Here is the quote that changed forever my view of EGW

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea, I thought SDA was anti Charismatic.
Evangelicals sometimes consider a divide from Charismatic beliefs pertaining to Spiritual gifts etc.

I assumed SDA is a conservative Evangelical denomination.
googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-1445020441508-1'); });
Are there different doctrines among SDA?
I am not sure if the difference between the various wings of the SDA are doctrinal or just emphasis and culture.

I do know there is a small wing called "The Celebration Churches" that is fully charismatic but most of the SDA is anticharismatic, especially the traditionalist sector. John Carter (SDA evangelist) is a leader in the Evangelical wing but seems to be somewhat pro-charismatic. He speaks openly of miracles happening at his outreach events. www.cartereport.org

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea, I thought SDA was anti Charismatic.
Evangelicals sometimes consider a divide from Charismatic beliefs pertaining to Spiritual gifts etc.

I assumed SDA is a conservative Evangelical denomination.

Are there different doctrines among SDA?

SDAs believe in the 1Cor 12 gifts - but we do not believe that was passes for spiritual gifts in many popular settings is the real deal. So then you don't see speaking in tongues or faith healing among SDAs -- but we believe that the NT church had those gifts and that God could give that to someone today - in its real form.

And we believe all doctrine and tradition should be tested "sola scriptura".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I do know there is a small wing called "The Celebration Churches" that is fully charismatic

I have attended a number of "celebration churches" and none of them were "fully charismatic" though they had possibly a handful of visitors and new members that were.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The paragragph that Changed my life........@ page 83 paragraph 4, you will find the following quote " What troubled the obstinate Smith was not so much the specific theology of Jones and Waggoner so much as Ellen Whites Role in supporting it. The venerable editor had understood her to condemned the position on the basis of a vision in 1856 when Waggoner's father had advocated the same Idea. (That was the problem).....It preplexed Smith that Ellen White could do an about face and endorse what she fromerly opposed. He was sure there had to be a conspirisy afoot.https://books.google.com/books?id=5...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

no page 83 at that link

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
SDAs believe in the 1Cor 12 gifts - but we do not believe that was passes for spiritual gifts in many popular settings is the real deal. So then you don't see speaking in tongues or faith healing among SDAs -- but we believe that the NT church had those gifts and that God could give that to someone today - in its real form.

And we believe all doctrine and tradition should be tested "sola scriptura".

That makes good sense to me, because it is right out of God's Word.

To over emphasize the gifts that everyone in Church has them is not what Paul taught.

To somehow say they were done away with has no Biblical foundation.

So much that is taught is based on theory of God's Word ,in doing this it requires interpretation beyond what the Author has written.

A theory is a presumptuous conclusion , that is based on ignorance of a subject.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0