Apr 4, 2010
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
Well this morning was a wonderful experience!! I went to the local evangelical church and I just felt a trmedous spirit of love there. I really enjoyed myself there. I felt at times such a strong love and yearning for my Saviour that I was almost moved to tears, to me it felt like a very spiritually uplifting experience. I met a nice woman my age whos just come back from helping in China too. And we had a sermon on a psalm. I felt very happy and came home but then my dad rang.
Well I would have to tell him sooner or later. So he said did you have a nice time at church? So I just bit the bullet and told him. Yes I did it was lovely only I'm going to a different church. Anyway to cut a long story short he told me he was disappointed in me. How I would never be happy and I wouldn't be able to get married in the temple for eternity if I left the church. "The church" meaning the LDS church the church I grew up in. I didn't back down I said how I l still loved our Lord and Saviour and would forever and ever and never would I turn my back on Him. But Dad couldn't fathom how I could ever be happy away from the "true" church.
My mother sounded as though she was close to tears on the phone asking me, when I told her I'd gone to a different church, "what have you done that for?". She said how I had made her "very very upset". I feel terrible as she and my father are going on holiday tomorow to celebrate their wedding aniversary. Mother ended the conversation abruptly with "Well see how long that happyness lasts"
My mormon house mate knocked on the door shortly after I got back and smiled sweetly saying how she missed me at church today. I was calm and said I did go to church today. She said did I go to my parents ward (mormon chapel). I said no I went to a different one. She said with a friend? I said no on my own. She said "oh cool" and left quickly.
I'm feeling very scared and confused. Have I done the right thing? I was so happy when I came home. And I liked how there was such an atmosphere of love in that church. Sure theres an atmosphere of love in a mormon church too. And sure people are caring and loving there just as much as anywhere.
I'm terrified of God being cross at me and not letting me into Heaven or seeing my family on the other side because I turned my back on His church. That fear (though maybe it does sound irrational to you) is very intense feeling right now.
I actually feel very upset. I've never liked how the Mormon Church says DON'T DO THAT AND DO DO THIS AND RA RA RA. You shouldn't ever go in another church? WHY ? cos your scared your going to loose a member?! Sorry but I just feel very upset and I suppose hurt right now. I should pray really shouldn't I?

bunnydrop

Apr 12, 2009
uk
✟15,759.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Im so sorry to hear your news.I have had trouble like this with my family over church moves.Im still in a muddle but i pray an the lord helps me.Try to stay strong.Its ok to try a new plca,lots of peole do.as long as you have the lord you will be ok.Love your parents but stand firm.You are doing this for god an you not them.hope it gets better.I will pray for you all.

Upvote 0

SkyWishes

Apr 4, 2010
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
I guess in a world where a growing majority make pubs, shopping centres, sofas and tv sets their "churches" whre they idolise the screen, alchohol and cheap fashion, I don't suppose realisticly you or I are doing too badly.

It hurts though to feel rejection :(.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
26. "Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.27. "What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops.28. "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.29. "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.30. "But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.31. "So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.32. "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven.33. "But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.34. "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.35. "For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW;36. and A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD.37. "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.38. "And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.39. "He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.40. "He who receives you receives Me, and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.41. "He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.42. "And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward."
Matthew 10:26-42

I hope His words strike home to you. (The caps are references to OT passages). I'm sorry you're having to go through these issues with your family - but Jesus is worth it :)

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
27. Then Peter said to Him, "Behold, we have left everything and followed You; what then will there be for us?"28. And Jesus said to them, "Truly I say to you, that you who have followed Me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on His glorious throne, you also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.29. "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms for My name's sake, will receive many times as much, and will inherit eternal life.30. "But many who are first will be last; and the last, first.
Matthew 19:27-30

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a tough situation... I'm sorry that you are going through it. Family and spirituality are two of our most important priorities, so it's especially hard when they are at odds. When it comes to a change like this, it's usually worst at the beginning. Give your parents some time to adjust, and you might find that they accept you and your new faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Any parent is going to be worried about their child (even adult) trying something knew. What they have established has proven to be safe and good for them. They see no reason to switch. But you are old enough to fine-tune what you have gained from their upbringing.

Parents get nervous when they hit this phase when their children become adults -- too much changes at once.

If you are concerned about what God wants, find the clearest and purest sources of knowing His will.

God was able to support Daniel and friends when they were kidnapped by Babylonians. Some of the favorite Bible miracles came from that experience. So if you find you have jumped off the deep end, you can be sure that God will not leave you.

You might take a look at this description of methods different groups have for manipulating members.... it doesn't look like you are in an extreme situation, but this list can be refreshing when you're feeling pulled too strongly:

http://www.ex-cult.org/General/singer-conditions

Upvote 0