Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Hebrews 1 doesn't say Jesus did "the actual creation work...under the direction of the Father". There is One God - The Father and the Son (along with the Holy Spirit) are One God, not "one in purpose" only, but literally one actual God.
Both Trinitarian and LDS theology agree that there is ONE God in multiple persons, so we are no different in this regard. The difference these beliefs is in the how these multiple persons are ONE God.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormons teach that Jesus was Jehovah in the Old Testament. yet Jesus was with the Father and and explained the following:

John 5
19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

John 12
27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.

29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.

30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.

Isaiah 44
8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

Isaiah 46
9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mormons teach that Jesus was Jehovah in the Old Testament. yet Jesus was with the Father and and explained the following:

John 5
19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

John 12
27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.

29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.

30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.

Isaiah 44
8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

Isaiah 46
9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
You just shot yourself in the foot

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You just shot yourself in the foot

You wish! According to Mormonism, Jesus said the following:
Isaiah 44

Isaiah 46

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
You wish! According to Mormonism, Jesus said the following:
Isaiah 44

Isaiah 46
LDS believe in ONE God...

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Both Trinitarian and LDS theology agree that there is ONE God in multiple persons, so we are no different in this regard. The difference these beliefs is in the how these multiple persons are ONE God.

Which is not any kind of difference that is recognized as Christian, either historically or currently. This is why the homoiousian (= similar substance) and heteroousian (= different substance) factions which objected to the Nicene Creed for its use of the term homoousios (= same substance) were cast out of the Church.

They too would have been able to say that they believe that there is one God in multiple persons, but it precisely because of how they believed them to be one God that they created heresies and were rebuked -- and rightly so.

So it is not enough to say as you have said that LDS and Trinitarians agree based on such a surface understanding. As LDS do not believe that the three persons are homoousios (which there was a thread about that went on forever that you participated in, so I trust that you remember it), in fact LDS and Christians do not agree.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
P.S. I can't help but notice that you are also using the word 'multiple' (which I have preserved in my reply, so as to preserve the structure of your post in my own reply), rather than 'three'. This is an interesting distinction in the context of a thread on henotheism. Would you care to explain the reasoning behind this, Jane_Doe? I'm guessing, given on what you wrote about traditional Trinitarianism in the thread I mentioned, that there must be some LDS-specific theology behind this.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Which is not any kind of difference that is recognized as Christian, either historically or currently. This is why the homoiousian (= similar substance) and heteroousian (= different substance) factions which objected to the Nicene Creed for its use of the term homoousios (= same substance) were cast out of the Church.

They too would have been able to say that they believe that there is one God in multiple persons, but it precisely because of how they believed them to be one God that they created heresies and were rebuked -- and rightly so.

So it is not enough to say as you have said that LDS and Trinitarians agree based on such a surface understanding. As LDS do not believe that the three persons are homoousios (which there was a thread about that went on forever that you participated in, so I trust that you remember it), in fact LDS and Christians do not agree.
This post agrees with what I said, just more detail on the "how".

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
P.S. I can't help but notice that you are also using the word 'multiple' (which I have preserved in my reply, so as to preserve the structure of your post in my own reply), rather than 'three'. This is an interesting distinction in the context of a thread on henotheism. Would you care to explain the reasoning behind this, Jane_Doe? I'm guessing, given on what you wrote about traditional Trinitarianism in the thread I mentioned, that there must be some LDS-specific theology behind this.
No such detailed thought went into the word choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
<staff edit>

Yes, LDS do believe in ONE God consisting up of multiple persons, as do Trinitarians. Neither position is henotheism. <staff edit>

I am a former Sexton Fundamentalist. The Christian understanding of Trinity is nothing like LDS meaning of godhead. I have had many LDS tell me they believe in the existence of many Gods, but only worship the God of this planet.

In fact, their proof text is "lords many and gods many"

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In mormonism they must push the concept of multiple gods because they are henotheists. They believe in the existence of many gods but claim to only worship one (which is really two, anyway - Heavenly Father and Jesus, who are two separate gods in the mormon religion). Mormonism is a perfect example of henotheism.

Ameno, that is consistent with my experience as a Sexton.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Each of the examples I gave I chose specifically because it speak as if there is another person.

18 For thus saith the Lord/Yahweh that created the heavens; God/ Elohim himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord/Yahweh; and there is none else.

Yahweh does not say 'I' established it but uses the third person pronoun 'he' established it. The New Testament writers would agree with this passage, Jesus may have done the actual creation work but he did it under the direction of the Father, see Heb 1.

I read Hebrew, not two gods, but one.

Isaiah 43:10 rules out anyone becoming a god.

Psalms text in context refers to the Judges who had authority over the nation.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That is a huge difference which places LDS in the Denotheism definition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am a former Sexton Fundamentalist. The Christian understanding of Trinity is nothing like LDS meaning of godhead. I have had many LDS tell me they believe in the existence of many Gods, but only worship the God of this planet.

In fact, their proof text is "lords many and gods many"

You will receive various answers to whom do they worship. Some of them think it is only the Father. President Hickley said,
"He is the central focus of our worship. He is the Son of the living God, the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten in the flesh, who left the royal courts on high to be born as a mortal in the most humble of circumstances."

In truth, that makes them polytheists rather than henotheists.

Upvote 0