Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just an opinion so regard it as nothing more, but the OP sounds more like an atheist than a struggling Christian. To know as much as the OP seems to about the Bible and still find a conflict means that they either didn't understand what they read when they read it, or they read it with the intent to disprove it. Pardon my skepticism but to say you are a Christian, struggling or not and then turn around and claim in your next post that you think the Bible is errant or "not perfect" must be missing something when they open up the Bible or not being honest about what they actually believe or something because that doesn't add up.

K
O
f

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
:mad: I AM NOT AND ATHEIST!!!! How dare you call me and atheist!!! I may think there are flaws in the Bible because it only seems logical to me because my human mind perceives certain things as wrong using the brain and logic God gave me. How much of the Bible have you read? Have you read Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers Deuteronomy, Joshua and Judges? A great deal of violence is found in those books. Do you think it's OK to kill someone because they believe in a different god than you? I think we all would agree that this is wrong. My point is that a small part of the OT makes it seem like God is not really good and just. I know this is not true, I know He is a perfect god full of love, justice, mercy, grace, peace and joy. The Bible is a book written by men, God did not write it himself. He may have told people what to write though. Centuries may have gone by while stories were passed down orally before they were written down. Because it was written by flawed human beings, the Bible must have a few tiny flaws in it. People who think the Bible is perfect don't know the history of the Bible.

I believe the only laws modern Christians need to worry about are the two Jesus gave us, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and all your strength, and love your neighbor as you love yourself."
All else falls in line with that.
I don't like the verses that discriminate against women in the NT. What's wrong with women becoming ministers, teachers, or even politicians and leaders? I like Joyce Meyers' books and her ministry is great.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just an opinion so regard it as nothing more, but the OP sounds more like an atheist than a struggling Christian. To know as much as the OP seems to about the Bible and still find a conflict means that they either didn't understand what they read when they read it, or they read it with the intent to disprove it. Pardon my skepticism but to say you are a Christian, struggling or not and then turn around and claim in your next post that you think the Bible is errant or "not perfect" must be missing something when they open up the Bible or not being honest about what they actually believe or something because that doesn't add up.

K
O
f
theological differences doesn't always dictate one as an atheist or not. just find some atheists here on CF and ask them what they believe and you'll see that agape and them have a lot of difference...the obvious one, agape believes god exists, atheists don't.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You should study scripture and pray daily, and ask the Lord truly to help you find the truth. You shouldn't hang around things that will bring you down while you're not that strong in your faith, and when you build yourself up enough. (Though the Lord may use you before then, always be ready to serve!) You can try and reach out, and never stop praying for these friends. They're real people who Jesus died for too. I must strive to do the same!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Have you read Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers Deuteronomy, Joshua and Judges? A great deal of violence is found in those books. Do you think it's OK to kill someone because they believe in a different god than you? I think we all would agree that this is wrong.
I've hit the high points. And in Old Testament times, killing someone for idolatry in certain situations was right. These however, are New Testament times. The mission of God's people has changed from enforcing a theocratic government in a nation of chosen people to making converts all over the world and blurring the lines of distinction among such converts. Hence, it is wrong for the Christian to kill someone for unbelief.

Upvote 0

kingoffools13

Jun 14, 2007
PA
✟12,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
theological differences doesn't always dictate one as an atheist or not. just find some atheists here on CF and ask them what they believe and you'll see that agape and them have a lot of difference...the obvious one, agape believes god exists, atheists don't.
hehe, or they are supposed to not believe in him anyway ... either way i didn't say they didn't have differences, i said thats what it sounded like, my first suspicion was that there was another atheist disguised as a Christian on the boards, wouldn't put it past them for sure.

k
O
f

Upvote 0

Allegory

Aug 10, 2007
Toronto
✟2,254.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
hehe, or they are supposed to not believe in him anyway ... either way i didn't say they didn't have differences, i said thats what it sounded like, my first suspicion was that there was another atheist disguised as a Christian on the boards, wouldn't put it past them for sure.

k
O
f
Those darn atheists, always trying to steal your trix!

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟231,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you think it's OK to kill someone because they believe in a different god than you? I think we all would agree that this is wrong.
It's not OK for us to decide that.

