Married
Politics
US-Republican
henotheism
[hen-uh-thee-iz-uh m]
Spell Syllables
Word Origin
noun
the worship of a particular god, as by a family or tribe, without disbelieving in the existence of others.
ascription of supreme divine attributes to whichever one of several gods is addressed at the time.
the definition of henotheism

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Obviously flawed.

I agree that it contradicts the Bible Isaiah 43:10. But, LDS try to redefine the term to say it does not apply to their teachings.

I am using the definition given in the dictionary. Because <staff edit> one must define terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I agree that it contradicts the Bible Isaiah 43:10. But, LDS try to redefine the term to say it does not apply to their teachings.
<staff edit>

Yes, LDS do believe in ONE God consisting up of multiple persons, as do Trinitarians. Neither position is henotheism. <staff edit>

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It would appear to me that the early Hebrews were henotheistic as witness the use of "elohim" in Genesis. They recognized the pantheon of mid-eastern gods but accepted El as their particular God. Within a century or two they moved into a position of monotheism.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It would appear to me that the early Hebrews were henotheistic as witness the use of "elohim" in Genesis. They recognized the pantheon of mid-eastern gods but accepted El as their particular God. Within a century or two they moved into a position of monotheism.

God never condoned sin.

For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
Psalm 96:5

Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:4

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That is a position that I have not had time to investigate completely. I have read a little long ago and do not remember what it was. What you say is likely true since Moses had contact with Egypt and one of the leaders became well known for his monotheism and could have been the source of Moses momotheism.

If you know of up to date books on this please post them or send via private email, messaging.<staff edit>
And, thanks for your kind input Daniel

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry I haven't been here, I didn't mean to just leave. My daughter in law has breast cancer and has been in the hospital the last week fighting off sepsis and the flue, a few prayers for Leslie would be appreciated.

Johan would be a good example of henotheism he thought he could run over to the next country and get away from Yahweh. Moses climbed the Mountain of the gods and Jethro realized Yahweh was above the other gods.

In ps 89 when it's put back into the original Hebrew says Yahweh is greater than the other sons of El.

I think our difference is understanding the substance of God and the Greek word logos. Logos original meant nothing more than to reason. If I do a math problem in my head then I'm logos-ing. Write it down and it becomes my written word or logos. I can logos a trip to the Redwoods next September and looking forward to it.

Over several hundred years of 'reasoning' the Greeks reason this ability to logos into their god. He became the unmoveable mover of all things. His substance was not made of any element, not an atom to him. He was pure reasoning or mind. Logos had become a living thing with a personality. He would logos or reason all else into being. There was being and not being, god was being or real. Everything else was not being or unreal but merely gods thoughts. I get lost after that, it's just to confusing.

The Trinity borrows from that Greek idea. Jesus is the logos of God but remember God is not made of any element so Jesus is a physical manifestation of the logos/god. However you can not compound the substance nor can you divided the substance. They are one being yet they are two separate beings.

Mormonism goes back to the original true meaning of logos. God the Father reasoned or planned for our redemption and that plan centered on the atonement of his Son Jesus, thus he is the logos of God, he is God's plan for redemption.

However there is room for the logos concept if we think of the logos as the light of God. God is a being of light, housed within a spirit, housed within a physical body of element. His light gives life to all things and that light is within Jesus giving him life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm sorry I haven't been here, I didn't mean to just leave. My daughter in law has breast cancer and has been in the hospital the last week fighting off sepsis and the flue, a few prayers for Leslie would be appreciated...

However there is room for the logos concept if we think of the logos as the light of God. God is a being of light, housed within a spirit, housed within a physical body of element. His light gives life to all things and that light is within Jesus giving him life.

<staff edit> In Mormonism, everything is matter; therefore, it is element.

I'll pray for Leslie. So sorry that she's not well.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry I haven't been here, I didn't mean to just leave. My daughter in law has breast cancer and has been in the hospital the last week fighting off sepsis and the flue, a few prayers for Leslie would be appreciated.

Your family is in our prayers --- been there, done that.

Johan would be a good example of henotheism he thought he could run over to the next country and get away from Yahweh. Moses climbed the Mountain of the gods and Jethro realized Yahweh was above the other gods.

