a similar process to yours in which I asked a lot of really deep questions, studied a lot of religions, tried being an atheist, etc. However, I'd made the "mistake" of studying a lot of philosophy early on in life and had been thoroughly grounded in how to check if an idea really makes sense, is functional, contradictory, etc. What I found was every world religion failed to make sense other than Christianity and what I didn't like about Christianity (what I'd claimed "didn't make sense" originally) really actually made sense but didn't allow me to dictate my own reality. There came a point where I had to cede power over to God and I took offence to that. It "worked" for me to be a Pagan because in all those systems there is always some process by which we get to work our way up towards a more divine/enlightened state. Eventually I realized I never ended up actually "arriving". It was always some guy we hear about who's "arrived". In Christianity God comes down to me and I finally realized that's the Love I'd been missing. I just have to get over myself to experience it and that's a daily process of dying to self.

Upvote 0

David4223

Matthew 11:28
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
Lancaster, NY
✟128,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
MOD HAT ON

This thread has undergone a small cleanup.

Please remember -- Any discussions/issues on rules needs to be taken to the Member Services Center (MSC) as senior staff there would be glad to discuss any issues or concerns you may have.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

dhornace

Sep 2, 2015
Montana
✟8,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Dan! I've noticed you've self-identified as a Pagan. If you return to Catholicism, will you see yourself as a Pagan, or is that simply how you see yourself until you become Catholic again? I went through a similar process to yours in which I asked a lot of really deep questions, studied a lot of religions, tried being an atheist, etc. However, I'd made the "mistake" of studying a lot of philosophy early on in life and had been thoroughly grounded in how to check if an idea really makes sense, is functional, contradictory, etc. What I found was every world religion failed to make sense other than Christianity and what I didn't like about Christianity (what I'd claimed "didn't make sense" originally) really actually made sense but didn't allow me to dictate my own reality. There came a point where I had to cede power over to God and I took offence to that. It "worked" for me to be a Pagan because in all those systems there is always some process by which we get to work our way up towards a more divine/enlightened state. Eventually I realized I never ended up actually "arriving". It was always some guy we hear about who's "arrived". In Christianity God comes down to me and I finally realized that's the Love I'd been missing. I just have to get over myself to experience it and that's a daily process of dying to self.
Hi Poor Beggar! You are very much correct. I do consider myself a Pagan still due to the fact I haven't fully accepted Catholicism into my life yet. I feel that it wouldn't be right to myself or to other Christians to do so. Also, I look at it as that final step to take in this journey. Some may say it is the first step! But for me, I feel I need to understand and fully accept it into my heart before I identify with it. But yes, once I push forward, I will identify as a Catholic once I fully return.

I was in shock when I read your post. It looks as though our journey's have been extremely similar. I completely agree with you when you say studying a lot of philosophies and it is like you have to check it all out and it has to make perfect sense and functional. I actually said "wow" when I read that because no one has ever been on that same page with me before. I think the idea of achieving that divine/enlightened state is definitely something that I have always pushed for. Maybe that is the feeling that I felt when I was younger and have been searching to feel it again and it was God. I know exactly what you mean when you said that you took offense to "having to cede power over to God". I think that is the biggest struggle I am having at the moment. That idea of turning over that power, but that makes me ask myself if I ever had that "power" to begin with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi Poor Beggar! You are very much correct. I do consider myself a Pagan still due to the fact I haven't fully accepted Catholicism into my life yet. I feel that it wouldn't be right to myself or to other Christians to do so. Also, I look at it as that final step to take in this journey. Some may say it is the first step! But for me, I feel I need to understand and fully accept it into my heart before I identify with it. But yes, once I push forward, I will identify as a Catholic once I fully return.

I was in shock when I read your post. It looks as though our journey's have been extremely similar. I completely agree with you when you say studying a lot of philosophies and it is like you have to check it all out and it has to make perfect sense and functional. I actually said "wow" when I read that because no one has ever been on that same page with me before. I think the idea of achieving that divine/enlightened state is definitely something that I have always pushed for. Maybe that is the feeling that I felt when I was younger and have been searching to feel it again and it was God. I know exactly what you mean when you said that you took offense to "having to cede power over to God". I think that is the biggest struggle I am having at the moment. That idea of turning over that power, but that makes me ask myself if I ever had that "power" to begin with.
I'm glad you're making this journey! CF is a great place to be with a lot of REALLY helpful people, but unfortunately you will run into many people who are not helpful as it is a public community. I find it's better to either choose not to be offended, or simply use the Ignore option available when you click on their name. If we don't, we create a community where the mods have to run around like maniacs trying to police everyone and then we really can't have the open kinds of conversations you and I are having right now. I'm glad you're here and hope to talk with you more!

Upvote 0

dhornace

Sep 2, 2015
Montana
✟8,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad you're making this journey! CF is a great place to be with a lot of REALLY helpful people, but unfortunately you will run into many people who are not helpful as it is a public community. I find it's better to either choose not to be offended, or simply use the Ignore option available when you click on their name. If we don't, we create a community where the mods have to run around like maniacs trying to police everyone and then we really can't have the open kinds of conversations you and I are having right now. I'm glad you're here and hope to talk with you more!
I'm not offended easily, remember, I've been Pagan for the last 17 years hahaha. I understand why they do it, things can get out of control quickly sometimes. I appreciate you telling me your story, it has made a big impact with me.

Reactions: Poor Beggar
Upvote 0