Centuries may have gone by while stories were passed down orally before they were written down.

Without writing an entire essay on Jewish oral tradition, their oral tradition was a very accurate way of preserving their culture and history. Look up someting on Jewish oral tradition.

Because it was written by flawed human beings, the Bible must have a few tiny flaws in it. People who think the Bible is perfect don't know the history of the Bible.
It depends on what you mean by flawed. The teachings, concepts, history, doctrine, and even the words themselves, have proven rather accurate and well preserved.

I believe the only laws modern Christians need to worry about are the two Jesus gave us, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and all your strength, and love your neighbor as you love yourself."
All else falls in line with that.
I agree. That is how we find that we are, in fact, sinful.

I don't like the verses that discriminate against women in the NT. What's wrong with women becoming ministers, teachers, or even politicians and leaders? I like Joyce Meyers' books and her ministry is great.

I've seen and heard some vicious debates over this issue.

:cool:

Upvote 0

Disippelen

Peaceful Crusader
Dec 22, 2005
Oslo, Norway
✟16,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'm sorry to see that someone claims that others are atheists just because they may have some questions regarding the Bible and the understanding of it... We should avoid throwing out things like that at one another...

That said, it is interesting and sometimes confusing to examine to what degree we can trust in the Bible or not, and whether or not it is the Word of God. From what I've read on the subject, I now feel corageous to claim that the Bible is trustworthy and that it has not been altered throughout the centuries so that we today can claim it to contain false information about God. I trust the Bible. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GuacaMolly

Nov 1, 2007
Dallas
✟10,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I haven't read every single post, but I still wanted to weigh in on the original post, so I'm sorry if something I say has already been covered.

The Old Testament gives us a picture of what life was like before Grace. When people had to live their lives governed by a rule book and constant sacrifices to make up for their sins, because God can't stand to look at sin, so how could we come to him covered in it?

That is why it so awesome that Jesus came and did what He did-- he's become the ultimate sacrifice to cover everything that we do, He came so that---read this part slowly, it's amazing---

so that we could know God. So that we could have a personal relationship with the creator of the universe.

See, God doesn't owe us anything. We know right from wrong and we choose wrong. For that, we deserve death.

THANKFULLY, God IS a good and amazing God who wants to be with us and spend time with us! He sent his own son to die so that we didn't have to suffer the fullblown consequences of sin.

As for eternal hell--- eternal heaven is one breath away for everyone who has ever walked this earth. God doesn't "send" people to hell; they choose it when they deny Him.

Much love :hug: ,
Molly

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you all again for helping me with my questions and problems. I have grown considerately in my faith in Christ since writing this. I no longer question the Bible. I believe it is the pure and true word of God. I can explain all the difficult parts. The law about a virgin marrying her rapist is inaccurate translation. It is suppose to say seduced, not raped. If a teenage boy and girl have voluntary premarital sex, they are to get married instead of being stoned to death for fornication. This law is actually merciful. I think most rapists were punished with death in Biblical times. What if the girl was lying? How would they know who was telling the truth? What if a woman did not like a man and she lied about being raped so he would be executed? Considering that, maybe not all rapists were put to death because of the possibility of innocence. or it could have been consensual.

The pagans were very evil, they sacrificed babies and children to their horrible idols. They also "worshiped the goddess" with ritualistic prostitution. They were promiscuous. Those "goddesses of love" were harlots who practiced lust, not married faithful love.

Some people think religion is suppose to be somber, dull, boring, joyless, and I am very much against that. We are to enjoy church and serving the Lord. Jesus came so that we may have life, and have it abundantly.

Upvote 0

dmpeace

May 26, 2007
✟17,874.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Some people think religion is suppose to be somber, dull, boring, joyless, and I am very much against that. We are to enjoy church and serving the Lord. Jesus came so that we may have life, and have it abundantly.[/QUOTE]

Those people don't know the life of the True Living God that's why. In my Christian walk I have been drawn back to the world or thinking it would be fun to be that way again but then I realize how vain and empty and boring it is. As the Psalm says, In the presence of God is fullness of joy.

Upvote 0