I do not remember those characters, but was not their gods idols made of wood or something? I think I remember someone stealing the family idols, gods.

In ps 89 when it's put back into the original Hebrew says Yahweh is greater than the other sons of El.

Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 89 - English Standard Version

Hebrew was my first language as a child --- no longer speak it.
But, having a Jewish background, I have always understood that chapter as referring to angels, not gods.

The Trinity borrows from that Greek idea. Jesus is the logos of God but remember God is not made of any element so Jesus is a physical manifestation of the logos/god. However you can not compound the substance nor can you divided the substance. They are one being yet they are two separate beings.

This is known as the old copy cat thesis which historians have rejected long ago. I am a trained Historian on University level.

http://www.tektonics.org/copycathub.html

The link contains a lot of information on the copy cat thesis.

There are even stories that We borrowed Quexalcote from Mexico.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Spirit can inhabit humans, so there is no need for compounding.
But, I do use compound drugs. BTW, I have been through Cancer, so many times, I quit counting in double digits.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Phoebe quoted Isa 44 in one of her postings a few days ago trying to explain there is one God.

I’m going to address the real meaning of Isa 44

*First it helps to check Strongs and then to have a little back ground in Jewish beliefs at the time and try not to apply your own beliefs over the top of what is actually there. What they believe today is not what they worshiped and believed at the time of Isaiah.

When Isaiah was writing Israel had not yet fallen completely into apostasy but they were on the way. They still had their two God system, there was El and there was Yahweh. Yahweh was mediator between Israel and El. You can see this true worship lingered until 400 bc when Malachi accuses them of worshiping the daughter of a strange god.

“ But ye are departed out of the way; …Have we not all one father? hath not one God/El created us? …Judah hath dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah hath profaned the holiness of the Lord/Yahweh which he loved, and hath married the daughter of a strange god.”

There was a small sect of Jews who still worshiped the two beings at the time of Jesus,

“ Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God/El; thou art the King of Israel/Yahweh” John 1

These are the Jews which chose to follow Jesus, they were looking for him.

Paul on the other hand belonged to the Pharisees point of view, they did not know or worship the Father El. In John 8 Jesus has an argument with them and says

19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.

They had merged the Father and the Son into a “strange god” and no longer worshiped the true and living Elohim(s). After Paul’s vision his whole concept of God changed;

“ And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God. But all that heard him were amazed, …” Acts 9

Isaiah never intended to say there was not another God and Father beyond Yahweh, he just assumes you already know that.

In Isa 5 he separates the two;

16 But the Lord/Yahweh of hosts shall be exalted in judgment, and God/El that is holy shall be sanctified in righteousness.

Jesus called the Father “the Holy Father”.

The problem lies in that over the thousands of years the meaning of the word El has become blurred. Sometimes it can mean any god, sometimes it does referred to Yahweh, he was the God of Israel. Some times 'elohiym (s) should be read as singular because of a singular noun in the passage but sometimes it should be read plural as in Ex 3

“Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of the Gods, even to Horeb.”

However the original meaning was El the Father God of the Canaanite peoples. The Canaanite people were descendants of Noah and had the original truth taught to them until they fell into apostasy. Shem was still walking around when Abraham was born and must have taught his children as much as they would listen the true nature of God.

El created in Gen 1-2 all the host of Heaven and Earth before they were in the earth, thus he bears the title of Father of spirits, see Heb 12. The Lord God or Yahweh/Jesus created man from the dust of the earth in Gen 2.

El over time became an idolatrous figure and his true position as our Father as expressed by Malachi became lost.

In Isa 12 there is this;
2 Behold, God/El is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

That means he’s thinking of two Gods which are both his salvation.

In Isa 43 he refers to the mediator position which Yahweh has;

25 I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.
26 Put me in remembrance: let us plead together: declare thou, that thou mayest be justified.

Plead to whom if there is no other God?

In Isa 45 he after declaring
12 I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.

(note he did not say He created the host, they were created by the Father)

He stops short of taking all the glory to himself ;

18 For thus saith the Lord/Yahweh that created the heavens; God/ Elohim himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord/Yahweh; and there is none else.

