Help with Church turning Liberal

K

kidcrash

Seven years ago me and my wife found a Baptist Church, After some time we became members. We really loved the Pastor And all the people. After a couple years he decided to leave the church. We got a new Pastor and he is much more liberal than our last Pastor.

Where things get a little troubling is EVERY week he is praising members of the church during the sermon. If it happened every once and awhile we would not mind but it happens all the time. We believe in praising God and receiving the blessing for him.

My wife was in charge of the bulletin board and I was assisting her
around the 4Th of July. She had a Verse on it with a plaque that said one nation under God on it. One of the Young pastors told the senior pastor
that the plaque needs to come down as it may offend some people. We were ordered to take it down without an explanation.

We have been praying for the leadership of the church to change and we have talked with the SR pastor to no avail

could we please get some council from someone on this board.

Thanks

Last edited:

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
around the 4Th of July. She had a Verse on it with a plaque that said one nation under God on it. One of the Young pastors told the senior pastor
that the plaque needs to come down as it may offend some people. We were ordered to take it down without an explanation.

That would have really bugged me - did he offer an explanation as to why it would offend 'some people'?

Upvote 0
K

kidcrash

No the pastor is a young woman and she went to the SR pastor and demanded it be taken down. We were very upset about this and my wife talked with the pastor and he listened but would not give a reason.

There are some of the most faithful loving followers of Jesus at this church and that is one of the reasons we are still there. But I do not know for how long as I need to hear the Whole Bible preached not just the love of Jesus
and how great all of the servants at the church are. This is not coming from a Jaded parishioner as they have also praised me and my wife for what we do.

We do not need praise from man for our service to God as we recieve the blessing for serving.

Upvote 0

RomansFiveEight

A Recovering Fundamentalist
Feb 18, 2014
✟9,665.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
What is "liberal" about this Pastor that you don't like? That word means so many different things in so many different places. Just curious.

Not necessarily condoning or rejecting, or saying anyone is right or wrong; but I'll present to you an alternative point of view. For many of us, we view the church as a righteous embassy of God's kingdom. Foreign soil. Not of this world. In the U.S. flag code; only two locations are permitted to fly a foreign flag higher than the U.S. flag, and that's embassy's (which are recognized as foreign soil), and Churches. Though it's a rare practice, there are churches that fly the white 'Christian Flag' above or to the position of honor (to it's own right) the U.S. flag, indicating that they are in fact a foreign embassy. Some churches also do away with flags entirely.

It may be that your Pastor is among those who view the church as something a part of something universal, that has no national boundaries. It's not that you can't be patriotic, but perhaps your Pastor is one of the growing number of people who believe that it's not the churches role to be patriotic. But rather, to be focused solely on God; and not any nation, state, or other earthly (temporary) kingdom. Does that make sense?

I'm not suggesting you change your point of view; just offering an alternative point of view. It might not be that he's afraid of "offending someone" but rather, is trying to change the focus of the church.

Upvote 0
K

kidcrash

Thanks for the response, Very thought provoking. However our country was founded on Christianity and became great because of it. We have turned our back on God and the end result is what is happening in this country now.

This is why we are not happy about the issue with the Sign because if we still were one nation under God things would be ALOT different in this Country.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
technically all nations are under God ;)

I agree...way too many churches are becoming hyper-liberal. I said to one of the ministers tonight over dinner: "Only God knows..." in which he replied "Yeah, maybe." I was really taken back by that.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is all about Love. You forget God has placed leaders in the church and you are to submit to the teaching God has given them to a degree. I see errors in your theology. Just because God pours out His wrath does not mean He does not love those He pours it out of. Did God not say He sends rain on the righteous and wicked alike. God loves both, God punishes His children sometimes, He still loves them though. God is Love 1john 4:8.

So you want to hear your going to hell if you do this? Did Jesus preach this way? He said little in fact about hell, so why do you think the pastor should preach this way if Jesus did not?

short answer for you compare your pastor to the word of God, If he is true to the word you know God sent Him, if he preaches something different than God's word you know he is of the wicked one.

I don't know the whole situation but you seem to be in the wrong here, and are in need of instruction.

If you want to hear God's word you should be able to bring this up to your pastor,and I agree with you on this part you should all be opening your Bibles in church and hearing quotes. That is a valid request. That is what you should be speaking with him about. God might just be teaching him through you, and you might be being taught by God through your pastor. crazy thought huh.:D little joke to lighten up the post;)

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟68,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Seven years ago me and my wife found a Baptist Church, After some time we became members. We really loved the Pastor And all the people. After a couple years he decided to leave the church. We got a new Pastor and he is much more liberal than our last Pastor.

Where things get a little troubling is EVERY week he is praising members of the church during the sermon. If it happened every once and awhile we would not mind but it happens all the time. We believe in praising God and receiving the blessing for him.

We have been praying for the leadership of the church to change and we have talked with the SR pastor to no avail

could we please get some council from someone on this board.

Thanks
Your pastor needs a good deal of training and not in Left Wing Liberalism. If he were not replaced I would follow God to a new Church. This "right" to not be offended is a lie! I fell off the side of my diesel 8 or so years ago and am now in bed because my MS has gotten that rough and still, I am offended several times a day or more. And if you are in a Church that does not hold sacred the faith of our Founding Fathers, they are walking away from God... don't go with them.

Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
This might be a hit or miss. But let me try. Your pastor is very afraid of people leaving the church.

He may be thinking mistakenly that if he praises most members of the church, the members will feel pride in themselves and will be less likely to leave the church. He also does not take any chance of offending anyone, as he does not want the members to feel any discomfort and leave.

Also, what th1bill said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

We have been praying for the leadership of the church to change and we have talked with the SR pastor to no avail could we please get some council from someone on this board.
Thanks
Have you talked with the Senior Pastor about your concerns? He may not be aware of your concerns. If he will not take time to address your concerns, you should talk with your Deacons and get counsel on how best to address your concerns.

Also- How were you "ordered" to take it down and by who?
Is it your responsibility for the board in question as part of a decoration committee or a function of a position you serve in?
It sounds like you know the explanation of why it was desired to be removed, but not the details of what was particularly offensive. You are owed an explanation.

Stating - One Nation, World, or even Universe under God should not be offensive in a Christian environment.

Upvote 0