• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

hi. need to come off my meds but not sure if I'm ready

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I take valproate and Fluoxetine for BPD and am I need to come off my meds but am not sure I'm ready yet. I'm sick of feeling tired and fat all the time. I have PCOS and am sure my drugs are aggravating my insulin issues. Has anyone else come off meds for BPD successfully
I don't have BPD or PCOS, but I do have depression. I've been on various anti-depressants for 17 years. I don't like how they make me feel either. I went off them once and quickly plummeted. What I do now whenever I start feeling bad about being on the meds is to remember how I was when I wasn't taking them. I'll stay on the meds the rest of my life -- no contest.

Have a talk with your psychiatrist. Maybe there are other meds available for your conditions that have less bothersome side effects.

Upvote 0

coolworld187

May 6, 2014
✟15,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I Take Around 6 Different And For Me They Dont Work As They Should Which They Say Is Medication Res. They Only Help A Tab Bit. The Side Effects Get To Be To Much With The Weight Gain, Twitching And Other Messed Up Movements! This Has Taken A Toll On Me And I Try To Hang In There For My Daughtrs! I Do Battle In My Relationship With God Feeling That He Does Not Love Me! I Have A Christian Wife Who Knows The Word! I Wish She Would Use It! I Get Triggered So Many Times Being Put Down Talked About And No Help Within The Home! But, She Does Not Do That With Her Friends! I Already Hate Myself And This Just Adds More! Maybe She Was Absent In Church When The Pastor Preached About Unconditional Love! Everybody Cant Win And Guess I Am Just One Of Those!

Upvote 0

anonym00s

Sep 26, 2011
✟8,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I take valproate and Fluoxetine for BPD and am I need to come off my meds but am not sure I'm ready yet. I'm sick of feeling tired and fat all the time. I have PCOS and am sure my drugs are aggravating my insulin issues. Has anyone else come off meds for BPD successfully

I personally know someone that is no longer on meds and no longer has bpd or bipolar (supported by documentation if you were wondering). The sad thing is that half the time I mention her story people get angry. She used to call me several times a day - lately I wonder if she is doing ok because there are such long periods I don't hear from her which is a good thing because she has been living a normal life with more friends in her life.

So yes, it is possible to get off the meds and not be bpd - you don't have to be on bpd meds for 20 years.

As a disclaimer, I recall her saying that the meds she took were for the bipolar, not the bpd. My point is that you don't have to be stuck with bpd the rest of your life. Her website is BPD Freedom Ministries | When the son of God sets you free, you will be free indeed! John 8:36 if you want to find out more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I personally know someone that is no longer on meds and no longer has bpd or bipolar (supported by documentation if you were wondering). The sad thing is that half the time I mention her story people get angry. She used to call me several times a day - lately I wonder if she is doing ok because there are such long periods I don't hear from her which is a good thing because she has been living a normal life with more friends in her life.

So yes, it is possible to get off the meds and not be bpd - you don't have to be on bpd meds for 20 years.

As a disclaimer, I recall her saying that the meds she took were for the bipolar, not the bpd. My point is that you don't have to be stuck with bpd the rest of your life. Her website is BPD Freedom Ministries | When the son of God sets you free, you will be free indeed! John 8:36 if you want to find out more.

Yes, medication usage for BPD specifically is not as common as medication usage for other psychological disorders. Many times, people who are diagnosed with BPD, have other underlying disorders, that the medication is utilized for and does not really address the BPD directly.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

WHY do you need to come off your meds? Has a doctor suggested this? Unless you have some symptom indicating that they are harming you or something in your condition has changed, I don't know you would risk going below therapeutic levels and potentially ending up on a psych unit to get things back in balance. Sometimes we do have to take medications for life...diabetics, some cardiac patients, asthmatics have a few...it isn't a sign of weakness to be on the meds but rather indicates that you are taking care of yourself. If something isn't working anymore, talk to your doctor and get a med change.

Upvote 0