In Isa 64 here is another reference

4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God/Elohim, beside thee (singular noun), what he (meaning Yahweh)hath prepared for him that waiteth for him(Yahweh).
5 Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee (meaning El) in thy ways:

They were waiting as the apostles in John 1 for the coming of their Messiah/ Yahweh. Yahweh would be the Messiah he would return mankind to the presences of El.

So we can clearly see that Isaiah understood that there were two different Gods El and Yahweh.

*Now one must understand what Israel thought the title ‘Lord of Host’ meant. In Gen 2 it explains that El created all of the host of heaven and earth before they were in the earth and before they grew. In Ps 89 it says none can compare to Yahweh in the congregation of the Sons of El, the Holy Ones.

In Ps 86 it says “Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works. All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name. For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.”

Later both in Ps 45 and Heb 1 it explains Yahweh was anointed God by his God and was placed above his “fellows”. Yahweh is Lord of Host or commander of the sons of God. This is what Isa 44 is explaining

Isa 44
6 Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Meaning; of the host of heaven and earth he was the first, the firstborn .

and the last or only one of the host called/ anointed as God, the word God there is 'elohiym and is plural, there are no other Gods amongst the host as Ps 86 says.

7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.

The word ancient is `owlam meaning eternal, he appoints or ordains the eternal people or those host. So they can’t be equal to him. He among them alone has been anointed God.

8-9 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Are there Gods beside me? yea, there is no tsuwr/rock; I know not any. They that make a graven image are all of them vanity….

It is my contention that the beginning of paganism was the worship of these other sons of El who were placed as care givers over the different nations.

Deut 32
7 ¶Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee.
8 When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the son of El.
9 For the Lord’s portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.

In Israelite lore there were 70 of these sons of El which were placed over the various nations. Yahweh’s portion was Jacob but also he was the Lord of Host, commander of all the others.

We see this concept in Job 1 where the sons of God come to report to Yahweh. Yahweh was in charge and they reported to him as the mediator between mankind and El.

Like Lucifer these sons demanded to be worshipped and thus paganism was born, it was part of the war in heaven.

Yahweh goes on to warn them;

9 ¶They that make a graven image are all of them vanity; and their delectable things shall not profit; and they are their own witnesses; they see not, nor know; that they may be ashamed.
10 Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image that is profitable for nothing?

* Now back to “the rock” . In 2 Sam 22 David writes a poem from which I’ve pulled out a few passages;

“And he said, The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;

The God of my rock; in him will I trust: …
In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried to my God:…

The Lord thundered from heaven, and the 'elyown uttered his voice….

For I have kept the ways of the Lord, and have not wickedly departed from my God.

32 For who is God, save the Lord? and who is a rock, save our God?…

The Lord liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.”

Yahweh/Jesus is the God of Israel yet he has a God and Father.

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do not remember those characters, but was not their gods idols made of wood or something? I think I remember someone stealing the family idols, gods.

Jonah as in Jonah and the whale? He was called by God to preach to Nineveh but he was frighten and thought he flee to Tarshish and away from the jurisdiction of the Lord. See he thought Yahweh was only the God of Israel, if he went some place else he could get away. But he learned that Yahweh is the God of the whole earth and there was no place for him to run to. He gets swallowed by a giant fish and spit out somewhere near Nineveh.

His story shows that prophets aren't perfect and don't have to have a perfect knowledge of God to be called.

It seems you are a New Testament Christian and haven't learned much about the Old Testament?

This is known as the old copy cat thesis which historians have rejected long ago. I am a trained Historian on University level.

I believe there was one true teaching given by Noah to his descendants. As man apostatized from that truth they kept some threads of truth but then added to it, so it appears to the secular world that Israel borrowed or copied from other religions. But I feel it was the other way round the false pagans borrowed from the true religion in order to fool the people.

However the notion that the Trinity was influenced by Greek philosophy is widely known and accepted as fact. If you will type in "trinity and greek philosophy" to you search engine you will come up with many papers speaking to this issue.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Phoebe quoted Isa 44 in one of her postings a few days ago trying to explain there is one God.

I’m going to address the real meaning of Isa 44

*First it helps to check Strongs and then to have a little back ground in Jewish beliefs at the time and try not to apply your own beliefs over the top of what is actually there. What they believe today is not what they worshiped and believed at the time of Isaiah.

