California
✟9,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hey everyone. Some of you might remember me, some of you probably won't. I've been on and off this forum for as long as I can remember. I'm back. Again. Haha. Anyways I have a question that has been bothering me which is why I decided to post this here. Why is it that so many Catholics are pro life, but not protestants? I was raised catholic. I don't identify with that right now for many reasons but I am not at all here to judge I'm just wondering what you think the reason is? My reasoning behind this is I am very adamantly pro life, but I noticed other protestants like myself are not. What is the deal with this?!
Thanks guys!

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Protestants sometimes have a choice, Catholics don't. We are duty bound to ascent to Church teaching even if we do not understand it.
^^ This.

Protestants have a more general belief system - mainly based on their personal conscience rather than a clear or concise teaching.
Another problem within the protestant community would be church shopping.
They can find a church 'they feel comfortable in' that agrees with their choices.

In fact - 6 minutes from my house is a church that is pro choice.
Therefore; it attracts the pro choice crowd... so depending on what someone 'wants' to believe - they only need to find the right place that fits their preferences.

Upvote 0

cmarie423

Momma of 3
Mar 18, 2007
California
✟9,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That makes sense, but even following just the bible obviously points out abortion is wrong. Yes it doesn't say abortion, but murder is murder. Personally I don't attend church for quite a few reasons such as the not following the bible 100% trend, etc. I obviously know this is a Catholic forum, but it just astounds me more protestants like myself do not follow the clear teachings of Christ on this matter. Since when has it been okay to cherry pick everything?

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Remember the infamous saying of "eye for eye, life fore" and so on? Well that is about the issue of injury or worse to the child of woman who got assaulted during pregnancy. So if the child was born dead as a result of the assault, then the life of the person causing it was forfeit. I remember having a debate on another forum with an atheist and he was angry that the Bible said nothing about abortion, then i pointed it out, but he was still angry, because he was always going to be angry because he hateed the Bible anyway.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That makes sense, but even following just the bible obviously points out abortion is wrong. Yes it doesn't say abortion, but murder is murder. Personally I don't attend church for quite a few reasons such as the not following the bible 100% trend, etc. I obviously know this is a Catholic forum, but it just astounds me more protestants like myself do not follow the clear teachings of Christ on this matter. Since when has it been okay to cherry pick everything?
I'm not trying to sound condescending - but since Luther, Zwigli and Calvin - thus began cherry picking.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Remember the infamous saying of "eye for eye, life fore" and so on? Well that is about the issue of injury or worse to the child of woman who got assaulted during pregnancy. So if the child was born dead as a result of the assault, then the life of the person causing it was forfeit. I remember having a debate on another forum with an atheist and he was angry that the Bible said nothing about abortion, then i pointed it out, but he was still angry, because he was always going to be angry because he hateed the Bible anyway.
That's a good point, the eye for an eye laws.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
hey everyone. Some of you might remember me, some of you probably won't. I've been on and off this forum for as long as I can remember. I'm back. Again. Haha. Anyways I have a question that has been bothering me which is why I decided to post this here. Why is it that so many Catholics are pro life, but not protestants? I was raised catholic. I don't identify with that right now for many reasons but I am not at all here to judge I'm just wondering what you think the reason is? My reasoning behind this is I am very adamantly pro life, but I noticed other protestants like myself are not. What is the deal with this?!
Thanks guys!
At least in theory, what Mike said.

However, that's on anti-abortion. Other prolife questions murky the waters considerably.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
hey I remember you :)

sorry that you no longer feel at home in the Church
the Catholic Church will always be here to welcome you back if you change your mind
(not to drag up dirty laundry, but I remember some of the problems you talked about, I can understand the temptation to leave)

as for your question
Catholics have actual philosophical and theological systems of morality and social justice
so while many Protestants might be Pro-Life, they might not be as comfortable talking out about it
so the lack of depth of theology makes less Protestants Pro-Life and makes them less likely to speak out

another issue is just the division among Protestants
so while many may be Pro-Life, they have more difficulties on an institutional level working together
where the Catholic Church has that infrastructure in place

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Protestant denominations are generally classified as either evangelical or mainstream.

Evangelical denominations believe in literal interpretation of the Bible and tend to be very conservative on social issues (although black Baptist churches tend to be more liberal than other evangelical sects, particularly on civil rights and social justice issues, where they are often at the forefront).

Mainstream Protestant religions--Episcopal, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, UCC--are generally more liberal, although there are obviously differences in degree.

What I find is that if you define pro-life in a broad, seamless garment way different denominations will be at the forefont of different advocacy programs.

Upvote 0

cmarie423

Momma of 3
Mar 18, 2007
California
✟9,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Rhamiel, it's been forever since we've talked!!! I deleted my facebook and then IDK what happened lol. And yes I do live there. I'm in Tehachapi. Honestly I have no idea where I am in my religious walk. Half the time I feel like I'm going to go insane. I don't know what to believe anymore, that aside though I think all of you are right. I just find it so odd how it isn't an issue at the forefront. I find more people upset about gay marriage then the murder of children. While obviously wrong I've never seen protestants bash abortion the way they do with anyone who is gay. It's dumb!

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0