• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Help with migraines...

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'll skip the long story but REALLY short version is I am disabled and one of my major problems is I have migraine (dizzy, head pain...etc) REALLY often. Sometimes 20 a month. Sometimes less. Example I have one right now, its not to bad though.

So my question is when I have them I notice if I even gently press my lymph node under my chin (near back teeth) the pain gets 100x worse for a few seconds. Is this normal? Or could this be something else? Supposedly there is nothing wrong with my lymph nodes, but I can't help but notice those ones make my migraine worse if I touch them.

I do take pills for when I get migraines, headaches, cluster headaches....etc. But overall they don't seem to help that much. And when one kicks in it does not go away until I sleep usually.

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
OKay from the top.

Migraine and cluster headache pain are felt across any point of the trimalgic nerve that runs from the bone behind your ear and it splits to run across the lower jaw, the upper jaw and lower eye socket and the upper eye socket. With cluster headache the optic nerve likes to join in the pain as well which is why it feels like someone is trying to lazer burn your eye out from both sides whilst playing with a needle lance.

IF you press any point of the TMN during a migraine of course it will feel worse- the poor thing is already racing with pulsating pain massages. During a cluster attack you will not notice any other form of extra pain.

Cluster is best treated with ice packs and high flow oygen via a none rebreather mask, sumatriptain injections help. No other analgesic will work and you can store up rebounbd headaches on top. Verapamil is the first drug of choice to try and prevent attacks. If you suspect you have these you do need to see a neurologist. They are called suicide headaches by medics for a very good reason and you cannot stay still let alone sleep.

Migraine that happens more than once a month indicates a need for preventative drugs. There are four main groups of drugs used ; beta bloickers, calcium channel blockers, anti-epilepsy drugs and anti depressants. Its best to chat with a doctor about which tyope fo drug woiuld be best for you. If your loosing 20 days or more to headaches and requalrly taking analgesics it is a good idea to get medical advice as it could be rebound headaches rather than migraine. If you have more than 4 migraine a month it is wise to get a ref' to a neurologist with an interest in migraine or to a migraine clinic.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I got a big team of doctors. I also go to the headache clinic at the Cleveland Clinic. I take 7 meds (I use to be on 14 but took myself off of them with the docs permission). My meds are Flurbiprofan, Vimpat, Pottasium CT, Pravastatin, Lisinopril, Vimpat, Protriptyline, Advair and Levetiracetam. Thats not counting my natural supplements like Cranberry (for kidney stones) and Vitamin D.

My doctor has switched various meds so it helps with the headaches and also improves my vision issues. I at one point did have some headache injection thing where you came in every day for a few hours and they had an IV in that flushed your system I think and also gave it meds? I can't remember off hand. Some of the other meds are for heart issues I've had since my first seizure and brain injury.

The headaches that are really bad I have to lay down for and wrap my head in a magnetic headband and take some headache meds (which don't do anything most times). Its hard to fall asleep but it feels like the only option left. I remember one time it was so painful felt trapped and screamed in pain. I honestly felt like killing myself. Until the point I didn't understand why someone wanted to take a drill to their head. Now I know why. The pain gets that bad about 3-5 times a month.

When I was younger the said I had cluster headaches. Then they called them something else. Now they call them migraines. When I have them the pain is sometimes behind my eyes or where my temples are. Also I tend to feel pain near the middle/top of my head. I know my headaches are what got me on SSI. The doctor says surgery is always an option, but its a last resort and as long as my headaches are more under control (top some degree) they would rather avoid surgery because it has to many risks.

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2012
✟8,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to get frequent migraines, although they weren't really bad. Two things helped for me. One, I'd recommend you add magnesium to your supplements. My headaches basically disappeared once I started on them. Also, drink more water, especially at the onset of your migraine. Hopefully something will work for you!!

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I tend to make a Plan A, plan B and plan C but I also have a few reserves of d through to z.

Mine you I have also looked so ill people have offered to call an ambulence or on one noteable occasion have a bucket and bottle of waterready and waiting off stage 'just in case' I did not make it to the end of the presentation. :D [well you have to find a way to laugh or else you can end up without any life]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I suffered with severe, SEVERE migraines all my life, even as a child. Some lasted 10 days. It was rare not to have a headache. Just some encouragement.. when I turned 50 they started decreasing to the point that I rarely have one anymore and if I do an aspirin will knock it out.

Upvote 0