When Isaiah was writing Israel had not yet fallen completely into apostasy but they were on the way. They still had their two God system, there was El and there was Yahweh. Yahweh was mediator between Israel and El. You can see this true worship lingered until 400 bc when Malachi accuses them of worshiping the daughter of a strange god.

“ But ye are departed out of the way; …Have we not all one father? hath not one God/El created us? …Judah hath dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah hath profaned the holiness of the Lord/Yahweh which he loved, and hath married the daughter of a strange god.”

There was a small sect of Jews who still worshiped the two beings at the time of Jesus,

“ Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God/El; thou art the King of Israel/Yahweh” John 1

These are the Jews which chose to follow Jesus, they were looking for him.

Paul on the other hand belonged to the Pharisees point of view, they did not know or worship the Father El. In John 8 Jesus has an argument with them and says

19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.

They had merged the Father and the Son into a “strange god” and no longer worshiped the true and living Elohim(s). After Paul’s vision his whole concept of God changed;

“ And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God. But all that heard him were amazed, …” Acts 9

Isaiah never intended to say there was not another God and Father beyond Yahweh, he just assumes you already know that.

In Isa 5 he separates the two;

16 But the Lord/Yahweh of hosts shall be exalted in judgment, and God/El that is holy shall be sanctified in righteousness.

Jesus called the Father “the Holy Father”.

The problem lies in that over the thousands of years the meaning of the word El has become blurred. Sometimes it can mean any god, sometimes it does referred to Yahweh, he was the God of Israel. Some times 'elohiym (s) should be read as singular because of a singular noun in the passage but sometimes it should be read plural as in Ex 3

“Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of the Gods, even to Horeb.”

However the original meaning was El the Father God of the Canaanite peoples. The Canaanite people were descendants of Noah and had the original truth taught to them until they fell into apostasy. Shem was still walking around when Abraham was born and must have taught his children as much as they would listen the true nature of God.

El created in Gen 1-2 all the host of Heaven and Earth before they were in the earth, thus he bears the title of Father of spirits, see Heb 12. The Lord God or Yahweh/Jesus created man from the dust of the earth in Gen 2.

El over time became an idolatrous figure and his true position as our Father as expressed by Malachi became lost.

In Isa 12 there is this;
2 Behold, God/El is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

That means he’s thinking of two Gods which are both his salvation.

In Isa 43 he refers to the mediator position which Yahweh has;

25 I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.
26 Put me in remembrance: let us plead together: declare thou, that thou mayest be justified.

Plead to whom if there is no other God?

In Isa 45 he after declaring
12 I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.

(note he did not say He created the host, they were created by the Father)

He stops short of taking all the glory to himself ;

18 For thus saith the Lord/Yahweh that created the heavens; God/ Elohim himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord/Yahweh; and there is none else.

In Isa 64 here is another reference

4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God/Elohim, beside thee (singular noun), what he (meaning Yahweh)hath prepared for him that waiteth for him(Yahweh).
5 Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee (meaning El) in thy ways:

They were waiting as the apostles in John 1 for the coming of their Messiah/ Yahweh. Yahweh would be the Messiah he would return mankind to the presences of El.

So we can clearly see that Isaiah understood that there were two different Gods El and Yahweh.

*Now one must understand what Israel thought the title ‘Lord of Host’ meant. In Gen 2 it explains that El created all of the host of heaven and earth before they were in the earth and before they grew. In Ps 89 it says none can compare to Yahweh in the congregation of the Sons of El, the Holy Ones.

In Ps 86 it says “Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works. All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name. For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.”

Later both in Ps 45 and Heb 1 it explains Yahweh was anointed God by his God and was placed above his “fellows”. Yahweh is Lord of Host or commander of the sons of God. This is what Isa 44 is explaining

Isa 44
6 Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Meaning; of the host of heaven and earth he was the first, the firstborn .

and the last or only one of the host called/ anointed as God, the word God there is 'elohiym and is plural, there are no other Gods amongst the host as Ps 86 says.

7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.

The word ancient is `owlam meaning eternal, he appoints or ordains the eternal people or those host. So they can’t be equal to him. He among them alone has been anointed God.

8-9 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Are there Gods beside me? yea, there is no tsuwr/rock; I know not any. They that make a graven image are all of them vanity….

It is my contention that the beginning of paganism was the worship of these other sons of El who were placed as care givers over the different nations.

Deut 32
7 ¶Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee.
8 When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the son of El.
9 For the Lord’s portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.

In Israelite lore there were 70 of these sons of El which were placed over the various nations. Yahweh’s portion was Jacob but also he was the Lord of Host, commander of all the others.

We see this concept in Job 1 where the sons of God come to report to Yahweh. Yahweh was in charge and they reported to him as the mediator between mankind and El.

Like Lucifer these sons demanded to be worshipped and thus paganism was born, it was part of the war in heaven.

Yahweh goes on to warn them;

9 ¶They that make a graven image are all of them vanity; and their delectable things shall not profit; and they are their own witnesses; they see not, nor know; that they may be ashamed.
10 Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image that is profitable for nothing?

* Now back to “the rock” . In 2 Sam 22 David writes a poem from which I’ve pulled out a few passages;

“And he said, The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;

The God of my rock; in him will I trust: …
In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried to my God:…

The Lord thundered from heaven, and the 'elyown uttered his voice….

For I have kept the ways of the Lord, and have not wickedly departed from my God.

32 For who is God, save the Lord? and who is a rock, save our God?…

The Lord liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.”

Yahweh/Jesus is the God of Israel yet he has a God and Father.

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
It's wrong to assume that because different references are used for God that they are actually two different gods.

Take the following for example:
"The reporter asked Mr. Obama for his view on renewable energy and the president responded with a lengthy answer."

Obviously there are two people being addressed here - a Mr. Obama and the president. Obviously, they are not the same person. Right? No. To anyone who knows that the president's name is "Obama" this sentence makes sense. "President" and "Mr. Obama" are two different ways to refer to the same person.

"But in the sentence you see that 'Mr. Obama' is separated from 'president' because they are different people!" No, they refer to the same person, they are just two different ways to refer to that same person.

Likewise with "El" and "Yahweh". "El" is based on the Canaanite name for God and "Yahweh" is Hebrew. There are many other names and epithets for God that are used: El Shaddai, Adonai, Ha Shem, Elohim, etc. are not different gods but all references to the same God.

In mormonism they must push the concept of multiple gods because they are henotheists. They believe in the existence of many gods but claim to only worship one (which is really two, anyway - Heavenly Father and Jesus, who are two separate gods in the mormon religion). Mormonism is a perfect example of henotheism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jonah as in Jonah and the whale?
We all know who Jonah was. You had typed "Johan" and you had me confused as well. I was thinking you might have meant "John" or "Jonathan" but as easy as it is to see in hindsight I don't think I would figured out you meant Jonah.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We all know who Jonah was. You had typed "Johan" and you had me confused as well. I was thinking you might have meant "John" or "Jonathan" but as easy as it is to see in hindsight I don't think I would figured out you meant Jonah.

Ya know that is my dyslexia, until you point it out I didn't even notice it.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ya know that is my dyslexia, until you point it out I didn't even notice it.
I figured as much! No problem - sometimes it's easy to understand what someone meant but this time "Johan" was tough to figure as "Jonah"... Knowing it afterwards, it makes more sense :)

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's wrong to assume that because different references are used for God that they are actually two different gods.

Each of the examples I gave I chose specifically because it speak as if there is another person.

Yahweh does not say 'I' established it but uses the third person pronoun 'he' established it. The New Testament writers would agree with this passage, Jesus may have done the actual creation work but he did it under the direction of the Father, see Heb 1.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Each of the examples I gave I chose specifically because it speak as if there is another person.

Yahweh does not say 'I' established it but uses the third person pronoun 'he' established it.
First of all, referring to oneself in third person does not create a different, separate person. God is speaking about himself. Second, God makes it clear that there are no other gods when He says "and there is none else". If there is none else then either he's mistaken because there is another called Elohim or he's correct because He IS Elohim (and He is).

The New Testament writers would agree with this passage, Jesus may have done the actual creation work but he did it under the direction of the Father, see Heb 1.
Hebrews 1 doesn't say Jesus did "the actual creation work...under the direction of the Father". There is One God - The Father and the Son (along with the Holy Spirit) are One God, not "one in purpose" only, but literally one actual God.

Upvote 0